Fender Vintera Road Worn 60s Strat - any experiences?

What's Hot
As per the title - would be really interested to hear anybody's experiences with the new 60s Vintera Road Worns - particularly the Andertons special edition with the Pure Vintage pickups.

I'm pretty tempted, but beyond the issue of the instant depreciation (one reason I usually buy used), I'm slightly wary that Pau Ferro boards often look stripy and/or reddish, and wonder whether the relicing job might look a bit 'obvious' in-the-flesh.  I'm trying to decide between getting one of these and spending a bit more on a used American reissue.  I have an AVRI Jazzmaster and an AO Tele (both bought used), and would like a Strat that's at least in the same ball-bark in terms of general quality and playability.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I know it’s been highlighted here before but I just can’t see why a cosmetic feature should take such a precedence over a great guitar. I have a vintera but not a road worn, with a Pau ferro board and it just plays fine and nothing wrong with it. I can’t fathom why someone wouldn’t buy it just because of the colour etc. I wouldn’t buy another tobacco burst guitar again probably but it won’t detract my appreciation of a guitar. It’s just my preference after owning guitars that were always tobacco sunbursts. I think I’ve over done it lol. 

As I always say try one and judge then not by what others preferences are. You may like it like I did/ I do 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know it’s been highlighted here before but I just can’t see why a cosmetic feature should take such a precedence over a great guitar. I have a vintera but not a road worn, with a Pau ferro board and it just plays fine and nothing wrong with it. I can’t fathom why someone wouldn’t buy it just because of the colour etc. I wouldn’t buy another tobacco burst guitar again probably but it won’t detract my appreciation of a guitar. It’s just my preference after owning guitars that were always tobacco sunbursts. I think I’ve over done it lol. 

As I always say try one and judge then not by what others preferences are. You may like it like I did/ I do 
    I take the point, and I’ve got nothing against Pau Ferro boards per se, but for me personally, in the context of a reissue guitar, the aesthetic consideration really is important.  I don’t particularly care that it’s not rosewood, but without quite a dark board, it’s not going to have the look of a 60s Fender, and that’s specifically what I’m after in this case.

I agree that trying one is the best bet, but unfortunately there are none in stock anywhere near to me at the moment so would
    likely have to order sight-unseen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    I’ve just got a Vintera Road Worn Telecaster and it’s a fantastic guitar, really happy with it. I’ve also got a Vintera Strat and
    Jazzmaster and I am equally happy with those.

I have recently used some fretboard conditioner on the Strat and Jazzmaster and the Pau Ferro looks better, and darker now.  There’s pictures of my Jazzmaster in the thread below:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/191157/jazzmaster-pau-ferro-and-fingerboard-conditioner#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    I played a firemist in guitarguitar Camden when they first came out.
    Nice and lightweight. Sounded like a strat.
    Frets were a touch sharp and could have done with a more rolled fingerboard to get a more vintage feel. I didn’t buy it. For me, they’re a step down from an ao and a big step down from a cs 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom