Fender locking tuners - upgrade.

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
Been thinking about switching the Tuners out on my American Professional Tele for Fenders locking ones. 

They’re a drop in replacement but I’ve noticed something when checking them out.. 

Stock, the guitar has fenders normal staggered tuners, with the E and A strings peg’s being long and the D,G,B,e strings pegs being short. 

The locking replacements though are 3 long and 3 short which is a shame.. why would they do this lol?! 

I fear the break angle on the D string is going to suffer if it moves from a short peg to a long one, especially locking so there are no wraps to assist it. 

I’ve emailed Fender to see if they would supply a set of all short post locking types, as these are standard on the Ultra models, or at least supply me an additional 1 short post one. Not holding my breath though. 

I did think about just installing them anyway but putting a long post one on the high e or B and using that short post for the D.. as the string tree would negate any break angle issue on those two highest strings. 

Nowt wrong with the regular tuners on it mind, just love locking types. 

Whats yer thoughts?
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3809
    I did this swap on my US Strat about 10 years ago.  Never had any problems.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3492
    Don’t use Fender ones try another brand?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    Why do you need locking tuners on a Tele?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    ICBM said:

For easy string changes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I use the 3 & 3 locking tuners and there is no problem at all.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:

For easy string changes.
    How much easier does it make it? I just changed the strings on my Tele and it took less than 15 minutes and that included taking the old ones off by unwinding rather than cutting, searching for the wire cutters, tuning and tidying away. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3492
    edited October 2020
    I like the vintage poke the string in the shaft type super easy and quick to restring. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14028
    I have Fender/Schaller drop-in locking tuners on two Strats and a Tele.  One Strat and the Tele have 3/3 staggered tuners and no issues.  Why fit them?  Not only faster, easier string changes but more tuning stability.  And I like 'em.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    skunkwerx said:

The locking replacements though are 3 long and 3 short which is a shame.. why would they do this lol?! 

I fear the break angle on the D string is going to suffer if it moves from a short peg to a long one, especially locking so there are no wraps to assist it. 

Whats yer thoughts?
    Put the short posts on the A, D and G strings. B & E have a string guide so it makes no difference what height they are.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    I'd leave it as is I think. Expensive option just for faster string changes. There shouldn't really be a tuning stability issue with a Telecaster if the nut is properly lubricated and you can fine tune the break angles with string through the post tuners anyway. Personally I like vintage string down the middle tuners on a tele.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Hipshot. Easy to fit, no drilling required a d a variety of heights available. 
    drofluf said:
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:

For easy string changes.
    How much easier does it make it? I just changed the strings on my Tele and it took less than 15 minutes and that included taking the old ones off by unwinding rather than cutting, searching for the wire cutters, tuning and tidying away. 
    Based on your post, 15 times easier lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For convenience I have lockers on most of mine, and only leave them stock if the tuners are the vintage Kluson style ones (which are still my favourites). Like you, I prefer lockers for quick string changes rather than anything else.

Fender/Ping locking tuners are fine (Schaller haven't made them for Fender for ages now), but mine are 4+2 staggered. I scoured eBay for ages as occasionally singles come up for sale. They seem to be readily available singly in the US but not here.

Occasionally older Fender/Schaller made one's are available from Fender (plain locking wheel). These are either short or long post (sorry, I don't know the part numbers) and have the same diameter bushing thread as Ping, but the Schaller made variant had a short thread within the tuner collar. The Ping bushing is the correct thread but is too long, so won't seat against the headstock face and will stand proud, so you would need to cut it down. Of course, Fender supply them either without the bushing, or with the wrong Ping bushing - genius! Schallers own branded version with an embossed 'S" on the locking wheel are 3+3 (short and long) and have the same short thread within the collar, and were made until around 2016-ish? The current Schaller branded version is distinguished by a satin 'S' on the locking wheel and now takes the long Ping style bushing (hurrah!). However, these are 3+3 with long and medium posts (no short posts) which seems like madness to me, and many dealers haven't updated their product listings (e.g. Thomann) so their info is wrong. Schaller do sell tuners individually, and when they started making their current version they briefly made a short post version available as a part (not in sets). Sadly they no longer sell the short post variant at all. Thankfully I did manage to get a few when they were available. 
    For convenience I have lockers on most of mine, and only leave them stock if the tuners are the vintage Kluson style ones (which are still my favourites). Like you, I prefer lockers for quick string changes rather than anything else.
    I've never had the vintage tuners but they do look so so nice so I'd probably do without locking tuners if I had a guitar with vintage.
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 341
    Schaller do sell tuners individually, and when they started making their current version they briefly made a short post version available as a part (not in sets). Sadly they no longer sell the short post variant at all. Thankfully I did manage to get a few when they were available. 
    Think these might be the short post Schallers? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353163625252
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    uksaint7 said:
    Schaller do sell tuners individually, and when they started making their current version they briefly made a short post version available as a part (not in sets). Sadly they no longer sell the short post variant at all. Thankfully I did manage to get a few when they were available. 
    Think these might be the short post Schallers? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353163625252
    Ah nice, thats cool then if I can nab a single short post seperately!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    edited October 2020
    @skunkwerx ; that is the Schaller made version with the plain locking wheel. The bushing will  have the correct diameter thread but will likely be too long, so you'll need to shorten the threaded section of the bushing.

Edit: I have a short post Schaller made version spare. It has the satin 'S' on the locking wheel and correct length bushing - £20 delivered if you're at all interested.