D'addario ball end unravelling

What's Hot
normula1normula1 Frets: 662
I've recently had two top e strings unravel at the ball end. It was most noticeable after dropping significantly detuning and then back up again at which point the string simply unravelled. Happened on a strat and an SG.
Anyone else suffering?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    Yes. I had one last week. Similar situation. I’ve been setting up a new guitar which involved reducing and increasing string tension several times while I moved the saddles. Nowadays I prefer Newtone, but they have round cores which risk unwinding if you take the strings off. So used one of my remaining D’Addario sets.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    Yes, I've had this happen with several packs of D'addario strings when I tried them during 2019.  Never had it in 25yrs of EB superslinkies.  I put it down what I assumed to be fake packs rather than a genuine manufacturing fault.  Went back to EBs though.
  • Interesting. I restrung my Gretsch earlier and I usually stretch my strings in real good before playing. 

I pull each string at 3 locations across its length several times. 
    Then I fret each fret on a given string from the first to the 10th odd while tugging it upwards with the other hand. I do that entire process on all strings 3 times over. 

I then snip the ends at the tuners and repeat the above process across all strings one last time. 

After that they’re settled in, they will be ready to play and wont deviate any more than ‘normal’ from pitch. 

However, today the high e, which is usually solid along with the b after just 2 or 3 stretches in kept going way flat with bends. 

It was reminiscent of a problem I’d come across before on two different guitars with the high e whereby the string would slip at the tuner when bending. 

Id have to keep retuning it every time it went flat with a bend, til eventually the string just unravelled from the tuning post of its own accord!

Though now I use the one over and wrap a good few times under thingy method, so that should negate any slippage there. Plus I left a little amount of string sticking out the tuner hole which has remained the same in length, so it couldnt have slipped from that end.. 

It eventually settled down but it was odd.. maybe it was the ball end? Or maybe my shite stringing.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Some strings can untwist themselves at the ball end if they’re not made properly. I can’t remember having ever come across it with a D’Addario, but it’s possible. All manufacturing has occasional faults, sometimes QC misses it. It used to be a ‘done thing’ to solder up the twist on some strings, but I can’t remember what brands...

[Thread diversion]

You really don’t need to ‘stretch’ strings with anything like that complex a method. Steel strings don’t actually stretch.

All you’re doing is tightening the wrap on the post and forming the string to the bridge saddle etc. A good firm pull in the middle of the string will do that perfectly well - I do it as I tune up to normal tension.

If the strings are slipping on the posts, the ‘half back turn and lock under’ method will stop that completely. There’s no need for excessive string wrapping - that just means there’s more to have to pull tightly, which gives the impression that the string is stretching, when actually it‘s just the coil on the post tightening up.

Ideally you want the minimum possible amount of wrap on the posts - less than one full turn if you can. The exception is the G string on Fender-type guitars with no second string tree - you usually need more wrap to create enough of a break angle at the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    ICBM said:

[Thread diversion]

You really don’t need to ‘stretch’ strings with anything like that complex a method. Steel strings don’t actually stretch.

All you’re doing is tightening the wrap on the post and forming the string to the bridge saddle ...
    Players of headless guitars can confirm this.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Laborious, I know, but for years, I’ve coated the wrap on all plain strings with solder.
    no slippage or breaks. Give it a try.
  • Was def. unusual. I've used D'addarios for as long as I can remember with no issues so I'm assuming that it's just a bad batch
  • On budget Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato tailpieces, burrs around the string anchoring holes can cut into the strings. (Easily remedied with a round file.)

Kahler Pro and Flyer vibrato string anchors are ideally shaped to tear the ball ends clean off strings during over-enthusiastic upwards bends. The (partial) remedy was to tin over the string end wraps with solder before fitting them.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Some D'Addario batches had this problem a while back. Let them know, they'll want to know about it and they'll probably sort you out some new ones
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 156
    tFB Trader
    Hey folks,
    Adam from D'Addario here.

It s pretty rare but as ICBM mentioned, it can occasionally happen.

If you have the issue repeatedly with various strings / brands I'd suggest trying our pre-soldered guitar strings (which were designed as this was a particular problem with some Kahler trems). As this has only happened with a couple D'Addario strings it may well have been a manufacturing fault.
    Drop me a DM and I'll put it right for you.

Also, some really good info in this thread re string 'stretching' etc.

• JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    normula1 said:
    Was def. unusual. I've used D'addarios for as long as I can remember with no issues so I'm assuming that it's just a bad batch
    I did this when using D'addarios as I was having problems with them unwinding.
    Shame as I really like the strings otherwise.... I've been using Picato strings for a while now without issue.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I'm surprised you don't break loads of strings with your laborious string stretching routine.
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 122
    I had this problem with a packet of D'addarios the other month when the high e string unwound!
    The annoying thing was it was a set of steinberger transposing strings.
    So in the bin they went!
  • Sassafras said:
    I'm surprised you don't break loads of strings with your laborious string stretching routine.
    Never in 10+ years broke a single string! Usually Eb’s though for that time. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...