NGD: Fender USA Ultra Jazzmaster

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
edited November 2020 in Guitar
I'm fully converted to Jazzmasters. Love them. Bought a Custom Shop one a couple of years ago from Peach (in my profile pic). Absolutely love it.

Had a hankering for another. Had a brief dalliance with a Sherwood Green American Original but I'd been dreaming of an Ultra in mocha burst. Saw one used and jumped on it.

So, how is it? Well, mixed really. Looks stunning, I have to say. It's a wonderful finish with a lovely subtle sparkle. It also plays gorgeously - the compound neck is a fabulous easy profile to play. I possibly prefer it to my Custom Shop neck.

But.....soundwise, it's not really doing it for me. It just doesn't cut through like my CS one does. A/B'ing the two, the CS pick-ups cut through much more brightly. 

I was also hoping the switching options (series/parallel, in/out of phase) would give some more radical tonal changes. They're good and do provide some tonal variation but they're fairly subtle in all honesty. More subtle than I anticipated anyway.

So, I really don't know what to do. Keep it and change the pickups? Seems like a rabbithole and reading up on it, that might involve further electric tweaks too. Costly and unattractive. 

I'm also wondering whether I'd be keener on the sound if I wasn't putting up against the Custom Shop version.

But my, it's pretty. Did I mention that? 

https://imgur.com/a/l26e8ns
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Beauty, change the pickups, maybe even make a jazzblaster of it so they both cover different  ground. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Swap out the pickups, it's not really a big deal. Maybe go for some overwound pickups or even, as the poster above said, wide ranges. 
  • Looks great, change the pickups and then go from there. I think you’ll regret not giving it a fair shot otherwise.
  • DPCDPC Frets: 57
    I own one and your conclusion is the same one I drew. Plays wonderfully, great build, but the pickups are mediocre. The noiseless are just too friendly; I actually want some single coil hum and bite.

So, I changed the pickups to a set of House of Tone Jazzhouses and now it sounds more authentic. Best move I made, and I'm sure it will be for you too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    edited November 2020
    Problem is I'm hopeless at describing what I'd want - so I'd have no idea what replacements to go for.

I rarely use the bridge pick-up. If I did switch them out, would a P90 there be an option (with a JM pick-up at the neck)?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    How does it feel to play? Compared to a CS JM and compared to a Les Paul? I’m thinking about an Ultra JM but as I said in the other JM thread I don’t know if it’s just a (fantastic) modern guitar posing as a JM. 
  • It’s reeeeaaaalllly easy to solve. Buy some Mojo pickups with the overwound bridge. They’re untouchable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    LPManic said:
    How does it feel to play? Compared to a CS JM and compared to a Les Paul? I’m thinking about an Ultra JM but as I said in the other JM thread I don’t know if it’s just a (fantastic) modern guitar posing as a JM. 
    It plays beautifully. Lovely neck. Feels very well put together. 

Nothing like a Les Paul. No surprise there...

What I would say is that if you're a traditionalist, you won't like this at all. Jack socket on the base, tone control for the bridge, serial/parallel option, no rhythm circuit, in/out of phase options - a '59 Jazzmaster it is most definitely not.
    edited November 2020
    It’s reeeeaaaalllly easy to solve. Buy some Mojo pickups with the overwound bridge. They’re untouchable. 
    Which ones? Mojo list 12 different JM pick-ups?

Plus if you can describe what I want them to sound like, you're a better man than me!
    DPC said:
    I own one and your conclusion is the same one I drew. Plays wonderfully, great build, but the pickups are mediocre. The noiseless are just too friendly; I actually want some single coil hum and bite.

So, I changed the pickups to a set of House of Tone Jazzhouses and now it sounds more authentic. Best move I made, and I'm sure it will be for you too
    @dpc Don't suppose you have any before/after recordings?
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I was gonna say trying the series and parallel switches in different amps might get different excentuations but you've got a couple of options! 

Looks like a beaut, I couldn't recommend Jaime's pickups at the creamery more highly. He does a dark side p90 style pup which could be really cool. do you know what the resistances on the custom are? You could get something tailored to compliment against the custom. 
    So Mojo, The Creamery and House of Tone so far. 

#rabbithole
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Martin Stephenson fan eh? Me too!
  • Hattigol said:
    So Mojo, The Creamery and House of Tone so far. 

#rabbithole
    Or put a humbucker in there if you want to keep it noiseless.

There are loads of great options - wide range, PAF, Firebird, Thunderbird, gold foil.

• Martin Stephenson fan eh? Me too!
    One of the most charming troubadours I ever saw live.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    There was a lot of curiosity when those noisless pickups were first seen, but seemed to quickly die down once people started to report back on them. I think your experience sounds the same as others I have read. The word lifeless was being used quite a bit.

Another vote for mojo's here, the overwound bridge set. If you want a flawless representation of the Jazzmaster sound, they are up there and maybe the best.
  • Detailed review of the Ultra here https://youtu.be/h3nlvINWcKA
    Detailed review of the Ultra here https://youtu.be/h3nlvINWcKA
    Pick-ups sound wonderful in that!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I think in the end, whether you go to Lollar, Fralin, Novak, Mojo, they're all going to sound great. But I would say you should get some 'real' JM pickups for it. 
  • DPCDPC Frets: 57
    Hattigol said:
    It’s reeeeaaaalllly easy to solve. Buy some Mojo pickups with the overwound bridge. They’re untouchable. 
    Which ones? Mojo list 12 different JM pick-ups?

Plus if you can describe what I want them to sound like, you're a better man than me!
    DPC said:

@dpc Don't suppose you have any before/after recordings?
    I don't sadly. But you can't lose with all the suggestions made on here so far. The noiseless have to go!