NGD - Firebird Setup tips

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
I've just picked up a Firebird and I've read these can be a bit finicky to setup, so wondered if I might delve into FB knowledge on the subject?

Currently setup with no measurable relief (less that 0.002") and a relatively sensible action of 1.6mm at the 12th fret (apologies for mixing imperial and metric - I'm a child of the 70s!)

It plays surprisingly well like that (not huge buzzing etc) but the string feel rather slammed to the fretboard and if it were an LP, I'd be putting 0.008-0.010" into it and setting the action about where it is

But before I get out the tools, I know Firebirds can be 'rattly' so I wondered if the straight neck was possibly a trick to try and increase the neck angle to mitigate that, as this one's not too prone to it as it is (it has a 50s neck, which I'm sure will help too)

Oh and it seems like it's on 9.5-46 strings and I'm tempted to go to 11s on this given the general rattle issues with 'Birds

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I really can't offer any advice regarding setting it up, but I recently got a Non-Reverse Firebird and it also has a dead-straight neck with a pretty low action. It's not particularly rattlesome though, but when I got it I thought it had 9's on it and changed them for a new set of 10s, and they also feel like 9s!

I've also got an Epi (reverse) Firebird which is similarly straight and low. So I reckon they just like it like that :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Firebird necks can be a bit "mobile", hence their rattle reputation.
    The do sound fabulous though.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    I can’t recall having any issues with mine and I gigged it in my grunge band late 90’s with no issues. We tuned down a full tone and I string it with flat wounds, was ace. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Changing to 010-048 should add enough extra string tension to introduce a gnat’s more neck relief without needing to adjust anything.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    edited November 2020
    Main thing before trying to assess the action is to fit new strings first, whatever. 

I would fit your preferred gauge and make of strings, check that the relief, action and intonation are still within normal limits and try it.  If the frets are well levelled, there's nothing wrong with very small relief, as long as neither the 1st or 6th strings are hard against the middle fret.

With new strings, and your own familiar type of strings, you will be able to assess much better the way it's playing.
  • let's see it then  ;)