Bat shit crazy, but doing it anyway!

What's Hot
60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
edited September 2020 in Guitar
I'll say it first, yes, this is stupid. I know! Allow me to explain why i'm stupid. Which i am ^^

My problem, in as far as the forum may be concerned 'cause Lord knows i have plenty, lol, is that what's left on the side after our usual, isn't what it used to be.
As such, i could either buy a relatively cheap guitar by paying it one off, or buy whatever i wanted with monthly installments (this is from the card, sans interest, not your UK credit approval thing, which approval aside, sometimes also involves a deposit. I think).
Only in this crappy bananaland that i am, there's a disappointingly limited number of shops that offer the option, and what guitars they have aren't to my liking, with one exception, monthly installments too, but it cost a bit more than what i thought sane for a first timer.
Worse still, even excluding the payment options, the brands and models stores available down here have are a lot fewer than i'd have thought possible, small country notwithstanding.
It is how i ended up on Thomann (no monthly payments but a huge range of instruments), how i ended up on a PRS SE Hollowbody II and how i also ended up here, asking your opinions about it.

And i was about to buy the damn thing too. Because it made sense given my plethora of parameters. Because its pricing was within my 'one off' capabilities. Because if i gave up, i wouldn't cry me rivers over it.
All very logical.
But it's not what i think of when i tell myself out loud "electric guitar". Electric, you ken? It's also not aesthetically pleasing to me, i am a very difficult person with colours. I 'hear' in colours too, am really sensitive to tones and hues, even more so with mismatches; think different neck and body colouring. Think multi-coloured body.
So very logical a choice, but.. not really me damn it.
Been up all night pondering and have finally decided i'm gonna buy that one model i originally liked; until i saw the pricing that is and went running to Thomann, lol

Am waiting for her to wake up, so i can tell her before i buy it. I find it helps. Sometimes. Never forget diplomacy folks!

So, what is it? Assuming the site's uploading helps me, have yet to manage? Ta-daa!:

https://imgur.com/a/BKMUtld

Don't like the pickguard, but i can change that anytime. The rest i adore. You ask me what was originally in my head? This is it, colour, wood, the lot.
It's 115euro a month, for 18 months. Am down with that. Don't know if she is, but it's happening. Diplomacy first and all

What happens if i give up? Too bad for me. But, i've been waiting for this for years, first it was work, then the house, then my new place of work, kept putting it off and i need the distraction. For me.
All i can say ^^
Now feel free to crap all over me, but i'm so doing this. Tempted to wake her up, but i'll wait, lol

Also, what is it with the image uploading? Will try again. Still trying. Read the post in the 'Help' section too ^^
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There’s a lot of people who are really against paying for things in instalments. People who will tell you to save for something etc etc.

Usually (unsurprisingly) these are people who tend to have a lot of money already. 

Speaking as someone who as a rule doesn’t ( 5 kids, low paying job, and all the usual bills and life expenses etc) I have no issues with paying for things this way as long as it’s affordable and manageable. 

With regards to the guitar however, especially if it’s a big investment, I would at least make sure that it was something that appealed more than just aesthetically. Of course a guitars looks come into it but that’s only a bit of the equation. 

At some point soon I intend to spend what is ( to me anyway) a significant amount of money on a guitar and over the last while, between buying and selling, and generally playing as many as possible I’ve realised that there’s a certain type that I like ( really wanted a strat, thought I’d love it, didn’t!) and lots that I don’t!

But in the end life’s too short to not have a nice guitar, so if it’s really what you want then I say go for it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Am in a similar position, albeit am guessing you've gathered as much.

Nothing to contradict you with, you make perfect sense, i just don't see this as an investment really; unwisely perhaps, but this is just me doing that one thing i've been wanting for years now. Many years.
    One day i happened to see a Japanese Tokai 'strat', 70s something, natural colour, very similar to the Ultra am linking above. Man had brought it with him, was working in our embassy there back then. Love at first sight, wanted to hold her. Just like until today, so back then, i was putting it off, so even though the price was very good (former client of mine), i refrained.
    And have been regretting it ever since. Hell, haven't even come across one that looked like it since.
    But.. life.
    Fast forward it to my recently seeing the one linked above, similar emotional jolt right there and then, and again, i initially thought fuck it, be reasonable.
    But i don't want to spend another good number of years regretting this too =)

I haven't tried it out, no, nor have i the empirical knowledge to guide me. But i know how a strat feels like, no problem even with the older fatter necked ones. This one (apparently 'Ultra' isn't exactly what one may think, based on what i'm reading) should be a breeze. So goes the hoping, lol

Assuming it hasn't been sold out and they simply haven't updated their stock yet (with my luck..), i'll post some pics whenever it is it arrives here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • P.S. what are you thinking of buying btw? Rude of me, sorry.
  • 60cycles said:
    P.S. what are you thinking of buying btw? Rude of me, sorry.
    A nice Les Paul. Most probably a used Gibson, and not for a couple of years ( as I said I’m fine with paying things off but only when it’s manageable). 

But yeah that’s the long term goal!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Gorgeous strat, a really nice choice. 

As for the financial commitment you put in to in, that’s no one’s business outside you and your family. I do think that spending a pound on something that won’t inspire you or fulfil your dream, compared to spending two pounds on something that will is a missed opportunity.

I hope you have many years learning and growing with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    strat looks ace.....the world is built on credit,  if it doesnt mean the kids starve then i would buy it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    mgaw said:
    strat looks ace.....the world is built on credit,  if it doesnt mean the kids starve then i would buy it
    This, but depends on the kids. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There’s a lot of people who are really against paying for things in instalments. People who will tell you to save for something etc etc.

Usually (unsurprisingly) these are people who tend to have a lot of money already. 

I would counter with a suggestion that not using expensive credit is a very good way to save money rather than giving a wedge to lenders every month. I 100% understand and agree with the idea that being poor is expensive (see Pratchet’s excellent description on the cost and value of cheap boots) but one of the best things you can do is not to buy something you don’t *need* on expensive credit. 

In this case it sounds like there’s a 0% deal available which makes it a different kettle of fish.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MattPMattP Frets: 270
    Doesn't sound crazy at all. There's nothing at all wrong with buying something just because you like it. Provided of course it doesn't cause you financial hardship (and it seems very much like you've thought that through) then go for it - every purchase doesn't need to be justified as an investment, or as something you use so much you'll wear it out, or whatever. 

You clearly love the natural Strat look, and are familiar with how one plays. On that basis, it should give you a lot of joy to own and learn to play on.  

And yes, please post pics once it arrives!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited September 2020
    At some point soon I intend to spend what is ( to me anyway) a significant amount of money on a guitar and over the last while, between buying and selling, and generally playing as many as possible I’ve realised that there’s a certain type that I like ( really wanted a strat, thought I’d love it, didn’t!) and lots that I don’t!

But in the end life’s too short to not have a nice guitar, so if it’s really what you want then I say go for it. 

Same here, agree with all this. I keep looking at cheaper Les Pauls but what I really want is a proper one! Can't afford it all in one payment but I could probably go for the 9 months 0% finance if I put the money I was going to spend on a cheaper copy on the deposit instead. To be honest when I get it I'll probably like it enough to sell my SG and pay off a good chunk of the remaining credit too  I think so long as you can afford it then why not. Beats waiting those 9+ months of saving up to buy it - also usually when I have a chunk of money saved, something inevitably comes up that needs to be paid with those savings.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    one problem I see about stretching out a big purchase on a guitar is that it becomes such a large investment it will hold you back from enjoying it properly. It may end up spending more time in the case for fear of damaging what may become an irreplaceable item
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That is a great looking strat  I’m pleased you are buying it for yourself if it will make you happy , 
      Hope you get endless hours of pleasure from it. 
  • 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    edited October 2020
    Apologies for the belated reply, didn't just disappear
    And probably repeating myself, but sincere thanks to you all. You've been very accommodating and friendly, much obliged. Guess i picked the right forum after all.
    Thanks a lot folks.

So since i'm logged in again finally, got good news and bad news:

Bad news is the guitar was actually sold, they just never updated their website. It still shows as "in stock" for that matter.. some, what, ten days later? Gotta love organising. I got pissed (off that is, i tend to skip on the other), then i got some more pissed.
    Good news is that i haven't had much time to brood over this, as work picked up a bit, expecting to land an extra, unexpected paycheck from a contract that literally came out of nowhere. So that helps with the mood. Plenty in fact ^^

It's really been a journey and i don't even have it yet. Very 'me', very. Got a pretty thick skin, so you wanna joke about it, it's all good!
    As mentioned, have been pretty busy, but one can always steal a few minutes from here and there. I've learned things about woods and glues and manufacturing i had not the slightest about really.

So all that said and assuming you aren't snoring by now? Two options:
    - Wait for ten(nish) more days for said paycheck and buy the exact same guitar, upfront this time, from Peach, they list it as 'in stock'. Don't laugh you bastards..
    - Or, take an offer i received through a PM from a member here and i gotta say, my fear of buying used aside, it's tempting, a real beauty:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WFmAdnR2MnPB2ZoceUvenQ75K-rhflia
    (not mentioning his name yet as the PM was private and i'd hate to be rude. Maybe he'll post himself)

Will update accordingly. Maybe we can get some popcorn out and everything, lol

Once again guys, really appreciate your patience with me.
    Internet isn't usually a welcoming place, do sincerely appreciate the warm welcome
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8360
    Are you paid by the word?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    edited October 2020
    Hattigol said:
    Are you paid by the word?
    I blame my publisher, they really should hire a better editor

On a more serious note, i'm a ways older than the 9second span generation, so economy is not a consideration. Lastly, i tend to type as i would speak, if i knew you and felt comfortable enough with you. I may not, but anonymous as this is, i find me in such a spot anyway.
    Much to your dread as it turns out ^^
    If the pm offer is from someone in the community here, I’d personally be very comfortable buying that way. If it’s someone who only ever appears in their own for sale threads, less so. 

Either way it goes, I’m glad you’re getting closer to that Grail :)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    edited October 2020
    You only live once .....except for Cliff Richard of course .Go for if it  you want it ,This towns full of sin anyway .
  • " Whatever you're going to do - do it, now. "  Doris Lessing.
    rossi said:
    You only live once .....except for Cliff Richard of course 
    And a schertain schpy, naturally.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    edited October 2020
    Just add the total cost of  the credit if any to the total price .What will it be in a few years time .Maybe inflation will absorb the credit cost especially with Fender.
    dazzajl said:
    rossi said:
    You only live once .....except for Cliff Richard of course 
    And a schertain schpy, naturally.

That was for your eyes only .