Help me choose a neck pickup for my LP!

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1221
I'm looking to change the neck pickup in my LP Standard to something that I can only describe as being 'strat' like. You know, that nice bell like tone. The BK Mule in it at present may as well be in the next room, it's SO muddy.

Thank you!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    Oil City Brassknuckle or Seymour Duncan Stag Mag - they're actual 'double Strat' pickups mounted on a humbucker baseplate.They sound almost exactly like a Strat pickup when coil-split, and tolerably close even as a full humbucker.

Or Lindy Fralin P-92, which is a split (3+3, bass and treble strings) single coil and is very bright and clear.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Oil City Winterizer II. 

Alegree does something humbucker-sized with a Fender-y voice. (Might be a “staple” type?)

Anything with a true Strat voice is likely to have a low output compared to even a regular P.A.F. spec humbucker.

The DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell is purported to sound a bit Stratty in the neck/Rhythm position.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I have a BKP Abraxas set in my PRS Bernie and the neck pickup is the clearest, brightest neck pickup I've used and it's supposed to be more or less identical to the Mule. What have you got in the bridge ?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Abraxas neck
    VH2 neck

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ricorico Frets: 1221
    I have a BKP Abraxas set in my PRS Bernie and the neck pickup is the clearest, brightest neck pickup I've used and it's supposed to be more or less identical to the Mule. What have you got in the bridge ?
    I have a Mule in the bridge, which is lovely!
  • rico said:
    I have a BKP Abraxas set in my PRS Bernie and the neck pickup is the clearest, brightest neck pickup I've used and it's supposed to be more or less identical to the Mule. What have you got in the bridge ?
    The Mule bridge is supposed to be a fair bit brighter than the Abraxas. Maybe you need a less bright pickup in the bridge so that it matches the EQ of the neck pickup better. Or maybe there's a fault with your neck pickup ? 
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    rico said:
    The Mule bridge is supposed to be a fair bit brighter than the Abraxas. Maybe you need a less bright pickup in the bridge so that it matches the EQ of the neck pickup better. Or maybe there's a fault with your neck pickup ? 
    Maybe I have a particularly dark guitar but the neck pickup is just so muddy, maybe I should check the pot/cap?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    If it’s a Les Paul Standard it may have 300K volume pots, which won’t help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    From this and another recent pickup thread, it's funny how differently we perceive things.

When I read the first part of the post my first thought was "I doubt any humbucker will sound that much like a Strat pickup" and my second was "the Mule possibly gets there more than other humbuckers I've heard" lol
  • Dimarzio Eric Johnson. Very Fendery indeed.