Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Simon Neil on TPS

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
This is awesome.....

Dan, Mick and Simon. Thank you. The perfect distraction from the general shitness of 2020.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Possibly my favourite TPS episode ever. Simon was witty, engaging, intense and a great player (not the biggest Biffy fan but will definitely listen more). Watch it people!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    Yep what a lovely chap. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Probably the best episode I've watched.  The hour just flew by.

He seems like such a likeable/funny dude

Great band, even if they have dramatically evolved. 
  • Yeah, great ep. I love Simon Neil - he just seems like a really down to earth bloke, and just the right level of weirdness in his playing to make him super-distinctive but still nice to listen to
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Oh I gotta watch this! Thanks for the heads up.
  • Thanks for posting that, I don’t know much about the band and always had them pegged as a hairier The 1975 but this vid inspired me to download their new album and so far me likey !
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1474
    Paraphrasing- ‘It took 3 people to put my rig together so I thought it was worth having another think’...... top man!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Thanks for posting that, I don’t know much about the band and always had them pegged as a hairier The 1975 but this vid inspired me to download their new album and so far me likey !
    Check out Puzzle. It's my favourite Biffy album!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Thanks for posting that, I don’t know much about the band and always had them pegged as a hairier The 1975 but this vid inspired me to download their new album and so far me likey !
    Check out Puzzle. It's my favourite Biffy album!
    You have to listen to it as album in one sitting. It is breathtakingly good. 

If you want context, Google what the album is about first, it hits a bit harder if you know 
  • Thanks fellas and interesting that you say listen in one sitting as I found listening to the new album there was a really nice flow to the tracks - reminded me a bit of Rush where you have lots of light and dark ebbing along
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    harier 1975 hahahaha

Biffy have got a really diverse catalogue now, the older stuff is heavier with some weird time signatures (not prog though), through some pop bangers, some proper rock tunes,  upto the movie sound track. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Yeah. This was a good episode. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    sgosden said:
    harier 1975 hahahaha

Biffy have got a really diverse catalogue now, the older stuff is heavier with some weird time signatures (not prog though), through some pop bangers, some proper rock tunes,  upto the movie sound track. 
    It's funny how we can form opinions of bands that are completely well... wrong. We've all done it!
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 277
    Simon is the nicest, sweetest, most modest guy in the world (my daughter has met him in person and confirmed that he is exactly the same in "private" as he appears to be in "public" - a really lovely guy). 

He also happens to be the best songwriter in the world also.
  • steveh said:
    Simon is the nicest, sweetest, most modest guy in the world (my daughter has met him in person and confirmed that he is exactly the same in "private" as he appears to be in "public" - a really lovely guy). 

He also happens to be the best songwriter in the world also.
    Welcome to the Forum Simon !
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited November 2020
    That was great!  Long time Biffy fan, really enjoyed that

If you haven't already, have a listen to the 2020 Barrowlands gig, playing, singing and sound are stupendous
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    I've seen Biffy several times over the years, going back to the early days and they've always been nothing short of incredible.
    I've a total man crush on Simon!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    edited November 2020
    DiscoStu said:
    I've seen Biffy several times over the years, going back to the early days and they've always been nothing short of incredible.
    I've a total man crush on Simon!
    Me too. Loved the old days, when people shout 'mon the Biff' and '57' between every song until they played it. Just wish the production / mastering on The Vertigo of Bliss was better - it's always sounded bloody awful! They should still play 'Questions and answers'. Great song.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    Biffy is one of those bands with surface commercial appeal and smattering of big arena tracks, but when you delve deeper into the catalogue there is some seriously weird, progressive and heavy stuff in there. Great band.

Unfortunately I think they've been badly served when it comes to some of their album production, which doesn't come anywhere close capturing the aggression and energy that you get seeing them live. The latest album isn't so bad in this respect,  but Only Revolutions and Puzzle sound like the whole band is wrapped in cotton wool.
  • @Epsilon agreed on the production thing. Only Revolutions is particularly "shiny" sounding to the point it point me off them when it came out. It has some really really great songs but it would be so much a better listen with a bit more edge to it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires