Distortion on bypass

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
Help!

I've just bought a lovely old Ibanez SD9 Sonic Distortion pedal - it all seems great, except when in bypass notes don't decay cleanly. It's a similar age pedal to the classic Tubescreamer TS9 perhaps someone has had similar with one of these?

Any ideas - I don't want to send it back, as they aren't exactly common...

Thanks!
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    This may not be exactly what you're after but i'm pretty sure the 9 series can be modded for true bypass if you can't get the buffered bypass to sound right.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Thanks - but it's not quite what I want to do with this.
    Anyone have any other ideas?

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Simple loop switcher to put the SD9 in and out of circuit.  They are often on here cheaply, or make your own.
    Doesn't solve the pedal issue, but would make it useable if you like the SD9, and it might come in handy later for something else.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    If it's leaking distortion into the bypass signal like the standard problem with the Boss SD-1, running another buffered pedal immediately before it will probably stop it. Not a 'fix' I know, but it might be a simple solution.

The fault may be caused by failing electrolytic caps, they're getting to that sort of age now in a lot of older pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brilliant @ICBM that 'fixed' it.

What is the root cause of that? I'd like to fix it properly... I also noticed that when the output cable is attached to an amp and nothing is plugged into the input there is an excruciating high pitched whistle.

Thanks for all the help so far.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    I think the problem is caused by the distortion leaking into the input buffer via the V/2 supply. It definitely gets into the audio path there, which is why running a buffered pedal before it 'fixes' the problem - by essentially shorting the leak to ground via the very low impedance of the output buffer before it. I have actually tried fixing it on SD-1s by improving the filtering, but never with 100% success, so it may be inherent to the pedal rather than a fault - I can't remember the last time I listened closely to a Sonic Distortion, although I owned one some years (… cough… decades…!) ago.

The whistle is because the input isn't grounded when no cable is in the jack, so it acts as an antenna.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, mate.