Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: 2020 PRS McCarty 594 McCarty Tobacco Sunburst

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    A friend of mine just got one of these in an unusual burst finish, I think it's called Charcoal Cherry Burst. Really nice when you get used to the non-traditional combination of colours. It's certainly not light either, but balances very well so you don't really feel it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I believe the 594 is slightly deeper/larger than the wide/fat pattern profile that has been a bench mark of many PRS Guitars - Not chunky to the extent of fat, but an extra oz of meat on it nonetheless - Comfortable and easy to handle IMO and I don't have large hands - I recently sold a used SC594 and IMO a very nice guitar  
    I'm better qualified to judge the 594 carve v the DGT than the wide/fat or pattern, but I'd say it's noticeably chunkier than the DGT which I think is itself a little chunkier than the pattern.  That was my main reservation about the 594 to be honest as I've tended in the past to at least *think* I prefer medium or even slightly slimmer necks.  Turns out I'm actually fine with the chunkier neck.  But in the end whether the extra chunkiness v the pattern detracts from the guitar is going to be very personal.

Thanks gents.  I've owned quite a few PRS guitars with the Wide/Fat or Pattern profile and I've always wished it was a little chunkier - especially when I've been playing my Ancho Poblano Strat which makes the PRS neck feel like a Twiglet...

The 594/Pattern Vintage neck being just that little bit bigger sounds perfect to me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a really beautiful guitar. Definitely my kind of thing. I do think it's look better with the pickup switch down near the controls, but I guess Paul knows best. 

Congrats. Lovely lovely guitar. 

• That's a really beautiful guitar. Definitely my kind of thing. I do think it's look better with the pickup switch down near the controls, but I guess Paul knows best. 

I really, really disliked the switch location when these first came out a few years ago, I posted on here my contempt for it as well! Time has softened my view and certainly when playing it feels right.

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    Lovely looking guitar.  I had one very similar and tempted to get another sometime.

The single coil tones were surprisingly good on it also.

I really, really disliked the switch location when these first came out a few years ago, I posted on here my contempt for it as well! Time has softened my view and certainly when playing it feels right.
    I feel the switch looks better when there's more wood there. So in a single cut it works fine. But that upper horn is very narrow. But I'm really nitpicking because it's a really beautiful guitar and very much my kind of thing. 

I own two PRS but they are of the modest SE variety. But still beautiful guitars. 

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5035
    I'm so pleased that there haven't been any dentist comments because, frankly, I'm fed up to the back teeth of them....

Very lovely guitar though. I've recently acquired on courtesy of @danishbacon and I'm really impressed with it. It might even be a keeper. A 'keeper' is something that lasts a month, but still. I admit that I didn't take to it at first, with all the 'sterile" comments floating around my fat head, but I got playing it and I really rate it. Nice soulful and jazzy sounds in that thing. 

Nearly got a DGT, but felt the frets on one today and they're too big for me. The Mccarty is perfect on that score. 

Congrats 
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've not mentioned the PRS take on the tuneomatic and stoptail, they really are a quite a meticulously machined work of art when you look close up. The saddles are smooth and not sharp on your palm. The bridge posts are direct into the wood and not into bushings as far as I can see, like an ABR-1 and the tailpiece is screwed all the way down. 

The neck angle feels and looks shallower than a factory Gibson, more like a Gibson Custom Shop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Yep, the S2 version of the bridge is just as clean too, and apparently uses the same materials. I'm going to try and get my hands on the S2 DC, and Thinline models alongside another Core one before I make my mind up. For the price that some used Core ones are going for it seems foolish not to choose one over an S2, but I actually prefer the simpler top carve on the S2s!

It would be nice to see PRS offer a Stripped 594 at some point perhaps, dropping the neck binding, headstock overlay, bird inlays, and fancy tops... hell, even better - make it as a Standard Satin 594!

Whichever model you choose though the 594 really does seem to be something special, I've played four different ones now (2xDCs, 1xSC, 1x S2 SC) and loved them all. PRS have really nailed this model/line and found a great combination of specs, materials, hardware and pickups. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    That’s fantastic looking - it reminds me a bit of the original private stock in those colours.
    I’ve got a wood library 594 which isn’t at all traditional looking, but it’s the best lp style guitar I’ve ever played. I spend most of my life on my telescope, but when I pick it up, I always wonder why I don’t use it more.
    I briefly had a soapbar and they’re brilliant too, but the p90s are very hot and it’s not as versatile as the standard 594.
  • Forum rules we need the FS price....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Yep, the S2 version of the bridge is just as clean too, and apparently uses the same materials. I'm going to try and get my hands on the S2 DC, and Thinline models alongside another Core one before I make my mind up. For the price that some used Core ones are going for it seems foolish not to choose one over an S2, but I actually prefer the simpler top carve on the S2s!

It would be nice to see PRS offer a Stripped 594 at some point perhaps, dropping the neck binding, headstock overlay, bird inlays, and fancy tops... hell, even better - make it as a Standard Satin 594!

Whichever model you choose though the 594 really does seem to be something special, I've played four different ones now (2xDCs, 1xSC, 1x S2 SC) and loved them all. PRS have really nailed this model/line and found a great combination of specs, materials, hardware and pickups. :)
    I like your thinking.  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited November 2020
    RandallFlagg said:

The fretboard is a really lovely dark rosewood with lots of fine pore marks.

What's interesting about that is that the one my friend just bought, which I think is this exact guitar - https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/prs-mccarty-594-charcoal-cherryburst - appears to have an ebony board. He asked me what I thought it was, without prompting (I didn't know the spec) and I said ebony. It's perfectly black and very smooth, although you can see some pores if you hold it up to the light in the right way, they're very much less obvious than yours. The headstock veneer is also far blacker and 'flatter'-looking than your one.

So I wonder if yours is also actually a more open-pored ebony rather than dark rosewood...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    edited November 2020
    As this is turning into a fanboi thread - here's my McCarty 594 in Autumn Burst

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks stunning HNGD and agreed on it possibly being ebony fb?
    I've noticed the very dark fretboards too.  Just checked the PRS website and they still say rosewood.  But they often seem to do small limited runs which differ from standard spec, and the model history info on the site's not very detailed.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    edited November 2020
    ICBM said:
    RandallFlagg said:

The fretboard is a really lovely dark rosewood with lots of fine pore marks.

What's interesting about that is that the one my friend just bought, which I think is this exact guitar - https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/prs-mccarty-594-charcoal-cherryburst - appears to have an ebony board. He asked me what I thought it was, without prompting (I didn't know the spec) and I said ebony. It's perfectly black and very smooth, although you can see some pores if you hold it up to the light in the right way, they're very much less obvious than yours. The headstock veneer is also far blacker and 'flatter'-looking than your one.

So I wonder if yours is also actually a more open-pored ebony rather than dark rosewood...
    I believe it's rosewood, I have an ebony board on my Martin and close up the PRS looks like all other rosewood fingerboards I've had, the pores and grain are coarser than ebony.

PRS did a run of 594s in 2018/19 with Katalox fingerboards:

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/prs-mccarty-594-burnt-maple-leaf-katalox-fingerboard-58-15.htm

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 1018
    Just checked the spec sheet on my ex....Figured ebony with curly maple binding
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    edited November 2020
    That’s lovely. I keep thinking about one of these but I already own three mahogany set neck guitars with two humbuckers, so it seems rather overkill at this point. 

Also I’ve got a kitchen to build next year. :anguished: 
    Grampa said:
    Just checked the spec sheet on my ex....Figured ebony with curly maple binding
    I like the ones with maple binding - it matches better with the faux "binding" on the body.  But they're even bigger money!  :)