Camera advice please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    P&s's are useful but Sods law says you rarely have the camera with you when that once in a lifetime shot comes up. Or if you do, you've got the wrong lens on. Thank god for phone cameras:-).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Well @boogieman.  Talking of that "once in a lifetime shot". 

I met a guy when I was shooting in the Lake District a few years back.  We were both in the same place by one of the picturesque landing stages on Derwent Water before sunrise, and got talking over several days meeting there.  He even put security tape across the landing stage to stop anyone else getting in the way, knocking gear over or causing vibration while taking exposures.  Luckily I was accepted on the right side of the tape, as he was always there first.

He was camped out on the fell side above the landing stage for over a week, just hoping for one morning with the perfect conditions.  We got talking about this strategy one morning whilst waiting for the sun to come up.

He had done the same a few years before in the Canadian Rockies, returned and set up every morning for two weeks to capture that elusive and magical shot in the most spectacular of settings.  When it was time to go, he had some good shots, but not the stunner he had worked so hard to capture.

Then a year or so later, he was looking through a magazine while waiting in an airport, and WOW, there was an advert with the most spectacular shot, the very one he had worked so hard to get.  On doing some research, it turned out that the "dream shot" had been taken by a holidaying dog walker, with no photographic knowledge, on a basic camera.  Right time, right place, adequate camera, and the spirit to recognise the worlds beauty.  Click - job done.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom