Dull/Lifeless....... Pickups?

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
edited October 2020 in Guitar

I played a mates guitar the other day. It’s a great guitar from a reputable custom builder so it’s not the guitar I can guarantee as it resonates wonderfully acoustically so I felt it must be the pickups as to why I thought it sounded a bit dull/lifeless.

Now I’ve posted before on here highlighting my feelings of these boutique type PAF pickup builders charging silly money for their pickups etc but I’m starting to believe there might be something in it. Or it could be that I’m just starting to believe the hype that flies around us all the time.

Do any of you guys swear by these high priced pickups i.e. do you really think they make a difference installing them on your guitar.

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The thing is there are quite a few pickup builders (including on this very forum) that make PAF pickups but don't ask silly money for them... If you're thinking Throbaks, ox4 etc then sure but these are really going for total accuracy re: materials etc.

Bulldog, Oil City (I've tried these two), alegree, creamery will all do a set for 150-180 quid that will sound anything but dull and lifeless. Considering you would spend the same money on a pair of dimarzio or Duncan pickups it's a bit of a no brainer.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    The thing is there are quite a few pickup builders (including on this very forum) that make PAF pickups but don't ask silly money for them... If you're thinking Throbaks, ox4 etc then sure but these are really going for total accuracy re: materials etc.

Bulldog, Oil City (I've tried these two), alegree, creamery will all do a set for 150-180 quid that will sound anything but dull and lifeless. Considering you would spend the same money on a pair of dimarzio or Duncan pickups it's a bit of a no brainer.
    Are you in the same mind as me that making pickups to exact same as originals I.e. materials make absolutely no difference in sound then? ;) 
  • I used to think boutique PAFs were the way to go. 

Years ago, I wasted money on one particularly ‘dead’ guitar. The upgrades, including pups, failed to lift it.

Nowadays,  I think it’s the guitar as a whole that counts...

If it sounds good (harmonics, sustain) acoustically, then that is enough for me.

Maybe I just prefer my pickups hot. Maybe the guitar I played were low winds / lo output etc 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    This is when I find the volume and tone controls on the amp come in handy.
    Sassafras said:
    This is when I find the volume and tone controls on the amp come in handy.
    Well yes of course. When I plugged mine in though with the same amp settings mine sounded better imo. 
  • The thing is there are quite a few pickup builders (including on this very forum) that make PAF pickups but don't ask silly money for them... If you're thinking Throbaks, ox4 etc then sure but these are really going for total accuracy re: materials etc.

Are you in the same mind as me that making pickups to exact same as originals I.e. materials make absolutely no difference in sound then? ;) 
    I genuinely don't want to throw shade on these guys, for the simple reason that I've never owned such faithful replicas. I did try a 335 with ox4s and it did sound fantastic. I just think that provided you have carefully made, scatterwound pickups with the right elements (magnet type, wire type and gauge, number of turns, coil offset, potting or lack thereof, etc) it must surely be diminishing returns after that.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    Different guitars take the amp’s tone and volume in their own way. Worth tweaking the amp and pickup heights before dropping more money on different pickups unless you’ve decided you want something completely different from the guitar than it can currently do
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, the guitar might need a different humbucker type altogether. Different pickups can suit different guitars, even if said guitars sound good to start with. Case in point: I have a set of Tonerider pickups in a strat that play better to that guitar's acoustic tone than the Fender 57/62 pickups that came with it. But said 57/62 are now in another strat that's a bit darker and "bolder" to start with, and they sound great in that.

So yeah, maybe that particular guitar needs a hotter pickup to bring it to life. But if PAF is what it calls for and your mate wants, then "dull and lifeless" is the last thing I would associate with a good set of pickups in that ballpark (boutique or not)...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74490
    It's possible that it's not the pickups at all, but the wiring and electrics - low pot values, excessive length of shielded cable, possibly a partial short to shielding paint etc - all those things can dull the overall tone of a perfectly good pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    ICBM said:
    It's possible that it's not the pickups at all, but the wiring and electrics - low pot values, excessive length of shielded cable, possibly a partial short to shielding paint etc - all those things can dull the overall tone of a perfectly good pickup.
    I had a Les Paul Custom with 300k volume pots, swapping them
    for 500k made a noticeable difference and stopped me wanting to swap the pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    ICBM said:
    That’s the first thing I’d look at.
    Maybe I just prefer my pickups hot. Maybe the guitar I played were low winds / lo output etc 
    It’s usually high wind pickups that sound over compressed and dull. 
    No. For a start older pickups will have lost some of their magnetism. You also have to consider that older pickups were far less consistent than modern versions. Lastly, small pickup manufacturers tend to experiment, and produce variants which avoid the problems of earlier designs. For example dull Telecaster neck pickups.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom