Played my 1st PRS today...

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
edited August 2018 in Guitar Reviews
Tried a PRS Mira today and it was absolutely ace.
This was my first PRS experience....mad after 40 years of buying and playing guitars. 
Now deciding on one instead of a Gibbo SG.
Better built by far...anyone own one??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JJWJJW Frets: 11
    Hi. Was it the PRS USA core Mira or the later  PRS S2 Mira ! I have a PRS S2 Mira they are great guitars. I'm not a fan of locking tuners but you can string them like a non locking tuner. I have owned Gibson SGs they main thing I found is the PRS has better ballance than the Gibson so no neck dive ! Also being able top coil tap the pickups is a plus. The othe thing I found was the SG necks were slim and you get neck flap the PRS neck is a little bigger and more stable.The only issue I had with the PRS is the finnish if you check out second hand ones you can see the clearcoat can lift and come off but it's not drastic. The other issues I found were the volume pot gave up the ghost along with the selector switch so I fitted a CTS USA volume pot and a USA CRL selector switch. I have tried to sell my PRS S2 for no other reason than I am a Fender player I also have other Gibson and Hamer USA guitars.I have found selling a Gibson of Fender is easier than selling something like a PRS or Musicman guitar even though I think the PRS & Musicman guitars play better ! I have only just joined this website so don't know how to list my PRS for sale if your interested I'm in SE London and you are welcome to try it out !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I had a beautiful PRS CU22 anniversary model. Amazing guitar. Having said that I eventually sold it. It was a dream to play but just too blingy for me. I much prefer worn, battered guitars. In a perfect world where I was rich with tons of storage space I'd have kept it.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    JJW said:
    I have found selling a Gibson of Fender is easier than selling something like a PRS or Musicman guitar even though I think the PRS & Musicman guitars play better !

Nowt' so strange as folk! I believe G&L come into that category too.
    I've just recently bought an SE PRS and I have to say I think the Korean guitar is better than the US Fender and Gibson I also have. But I guess they have the heritage!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    the above is so true
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I've owned / own five PRS guitars.  My first was an SE Custom Semi-Hollow, in Matteo blue, bought around 2007 when they first came out.  Foolishly I later sold it to a colleague.  In 2014 I bought my Core Studio 22, black gold top 10 finish, which I am currently gigging.  2017 I was searching for a semi-solid and realised that the guitar that I was looking for was the SE that I'd sold.  I wasn't able to buy back my original (I tried) so I bought a used one in a natural finish (this model had been discontinued).  I gigged it once, loved it, and so upgraded to an S2 Custom Semi-Hollow (in blue again).  My son now has the SE.  Latest addition is an SE Chris Robertson Single Cut (blue yet again).  I'm still getting to grips with this one as, for some reason, I don't seem to get on so well with single cuts.  I'm also a little frustrated with the intonation / tuning stability so it may get treated to a pro setup if I can't fettle it myself.

Over all.  The core models are fantastic but they come at a price and they're not for everybody (too boutique for some).  The S2's are less frills and I love mine.  I just wish that I'd held off on the SE single cut and gone for the S2 version instead.

The SEs are good guitars for their price range and I wish that they's been around when I was starting out.
  • I've never played a Mira but if it's anything like any my other PRSi then it should be stellar. I'm privileged to currently own four PRS electrics. I started with a Custom22 back in 2008 and became addicted. Now I have added a David Grissom Trem (DGT), a Singlecut hollowbody and a Doublecut Triple Soapbar. All are EXCELLENT guitars out of the box and have never needed additional setting-up from a luthier unlike my Fenders/Gibsons. I'd buy a PRS over a Gibson any day.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Owned an early example for going on for 10 years. Great all-round, useful, working instrument, totally solid, totally reliable, has needed absolutely no fettling or tweaking between opening the case for the first time and now.

Not necessarily the most charismatic and involving of instruments (although the fetching shade of lilac mine’s finished in helps make a bit of a statement!). Mine has sometimes stayed in its case for weeks at a time when I was between bands, but when I need something which I know I can 100% rely on to help me deliver a performance without any fuss it always comes out again.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    The all-mahogany DGT is at the top of my sell-a-kidney list.
  • I have owned a couple of PRS SE models and agree that the build quality and playability are great but must say that the sound from both of them was a little lacking.
    Both were single cuts ( a 245 and a Zach  Myers ).

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730

Every SG owner should have one instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Love this!!
  • I'm 62 and, when I started playing, the Les Paul was my idea of the 'ultimate' guitar. I've never owned one but I've played a fair few Standards and was always disappointed in the experience. Five years ago I bought a PRS Bernie (long story). I changed the pick ups for a BK Abraxas set and upgraded the tuners. It's one of the best guitars I've ever played. A year later I got a great deal on an S2 Singlecut. Put in some BK Rebel Yells and it's another amazing guitar. If I could only keep one of them it would be an agonising choice. My main guitar of many years was a Gibson SG Junior '63 which is now retired. At one point I acquired an all-original '69 SG Standard - worst guitar I've owned.   
  • Dave23Dave23 Frets: 0
    We never got to know what the origin of Jon Hosker's PRS Mira was. I had a S2 some time ago - a nice guitar but I was looking for something a bit different. I resisted PRS for a long time until a USA Hollowbody2 came my way last year, followed by a McCarty 594 and recently a Swamp Ash Special (pre Narrow Field).
    I tried a Silver Sky but was very disappointed, especially considering all the pre-sale hype. They didn't have to waste much time on the Fender Strat inspired design, and, to me, the JM pickups were very lacklustre. At a price tag of £2K+ you really would expect, at the very least, that a hard case would be included, not just a gig bag. Has anyone else out there been disappointed, or is it just me?
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    As the OP, I have never bought a PRS, but have realised my brand snobbery for other brands and a lack of opportunity of coming near to PRS guitars over the years.
    I have stopped buying guitars now, but a DGT would be no.1 on my list if I was.
    best wishes all
    jon
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 333
    I’ve owned 6 PRS cores and currently have 4. Incredible instruments, but I don’t think the comparisons with Gibson are helpful.  A PRS is never going to sound like a LP, or have that vibe. Completely different thing. 
  • I purchased an SE Mira on a deal. I didn’t love it but I did love some things about it.
    I sold the Mira and purchased a brand new S2 Vela Satin, which is fantastic.
  • Dan_1Dan_1 Frets: 93
    I’ve owned a few PRS over the years (all core models). Great guitars, but the pickups are hit & miss for me (I play more high gain stuff), and I’ve ended up selling them all because ultimately I can’t get on with the trem. I find the trem arm to be too flimsy and the trem itself overly stiff and therefore way less responsive than a Gotoh 510 for example. Even tried removing springs and backing off the tension so it’s virtually floating, but it ends up detuning on big bends when I do that. Anyone had the same issues? 
    It’s frustrating as they’re amazing guitars otherwise, but I use the trem a lot and so it’s important to me that it’s usable. Could just be me and my lack of skill in setting them up, but interested to hear others’ thoughts. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited October 2021
    Dan_1 said:
    I’ve owned a few PRS over the years (all core models). Great guitars, but the pickups are hit & miss for me (I play more high gain stuff), and I’ve ended up selling them all because ultimately I can’t get on with the trem. I find the trem arm to be too flimsy and the trem itself overly stiff and therefore way less responsive than a Gotoh 510 for example. Even tried removing springs and backing off the tension so it’s virtually floating, but it ends up detuning on big bends when I do that. Anyone had the same issues? 
    It’s frustrating as they’re amazing guitars otherwise, but I use the trem a lot and so it’s important to me that it’s usable. Could just be me and my lack of skill in setting them up, but interested to hear others’ thoughts. 
    You might need to look at a Floyd Rose-equipped one, be it the expensive USA or an SE. That might be a better fit although you're in locking nut faffy territory which the Gotoh's don't have.

I'm not sure if the 2021 ones have the latest TCI pickups but I've found them to be excellent on the ones I've tried and an improvement on their past pickups and to date, I've had 5 PRS guitars.

Having tried many guitars and being more of a Superstrat guy, I've come back to PRS as they're just a solid, reliable and play wonderfully and a 10" radius is where I'm at. A 35th Anniversary 2020 PRS DGT (nitro) has come into the fold in the last month and it's my second but this one is an absolute cracker. Quite light at 7.5lbs and very resonant and this has the new version pickups and the the coil-splits are even better than before

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 823
    edited March 2022
    I’ve owned 26 PRS guitars. I still have 5 I love the build quality (SE’s included) and the wide fat necks but not the pickups. Tuning stability is superb and the ergonomics just works for me. I gig them all the time- none of them are case queens!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    edited March 2022
    I never wanted a PRS, was mostly a strat guy
    I bought an Epi LP, didn't like it, a new Gibson 335 and a used chambered LP, not so keen in the end, sold the 335,
    traded the LP for a PRS.. what a difference. By chance got another PRS within a week on an amp trade with a mate. Still have those 2, plus one other, and got some SE models too
    Tuning stability is amazing, I have no idea why people still buy Gibsons

The newer pickups are great, not so impressed with some of the older ones though

For hollowbodies, I bought an Ibanez Japanese Pat Metheny, years ago, he's played them for decades and I can see why