Playing guitar - the end in itself or just the means? Which one are you?

What's Hot
Another thread has caused me to want to ask this...

I play guitar because I love making music with it. I'd play guitar if I was on a desert island and no-one even knew it was happening. For me, it's the end in itself.

I understand that some people make their living by being a guitarist (pre CV-19) and some of them (not all) might stop playing if they retired or changed profession. It's the means to an end.

There are also many people who love gigging (on a semi-pro or amateur basis) who only play guitar because they like being in a band and doing gigs. 

Which one are you? And what are you doing now?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    Playing guitar is my mindfulness.  It freezes the thoughts in my brain for a while and fills my body with endorphins. This feeling i like crave and need. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I only do it cos the chicks dig it.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I play because I enjoy it. Mostly. But it’s never that simple. I labour over the thoughts that I should be more creative, should get out and play more (COVID aside), should practice better, etc. But it’s best when I just throw on some Megadeth and play along or a jam track on YouTube and just let myself play. But I make sod all from it and never will. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Generally I love playing music but not just on guitar. As an instrument I find playing piano more enjoyable and certainly more rewarding and practical as a solo instrument. I don't know if I would bother playing guitar if I wasn't in a gigging or recording band. The gig's might have gone now but I've been really enjoying writing, recording and getting music released. So at the moment there's still a purpose, an end game to work towards.

I have quite a few friends who are really into guitars. They have sizeable collections, enjoy going round music shops and looking online. I've always enjoyed the playing but have zero interest in the actual guitar as an object  and find it completely bizarre people seem to care what amplifiers look like or paint jobs on effects pedals.  

So no gig's this year but a shedload of gigs booked next year with a new agent. In the meantime it's all writing recording and learning that craft after years of being a covers artist. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    I don’t even really play much/at all any more, I’ve got more into repairing/modifying/bolting together bitsas, initially for myself, now for family/friends 
    I think I’ve said this on here before, I worry that I use the guitars and the fact that I “play” as a prop to my personality or something 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 352
    It’s very much an end for me and like Fastonebaz it’s a form of mindfulness.

i would usually play a couple of different musical styles in a couple of bands, but that’s all off at the moment.  However my big passion has been fingerstyle acoustic, for quite a few years now.  I’ve always got some finger-twisting instrumental piece to learn/get the hang of and I find it very rewarding to do just for myself.
    I’m not troubled by GAS because I’m happy making music.
     I’m not working at the moment, so I have a practice session every day, developing technique and fretboard knowledge on the electric, and practicing pieces on the acoustic.
  • Its the end in itself for me. 

I play in a band and love making music with others. I write stuff and record etc. But if I didn't do any of that I'd still sit at home and practice every day. I love the challenge, I love drifting off into a zen like place when focussing on trying to perfect technique etc.

I also love the gear, the GAS, the history and all that rubbish as well.

Hasn't stopped me taking a break on a couple of occasions but there's such a hole without playing that nothing else can fill.

I also dreamt as a kid that I'd love to make a living playing guitar but I've realised that I'd hate it turning into a 'job'.

It's just a shame I'm rubbish at it :)

Si
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    I'm task oriented, for the most part.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I just enjoy making music.
    Doesn't even matter which instrument I use.
    When I had a big house I had all sorts of music making equipment.
    I love making noise.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    I like to just bash out the tunes I enjoy and have a sing along to, it’s a hobby that I find enjoyable. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2482
    For me playing guitar has always been about gigging. The buzz of it is an addiction. Without that buzz playing can seem a little pointless but I carry on partly in the hope that the music scene might return to 'normal' and partly to avoid having to go through the whole sore fingers thing again in future.

During the past few months I've been mostly playing Travis/Atkins/Reed type stuff to keep all fingers working on both hands and maintain co-ordination. It's not something I'd gig but otherwise I'd just be noodling. I sometimes dig out the 335 and play bluesy/jazzy type stuff to backing tracks but end up sounding disturbingly like Greg Hilden :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Since I can remember I've had music going round my head. Probably some sort of psychosis! It's great to be able to let some of that out. 
    No intention of trying to make money or become a rock God, just a hobby that chills me out for a while. 
    I enjoy mucking about with fx and things too. Bugs me when people say things like stop mucking about and just play! No, you stop mucking about and just play, if that's what you want to do. 
  • KoaKoa Frets: 123
    Sassafras said:
    You play to poultry?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2482
    Koa said:
    Sassafras said:
    You play to poultry?
    Sassafras is a master of chick'n pick'n licks.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    I have a bit of an obsessive personality, and I think that has led to me being more interested in guitar than I would ordinarily be - as in realistically what I enjoy is making music, and therefore the guitar is just a conduit for that. But because I tend to deep dive into things I get distracted and obsessed about the details and trying to get certain sounds or setups when really that's just a distraction to get me through the day and not have to read about other more important stuff.

I'm a pianist first and foremost and will always be loads better on piano than guitar, but most of the modern music I like to hear is electric guitar based therefore it seemed logical to learn that. My actual music ability on guitar, or maybe you could say my music voice, is in the chilled mellow or melancholy finger style stuff but what I enjoy obsessing about playing is loud crash bang stuff like White Stripes and Yeah Yeah Yeahs which is ultimately not satisfying long term because I can't make any music of my own in that style as my singing doesn't suit it.

So I think really I could wean off guitar and move to a different instrument if it related to the music I like to hear, I could see myself deep diving into synthesizers in my middle age maybe for example. Piano is more my core musical conduit though and always will be
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    I just play because it annoys everyone I live with so much, I make sure I stay rubbish just to really grind their gears.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    I’ve played since I was a teenager, back then I was playing to fulfil my destiny as the greatest player that ever lived, now my job involves a lot of reading and picking out details and guitar is a great antidote to that 
  • I play everyday.  i don't mean to, it just happens.
  • i play cos i get my money for nothing and my chicks for free
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Essentially because I enjoy it, but it's also my escape. Plus I enjoy the satisfaction and sense of achievement that comes from being able to play something today that I couldn't play yesterday. I have gigged a bit and I enjoy it but it really isn't that big a deal.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it