What sort of place does/did your band rehearse in?

What's Hot
AdeyAdey Frets: 2802
I was wondering what sorts of places those of us who play in bands (or did 9 months ago!) use to reheasre in

Do you and your band go along to a swanky rehearsal room or do you you kick the Mrs out for the evening, get your band mates round and set up in living room? Do you "keep the noise down" or deafen the neighbours til 3.00AM?

Do you have a fantastic barn / series of outhouses in your country estate that you have rammed with kit that you just plug into when you and your chums turn up?

Do you do the old "garage" option?

Or something else?

As my band all live scattered around the outer reaches of London and the Home Counties, we tended to use the most convenient rehearsal studio, nearest where I happened to be working at the time as I was organising the sessions!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25563
    Done it all.

Dedicated rehearsal studios with and without provided backline.

Recording studios that used the down time for rehearsals.

Village Halls

Garages.

Proper rehearsal spaces with PA already set up is by far the easiest.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    Abandoned sweet factory
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I used to have my own studio with 2 very live rooms that we used for rehearsal. Nowadays I use a dedicated rehearsal place in Portsmouth called Casemates which has the PA, drums and amps already in the room ... plus it has a bar for a beer after. It makes rehearsing a lot less hassle. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Lately a local village hall.
    We bring out own PA.
  • We've rented an outbuilding on a farm for the last 5 years and equipped it with a cobbled together PA. 

It costs about the same a month in rent as 4 rehearsals at a commercial rehearsal space and we can leave our gear set up in there ready to go
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Rehearsal studios ( though they weren’t swanky!). Tried the back room of a pub/ community centre type route but a bit of a pain in the arse really. 

Here I am in such a studio eating a microphone and showing off that I once met a lady. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    All the above and more, my favourite was in the '80s we rehearsed in bakery near Manor House and all my gear was covered in flour. Looked like I was in Fields Of The Nephilim afterwards...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Generally speaking, absolutely shite places that are cold/too hot, including various garages, what was once a gym that ran off a single plug on a very long trailing socket and was very damp (so safe!  I recall plugging something in and a flash of electricity that fortunately didn't harm me), outhouses, church rooms, etc.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    edited October 2020
    Rehearsal studios ( though they weren’t swanky!). Tried the back room of a pub/ community centre type route but a bit of a pain in the arse really. 

Here I am in such a studio eating a microphone and showing off that I once met a lady. 
    Everyone knows Caroline!

Our bass player's house. PA and cabs left in situ. I'm not sure I could do the Stokey toilets again now we've been spoiled.

Edit:

"A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    We used to use the local Rugby club for a while - usually in the main hall but when they needed that for something else we got put into one of the squash courts that were part of the club.  Sounded good in there.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3809
    Usually rehearsal rooms these days.  We use our own PA (even if there is one in-house), at one set of rooms, which we haven't used since March, we hired a lock-up to store gear.

The best setup I ever had with a band was when the bass player had his own business and there was a free space above where he stored materials.  An old farm building, no heating, but a fantastic sounding room.  We could leave gear set up there which was very handy.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Pirate practice studios, although the one in Bristol is like a rat run with no one physically onsite (all codes etc online). We've not been in the practice room since March :( 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • westwest Frets: 1021
    I played with nwobhm band Dark Star and in true bad news / spinal type style we rehearsd above a Pork Scratching factory in wolverhampton .... lol it made you heave after a few hours ... =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666

Everyone knows Caroline! ;)

Our bass player's house. PA and cabs left in situ. I'm not sure I could do the Stokey toilets ;) again now we've been spoiled.
    I think the entire West Midlands gigging scene relied on her network of babysitters. Last time I saw her she was about to have child number three so I suspect Corona virus may have given her some necessary respite. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    First band I was in rehearsed in an old horse stables in a middle of the singers parents garden (acres and acres of land). Used to spend hours in there undisturbed. Was quite beautiful looking out onto fields miles away. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    A room in the drummer's palatial gaff.  (The unused Au Pair's flat to be precise !)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131

Everyone knows Caroline! ;)

Our bass player's house. PA and cabs left in situ. I'm not sure I could do the Stokey toilets ;) again now we've been spoiled.
    I think the entire West Midlands gigging scene relied on her network of babysitters. Last time I saw her she was about to have child number three so I suspect Corona virus may have given her some necessary respite. 
    If only I was half the musician she is.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2802
    edited October 2020
    Jalapeno said:
    A room in the drummer's palatial gaff.  (The unused Au Pair's flat to be precise !)
    @Jalapeno ;What was unused? The room or the Au Pair?

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    This place. A private pub out in the desert. No noise issues and a full bar :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb1nlpzaml0cc4b/PoHMap.JPG?raw=1
  • There's a good rehearsal studio near me. The guy, who owns it, has made a lot of effort to make it as safe as possible in regard to a certain virus. We've gone back to using it after he'd put all the adjustments in and reopened.