NGD Duesenberg

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
As some may be aware I have a thing for Duesenberg guitars, I have a Star Player TV Gold top and a black Paloma. This time I fancied something a little different so I went for a single cut Gran Majesto with Trem. 

Its an absolute stunner and to my ears has a sound all of its own. The StarPlayer is very rock and roll - like a hot rod tele, The Paloma is like a fat Strat and this, well I don't know? Its not a Gretsch, its not a 335 or the like. It has its own sound and of course with that trem its a dream to play. 

Its a semi hollow guitar but it seems to react more like a hollow body but instead of the feedback being totally uncontrollable it can be manipulated. I did a first plug in video which is a little warts and all but it gives a bit of an indication to what it sounds like. This is plugged into a Fender DRRI, The wonder Phil Robinson Phuzz and a Strymon Flint. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    Wooft that’s a stunner. Had t heard of the model before. Sounds like a cello! Nice Bonamassa/EJ style demo too. Been looking at hollow bodies and this might actually tick the boxes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like a Carl Carlton sig size. Nice. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    Looks like a Carl Carlton sig size. Nice. 
    That might just be because I'm a fat bastard

TINMAN82 said:
    Wooft that’s a stunner. Had t heard of the model before. Sounds like a cello! Nice Bonamassa/EJ style demo too. Been looking at hollow bodies and this might actually tick the boxes.
    This is a semi but it doesn't feel quite like you'd expect a 335 or the like to feel. Also, way way to kind on the JB/EJ reference. I think as close as I get is that I am a human that owns a guitar also.
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    Looks nice. how do these trees keep tune compared to a bigsby?
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    Ethereal.  Like a country western Sigur Ros.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1016
    That sounds huge, nice to see something different
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    Cranky said:
    Ethereal.  Like a country western Sigur Ros.
    That might be my favourite comment ever.

@milk I honestly haven’t played a bigsby that has stayed in tune. I know there are many that love them, I love the sound but not the functionality and certainly not the changing of strings. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    Love it. Nice Raga
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    @shaunm i had a Gretsch with a bigsby and did all the tips and tricks like heavier gauge strings and a different bridge and although it helped a little still would not stay in tune. perhaps its a annoying characteristic.

So is this basically a duesenberg branded bigsby with all the character and traits of one?
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Milk said:

So is this basically a duesenberg branded bigsby with all the character and traits of one?
    The Duesenberg trem does look and work and much like a Bigsby but there is a slight difference. They are all completely stable and stay in tune all the time.

That said, so does the Bigsby on my Jet but I know a lot can be very temperamental.

That is one gorgeous looking Dooooozy you have there, sounds pretty wonderful too.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    All my bigsby problems have been at the nut, and all were sorted by a good tech and a graphtec

Great playing @shaunm and a very cool guitar
  • Milk said:
    Looks nice. how do these trees keep tune compared to a bigsby?
    I know that the bridge on the Starplayers is installed in such a way that it can rock back and forth a little so tuning wise it is great.

Otherwise, domed thumbwheels (allowing for a similar rocking motion) are crucial to getting any Bigsby or Bigsby-a-like to play properly with a Tuneomatic 
  • grayngrayn Frets: 975
    Gorgeous guitar and those pickups are so stylish.
    Big congrats.
    Concerning the trem.
    Bigsbys are like a 70s Corvette.  Cool to look at but a handful to drive and maintain
    The Duesey trem is like a new BMW, slick to look at and very smooth to operate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom