Tokai Ls 196 & 200

What's Hot
Hi! Someone have tried this guitar? Any review and opinions?

Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    edited November 2020
    A friend was looking for a good Les Paul and we tried a LS196 together with a Maybach and an Eastman. The LS-196 is actually very similar to the Maybach in terms of specs and sound. The Eastman (SB59) was our favourite. It has more of that lovely old ‘hollow’ Les Paul sound. Initially I’d have thought that the slightly altered body wouldn’t be up to my taste, but it didn’t bother me a bit, it’s quite nice actually.

For the money, the Eastman would be my choice. Or an early ‘80s Tokai LS80 or early ‘90s Orville by Gibson reissue...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emiel said:
    A friend was looking for a good Les Paul and we tried a LS196 together with a Maybach and an Eastman. The LS-196 is actually very similar to the Maybach in terms of specs and sound. The Eastman (SB59) was our favourite. It has more of that lovely old ‘hollow’ Les Paul sound. Initially I’d have thought that the slightly altered body wouldn’t be up to my taste, but it didn’t bother me a bit, it’s quite nice actually.

For the money, the Eastman would be my choice. Or an early ‘80s Tokai LS80 or early ‘90s Orville by Gibson reissue...
    I had the same experience and I tried everything including the range of offerings from Gibson. Bottom line was I couldn’t afford a 5/6k custom shop guitar, the Eastman SB59 was the next best thing and was well within budget. I know they are not for everyone, but I’ve grown to love the look of mine. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom