Fender Cunetto Strat - COA

What's Hot
Just in the process of possibly doing a deal on a white Fender Cunetto Strat. It's currently all being done through phone calls  but I am going to view tommorow.

Did they all come with COAs?, the owner thinks the early ones did not. He has got a certificate dated 2017 where Fender confirmed its a cunetto from the photos.

Will not having an original Coa have a big impact on the price?

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bod1Bod1 Frets: 3
    I had a very early '96 and it did come with a cert. You will take a decent hit without a cert, as a strat they go for a premium so I'd be looking to negotiate hard without. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    I have a Cunetto Strat without a COA...I don’t think a duplicate COA will knock the price at all... Mine will suffer through not having one though...
    edited October 2020
    If it’s the one on eBay with the wear all along the top edge it’s changed hands a couple of times recently. (By my reckoning) I’d  want to try it in person first... just my opinion though. I’d love a matching maple Mary Kaye Cunetto to go with my Rosewood sunburst..
  • Thanks.. Its from a private collection which the owner is selling as he is downsizing. 

It's a trans white light relic version. 

• pumkinpumkin Frets: 150
    I’m lucky enough to have a late 95 Mary Kaye cunetto complete with COA .... these were the very first ones so the early ones  do have a coa . 
    I owed the guitar that @tone1 is talking about a while back and at one point approached a dealer /shop in view of a trade ... they contacted their fender rep for a value (without coa)and basically offered nothing close to the guitars value to me .... these are seriously good guitars ... I’ve  owned three , two Strat s and a tele and they’ve all been exceptional .
    if you can get pics of the internals (neck /body stamps ) you should be able to date the guitar your looking at ....there are probably people on here and out on internet better clued up to help you .

@pumkin ;

Your Cunetto Tele is a thing of beauty  :)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Usual seller bull. I've an 1989 Custom Shop Tele with a COA and ALL Cunetto's had them. I had the first one in the UK and that had its grey certificate. I've had loads of Cunetto's, some people lost their COA's and many came from the US where stores like Guitar Center rarely passed them on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    edited October 2020
    I’ve had a few Cunettos and they all had the COA. A missing COA undoubtedly hits the value significantly, and personally I think a reissued, modern-dated COA hits the value a bit as well. People want the original COA as it’s part of the original package, and a reissued piece of paper can never fully take the place of the original one. 

Anyone who knows their stuff can easily establish if the guitar is genuine, so they don’t need a reissued COA to tell them that. Having a reissued COA is obviously better than having no COA at all, but in my opinion it’s nothing like having the original one. Ultimately the market will decide on value, but I’ve noticed a number of Relics with reissued COAs being sold on here and on eBay that seemed to be more difficult to shift for decent money than those being sold with their original cert. 

And while I’m at it, Cunettos are nice guitars and apparently very collectible. But in my experience of owning a handful of Cunettos and at least 10 later CS Relics, the later guitars can be just as good and are often better. Other people may have a different experience but that’s mine. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks to you all for taking the time out to respond. 

I think the seller was told that they didn't come with the certificate from the person he bought the guitar off rather than trying to mislead anyone. 

I am going to view it today but not sure what an price impact the lack of originall COA will have now after reading the comments. 

I know its hard to say but what would a realistic price for one of these , I've seen them advertised for between 3-4k but not too sure if they sell for that amount. 

It's seems to be the most common finish see thru blonde,  relic with a highly flamed maple neck. 

Thanks again 

• relic245relic245 Frets: 1109
    I bought what I believe was the first cunetto strat in the country in late 1994. You might guess from my username that the serial number was R000245.

It most certainly came with a COA.
  • Thanks to you all..  Deal done and well pleased - its an amazing guitar, very light and resonant .  Comes with a replacement certificate from Fender and still has the bridge cover. 

https://ibb.co/NNn9qQ1

Thanks again 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    edited October 2020
    relic245 said:
    I bought what I believe was the first cunetto strat in the country in late 1994. You might guess from my username that the serial number was R000245.

It most certainly came with a COA.
    They weren't out in 1994.....the first two were displayed NAMM 1995. I had the actual one reviewed in Guitarist mag....it was a Sept 1995. Serial numbers were not sequential but did start off low in 1995. 
    Now that everyone is asking collector level prices for them it is as a collector important to have the COA. So yes, I would expect one without to be a bit cheaper.
    Looks like its good one, I see so many of these that have been reliced by subsequent owners.