Pickup reading anomaly

What's Hot
Last year i bought a replica XII pickup, and when it arrived it read 5.5ish on my multimeter, which was much less that the 7k that I'd asked for. I agreed a partial refund with the guy who was very good about it it and I put the pickup to one side with the intention of selling it down the line. I've now got round to putting it up for sale and have just re-done the reading for the ad and it's coming out at 6.89!!! I remember checking the reading a few times when i got it, to be absolutely sure that there was a problem before contacting the seller, so it isn't just a case of one dodgy reading. How can something like this happen? I haven't changed the battery in the meter and it's always worked  and given readings that I've expected for many components, so I don't think it can be that. Could temperature changes be playing a part?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    if you were holding the meter probes in your fingers you can add your body resistance into the circuit giving a false reading
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15266
    The meter battery is the most obvious culprit. OTOH, the resistance reading from the coil(s) can vary with temperature. 

In the meantime, you might want to contact the pickup builder, explain the situation and refund the refund.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The meter battery is the most obvious culprit. OTOH, the resistance reading from the coil(s) can vary with temperature. 

In the meantime, you might want to contact the pickup builder, explain the situation and refund the refund.

I'm surprised that a difference as large as that could be related to temperature. I bought it in September last year, so the temp will be roughly the same.

I've already sent the guy a message and will do the necessary.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15266
    I'm surprised that a difference as large as that could be related to temperature.
    So am I.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

• I'm surprised that a difference as large as that could be related to temperature.

That's what she said. :#

Seriously though - that's very odd, especially if the battery isn't a factor. I've had a few variances in readings a few months apart for a pickup, but never to the magnitude of ~20%.

Good on you for getting back in touch with the seller though, a lot of people wouldn't.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    You can reduce the reading if  you were holding it in such a way your bodies resistance was in parallel with the coil. That will give a lower reading. 

DC resistance and impedance aren't the sane thing. Did you have it on DC OHMs's or an impedance setting ... basically an impedance reading is affected by the construction of a conductor, like a speaker coil or a pickup coil or an inductor for example. 

It's not temperature ... you need to go very very cold for the resistance of a piece of wire to change. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    You can reduce the reading if  you were holding it in such a way your bodies resistance was in parallel with the coil. That will give a lower reading. 

DC resistance and impedance aren't the sane thing. Did you have it on DC OHMs's or an impedance setting ... basically an impedance reading is affected by the construction of a conductor, like a speaker coil or a pickup coil or an inductor for example. 

It's not temperature ... you need to go very very cold for the resistance of a piece of wire to change. 

I think this is probably it. I have a basic multimeter and always use the resistance setting, as I think that's all it has.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I don't understand the importance people place on a pickup's resistance.
    I don't think it's a reliable indication of output.
  • Sassafras said:
    I wanted it to balance well with the bridge pickup, so it seemed like the obvious reading to use.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Sassafras said:
    I wanted it to balance well with the bridge pickup, so it seemed like the obvious reading to use.
    It's only a useful guide when everything else is identical, because it gives an approximation of the difference in the number of turns. And even then, not quite - the resistance rises faster than the number of turns as the length of wire in each turn becomes longer as the coil gets fatter, although that's probably irrelevant over the sort of range here.

I can't explain such a big discrepancy as a reading of 5.5K from a 7K pickup though. Temperature shouldn't make that much difference, and I think that if the multimeter battery was on the way out it would stop working at all long before it gave that big an error.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom