Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Peoples PAF Journey - Experiences

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    You'll get closer to what most people think of as an authentic PAF tone by playing any low output humbucker guitar into a powerful non-MV amp wound up to huge volume than you will by chasing the tiniest pickup production details then bunging it through a smooth modern amp or modeller. 

I think a lot of guitarists might be very surprised at the sonic detail and dynamics available from pretty much all guitars when played through a great quality loud amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 460
    No one’s mentioned Gil Yaron. I’ve one of his bursts. Lovely. You can sometimes get his PAFs second hand. They are great pickups but not cheap - £500? I’ve not a/b ‘d them against one half or double the price in the same guitar. I had a Dave Johnson replica LP with voodoo pickups and compared the two.  The Yaron lp was twice the price and about 5% to 10% more special. Is that worth it? 

Like all the comments above, it’s a rabbit hole. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    MikeC said:
    No one’s mentioned Gil Yaron. I’ve one of his bursts. Lovely. You can sometimes get his PAFs second hand. They are great pickups but not cheap - £500? I’ve not a/b ‘d them against one half or double the price in the same guitar. I had a Dave Johnson replica LP with voodoo pickups and compared the two.  The Yaron lp was twice the price and about 5% to 10% more special. Is that worth it? 

Like all the comments above, it’s a rabbit hole. 
    I mentioned yaron in my above post and my customer compared mojo beast buckers to them and raves about mojo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1462
    edited November 2020
    I’ve tried and spent far more than I should have done. Right now I’m sticking with the stock Gibson p/us (unpotted Custom Buckers, 68 Alnico 2s and MHS). The worst for me was easily OX4s as I didn’t find them very articulate and I felt they lacked harmonic overtones. The best were Wizz and Stephen’s Design. I don’t really feel there’s anything out there significantly better than the stock pickups in my Gibsons though tbh, and that’s after lots of comparisons. Stephen’s Design were good but remarkably similar to Wizz (which are a LOT cheaper!).
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    I really reckon that the guitar the pickups are in make a huge difference. I have a BK Mule that works great in my Strat but not in in my PRS which has been a pain to get a bridge pickup I'm happy with. The Burstbucker 2 in my SG bridge is awesome. I quite like the stock BB pros in my Goldtop and I've a old Duncan '59 that reads between 6.9 and 7k depending on the day sounds amazing in anything. My PRS is currently sporting a 61 Burstbucker converted to short leg in the neck (which splits really well) and following a comment from @ICBM a Duncan Custom Custom converted to Custom 5 in the bridge, which I've never liked in any of the other guitars it's been in.
    And just for a bit of balance on what could appear to be a bit of a love in with Burstbuckers, the BB3 I have is awful with a capital f***ing. 
    I've also got a pair of Oil City Forces Sweethearts which are really good too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited November 2020 tFB Trader
    This is what my customer in the state's sent me recently and the reason i don't chase pafs, it's lots of bs imo, Marc at mojo doesn't do it, there's loads of it out there 

Hi Darren,

Just wanted to say- you were so right about the Mojo PAF’s- just got my set and (I don’t say this lightly) they are tied with the Gil Yaron PAF’s for the title of the best I’ve ever played (and I’ve dropped a LOT of money into boutique PAF pickups over time!).   No other set (other than the Yaron’s) capture the subtle-yet-complex snarly overtones that original PAFs had.   Thanks for putting Marc on my radar...now I gotta buy more of his sets!

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)

• I’ve got Mojo’s in my Midtown.  They are nice, but probably not a massive upgrade over the burstbuckers which were in before.  Very nice pickups though, It’s just the BB’s are already pretty nice.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1462
    normula1 said:
    I really reckon that the guitar the pickups are in make a huge difference. I have a BK Mule that works great in my Strat but not in in my PRS which has been a pain to get a bridge pickup I'm happy with. The Burstbucker 2 in my SG bridge is awesome. I quite like the stock BB pros in my Goldtop and I've a old Duncan '59 that reads between 6.9 and 7k depending on the day sounds amazing in anything. My PRS is currently sporting a 61 Burstbucker converted to short leg in the neck (which splits really well) and following a comment from @ICBM a Duncan Custom Custom converted to Custom 5 in the bridge, which I've never liked in any of the other guitars it's been in.
    And just for a bit of balance on what could appear to be a bit of a love in with Burstbuckers, the BB3 I have is awful with a capital f***ing. 
    I agree. There’s no denying that different pickups do sound different. Like you though I’ve found the guitar itself makes a much bigger difference. A great pickup can’t make a bad sounding guitar sound good.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited November 2020
    Just had a bit of an epiphany with an A3 magnet in a neck PAF by Hayden from Bulldog. That's awesome! A very clear, natural sound, no harshness or boominess. Sounds kinda like an A2 with the smoothness, but with less of that midrange push. Absolutely awesome for cleans.

Mind you, it's in a 24-fret PRS so that imparts its own clarity/treble to it. And it's wound a touch stronger than your typical neck PAF (about 7.7k). I'm now very, very curious as to what that would sound like in an LP or 335.

So the journey continues
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Cirrus said:
    Vintage said:

Stephens Design: ok, this are in another league. Dave is a mad guy.....he have an obsession for the PAF, he build every parts on his specs for recreate the PAF magic. For me the best PAF replica. Very rare on the market due the waiting list for buying directly from Dave....over 24 months...
    If you can and you have a guitar that is your favorite, put his PAF on it.....magic.
    There's a guy selling a pair on the classifieds - you should pick them up!
    Would they be the ones that sold in a week??
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Cirrus said:
    Vintage said:

Stephens Design: ok, this are in another league. Dave is a mad guy.....he have an obsession for the PAF, he build every parts on his specs for recreate the PAF magic. For me the best PAF replica. Very rare on the market due the waiting list for buying directly from Dave....over 24 months...
    If you can and you have a guitar that is your favorite, put his PAF on it.....magic.
    There's a guy selling a pair on the classifieds - you should pick them up!
    Would they be the ones that sold in a week??
    Yes, must have taken my advice!  =)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    normula1 said:
    Interesting that you have the same problem with your PRS as I do with my SG bridge pickup and we've both ended up with the Custom 5 (for now)! Mine also started life as a Custom Custom haha. I assume the PRS is quite a middy guitar? My SG seems to be all mids so the scooped C5 seems to work great. I didn't like it at first because I was used to so many mids but it's quite balanced in this guitar :) 
  • Man there is some magnificent bollocks on this thread. Superb!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the “PAF” sound, that hollowness of the neck pickup that can sound like a fat warm single coil clean and does't get too muddy with a bit of gain to the slightly underpowered, mid range twang of the bridge that can be a little spiky in the top end fully open with overdrive.

I haven't tried many but of the ones I have tried all sound there or thereabouts including the PRS 58/15 LTs I have in my 594. The Seymour Duncan Seth Lover in my Tele is another great example.

The new Joe Bonamassa signature Epiphone Custom has some Epiphone “PAFs” and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and the original Gibsons in this demo from Joe and they do sound like what I expect a PAF to sound like:

https://youtu.be/T7YQztvE4TE

https://youtu.be/t_NA4uN5-Vg

• Man there is some magnificent bollocks on this thread. Superb!
    Everybody wins!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
    Wolfetone Legends.
  • 57 classics for me, preferably in a 335.

But the thread title makes me want someone to make The People's PAF.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    I don't even know what PAF stands for
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4127
    Cranky said:
    Probably Another Four hundred quid
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Cranky said:
    People Are Fools

Genuinely, I've been chuckling my head off here. I love boutique pickups - a lot of my fave guitars have been modded by me to change their output. But... seriously??? Dropping hundreds of quid on a pickup because its "more authentic" sounding than another "authentic" sounding pickup to chase a tone that probably only exists in your head or exists thanks to studio compression/the effect of a good mixing desk EQ/excellent mic placement in a superb room/someone else's fingers... lunacy.

That clip above with Joe B sums it up perfectly - its a good sounding Les Paul that sounds uncannily close to his vintage guitar *IN HIS HANDS*. I bet they are machine wound G&B-made pickups based on the Epiphone Classic 57 (based on the Gibson one that so few folks seem to like) and cost to make less than $10 the pair. Then look at your daft-priced "hand wound" pickups... do they really sound *that* much different? Hundreds of pounds different? 

Fools are parted with their money easily.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom