What wood is this made of please?

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
I bought this Partscaster on eBay for £200.

The previous owner had blocked the tremolo.  When I received it, it was obvious that it wouldn’t stay in tune because one of the screw holes was drilled out of whack. 

Fitted a spare Gotoh 510 that I had lying around - on five screws it stays perfectly in tune :-)

Net cost: £250

And it’s absolutely amazing. 

But what wood is this made of please?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    Yeah, looks like oak. Is it heavy?
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    Not really - weighs 2kg

It is swimming pool routed - but I don't think sheds crazy amounts of weight does it?
  • 2kg is ridiculously light. My money is on cedar or chestnut by grain, but I'm not sure they are particularly light.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    American red Alder

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    It looks like white oak, with those very prominent long dark rays, but if so it should be pretty heavy - 2Kg even for the body alone doesn’t sound heavy enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Don't know but it looks ruddy marvellous !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    monoamine said:
    2kg is ridiculously light. My money is on cedar or chestnut by grain, but I'm not sure they are particularly light.
    Not Cedar for sure.. I have worked with it many times.. I also thought Sweet Chestnut but the grain/colour isnt quite right.. BUT yet, 4.4lbs for an oak Strat body.. No way...  Still looks like oak to me.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    At only 2 kilos my money's on balsa wood.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I sanded down a cheapo Stagg Warlock copy to see what their 'Solid Alder Body' looked like, turned out it was quite nice, similar grain to yours.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    That's a lovely thing @jaymenon the wood, the tort guard and the cream P90s is a beautiful combo.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Another vote for  alder   

These bits do look a bit like a white oak, but i cant see any pores or deep grain on either example

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    edited November 2020
    Thanks guys - looks like I have me an oak (or perhaps American Red Alder) strat that weighs 3.3kg (7lb 4oz) in its entirety :-)

I’ve just ordered a set of Kinman P90s that cost more than the guitar - it’s that good.

Or I’m that mad.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    jaymenon said:
    Thanks guys - looks like I have me an oak (or perhaps American Red Alder) strat that weighs 3.3kg (7lb 4oz) in its entirety :-)

I’ve just ordered a set of Kinman P90s that cost more than the guitar - it’s that good.

Or I’m that mad.
    It definitely won't be oak at that weight. I think GSPBasses will be correct that it's American red alder, I didn't see his post when I did.

You're not mad, it's the result that matters not the cost of the individual parts :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein