Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #64

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #64

Voting will end at midnight 31st October 2020.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm64-2020-10

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    5pts @Bellycaster capturing the Vai vibe from Whitesnake era nicely :-)
    3pts @stratman3142 really nice tone on their giving it a cool dimension
    1pt @digitalkettle enjoyed the extra rhythm melodies in the background giving it a kind of U2 type feel

Also enjoyed @ChrisRG too but not enough points to go round!

cheers all

• 5 points for @Bellycaster: kept me interested throughout...zingy, loosely-doubled tone was tasty...well thought out and well executed...nice ending although, tonally, it seemed to go a bit nuts for the final two bars (was that just a flick to bridge pickup?)
    3 points for @stratman3142: nice tonez as usual...slightly quiet...careful selections...felt it started quite tentatively but ended with a blinding second half
    1 point for @ChrisRG: some great ideas in here...well paced...lots of space...I would like to hear some of the faster sections less rushed
  • 5 points @Bellycaster: Good tone. Is that literally double tracked or a delay effect? Great lick at 36s that lands nicely. Good ending.

3 points @digitalkettle: Interesting spacy start. Very nifty articulated run at 36s. It sounds like every note is picked.  Coincidentally the lick is at about the same place as Bellycaster's. 

1 point @ChrisRG: Some great ideas. Slightly lacking the flow of the other to which just edged it out, but it was all very close.

It's not a competition.
  • 5 Points @digitalkettle - Very melodic with some bluesy flair and I enjoyed the muted picking added behind the solo. This one just seemed to flow effortlessly and had the best vibe to my ears.

3 Points @stratman3142 - Enjoyed this with the sustained notes and articulate bends. 36 seconds is the magic number on this SOTM. I too liked the second part of the solo better and it seemed to take off more at that point.

1 Point @ChrisRG - Last but certainly not least. Great tone as usual and a good mixture of different ideas and approaches. The first 10 seconds, especially, had me smiling because it sounded quite Marillion-esque.

Back in a bit to answer the above questions.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • @stratman3142 ;

@digitalkettle ;

Yep, the solo (solos) is literally double tracked. Totally separate recordings then panned hard left and right. I tried to a certain degree to get the exact phrasing and notes and timing, but realistically knowing that it's not totally possible. It's better it's not really as the small differences are what makes it what it is.

The whole solo is done using the Bridge Pick Up. BUT, I had my Wolfgang modded when I first got it. I had a Coil Split done on it, controlled by using the Tone Knob. For that end part I flicked the tone pot back to full Humbucker mode for the Harmonic and the rest of the ending.

:)
  • Ah...I thought most of it was single coil! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah...I thought most of it was single coil! ;)
    I can see I'm not gonna get much past you @digitalkettle ;)

A lot of Guitarists might consider it a Hanging Offence to Coil Split a Wolfgang, but there really are some great tones available on that Guitar. I swear you can get a near Tele rhythm sound as well as a Stratty lead sound.

• A lot of Guitarists might consider it a Hanging Offence to Coil Split a Wolfgang...
    In this of all months! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight.
    It's not a competition.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    5 points @Bellycaster - Another really good solo.  Really liked the 2 guitar effect and I'm impressed at how accurately you matched them.  Great ideas, great melody and a great match to the backing.

3 points 
    @digitalkettle - Really close for 2nd and 3rd.  Nice and smooth with great melody.  Loved the run in the middle to contrast the more melodic parts.

1 point @stratman3142 ;- Loved the tone.  Really well paced solo with some nice flowing melody

• Voting closed
    It's not a competition.
  • There might be a delay on announcing the winners. I'll try to get it sorted by tomorrow.

It's not a competition.