P90 underwind hot pups

What's Hot
erky32erky32 Frets: 49
p90s can be too hot, too many turns, high resistance, harsh aggresive or muddy sound, - the solution is to buy new ones, replace with underwound 8kohm resistance to give a more easy sound. To save a few £s, what stops us from stripping a few windings off, like 25-30% - would the sound be more balanced? .....would it work? ....would it lose more than the bad aspects?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    It is possible to unwind the coil but, with makers counting turns in the thousands, you would be taking off copper wire for a fairly long time to achieve your desired result. 

Then, there is a fiddly soldering task, linking the coil finish to the output cable.

Much easier to sell the offending pickup *as is* and purchase another pickup with the specifications you desire.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    It is possible to unwind the coil but, with makers counting turns in the thousands, you would be taking off copper wire for a fairly long time to achieve your desired result. 

Then, there is a fiddly soldering task, linking the coil finish to the output cable.

Mmm - yes, thanks for your thoughts, I thought if I made some kind of a manual wind-off jig, I could do that (altho counting could be a problem) and measure the resistance periodically.
    I wonder if it is possible to solder the coil wire with an ordinary say 15w, iron ? - I know it's very fine copper.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    erky32 said:
    I thought, if I made some kind of a manual wind-off jig, I could do that (altho counting could be a problem) and measure the resistance periodically.
    In my opinion, coil unwinding is a task that is simple enough to do provided that you are already highly practiced at it. 

I liken it to auto-Orthodontics. It might be possible to self-extract a tooth that is already loose. It would unwise to do one’s own fillings.*

* Except as a Vivian Stanshall Rawlinson End joke.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.