Music Man rosewood necks

What's Hot
joeWjoeW Frets: 564
I have had an MM EVH for almost 30 years and have always loved the maple neck on it.  I was looking at the all Rosewood necks on the St V’s and AL models and wanted to know if anyone had any experience of how they compare to the maples.  Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I couldn’t comment on comparisons of the two but I can say the solid rosewood neck of the Albert Lee neck I had was absolutely gorgeous. I regret selling that guitar :( 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 564
    I couldn’t comment on comparisons of the two but I can say the solid rosewood neck of the Albert Lee neck I had was absolutely gorgeous. I regret selling that guitar :( 
    Thanks for info HP - neck feel is the most important thing in my view - its by a distance the main point of contact with the guitar.  Plus I have all the gunstock cleaning stuff so its no problem to maintain,
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited October 2020
    Again, never got to compare against the maple, but the neck on my all rosewood axis ss was excellent. Nothing not to like really.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited October 2020
    Not compared but the rosewood neck on a friend's AL HH was just gorgeous and one of the best feeling I've ever played.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1587
    edited October 2020
    I have two Albert Lees, one with a regular maple neck and one with a solid rosewood neck. Not sure if I could say I prefer one over the other, they’re different but not that different, and I like both. The rosewood is maybe a tiny bit “draggier” but it imparts such a nice warmth in tone and feel(!). As you know, the maple is a lovely feeling finish too.
  • I've got Maple, rosewood and ebony finger boards on my Music Man basses. My favourite at the moment is Ebony but I prefer Rosewood to maple. The unfinished maple necks get a bit grubby over time, even if cleaned and scrubbed with Gunstock oil etc. and I find the maple necks seems to feel a bit stickier and a bit slower under the fingers. They do look good though and Music Man knows how to choose a good bit of maple!

I'm not sure if the guitars have the same wax/ oiled finish on their maple boards though. 
  • MarchMarch Frets: 300
    I've owned both solid maple and rosewood necked Music Man's and feel wise there is nothing to seperate them. The rosewood neck is every bit as smooth and slinky under the hand as the maple.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 564
    Thanks all - appreciate the feedback and am probably going to try and find an Albert Lee model with a fully RW neck - perhaps even a St Vincent - love the less conventional look of both and i have fairly classic looking guitars, so that's my excuse for buying another guitar I don't really need...   
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    edited October 2020
    joeW said:
    Thanks all - appreciate the feedback and am probably going to try and find an Albert Lee model with a fully RW neck - perhaps even a St Vincent - love the less conventional look of both and i have fairly classic looking guitars, so that's my excuse for buying another guitar I don't really need...   
    That was/is exactly my thinking when buying guitars. I never like to follow the herd and want to be just me if you know what I mean. I do have a strat too though cos you just can’t get ‘that’ sound without any other guitar I’ve found    Albeit the Albert Lee HH I had was the closest single coil / strat sound I liked with its coil tapping options etc  :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom