Is My Boss DS-1 Modified?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74390
    mike_l said:

Funnily, and I don't want an argument with ICBM, but the DS-1 I had sounded really fizzy, and not at all nice. But then I've found that with pretty much all Boss Distortion pedals.

I'm liking the SD-1 and SD-2 overdrive pedals though

Personal preference!

I find the SD-1 in particular far too boxy and nasal into a clean amp - it's great into an overdriven, scooped-sounding amp, but I would definitely describe the actual basic tone as not at all nice!

I agree that the DS-1 has a very narrow window of good tone between mud and fizz - but it is there (with most amps - there are some it doesn't like), and it has a really good open, aggressive sound.

If I had to choose one or the other I'd have the DS-1 every time. But actually I like the DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker even better... than any other dirt pedal :). (Even the Rat!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    Forgot to say... they sound fantastic together as well, SD-1 into DS-1. I also like the OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion - although I think it's not one of the 'greats' like the SD-1 and the DS-1, you can get some interesting layered sounds since the two parts are in parallel, which sounds very different from stacking them in series. It's also the pedal that taught me that (to my surprise at the time) I prefer distortion to overdrive for getting an 'amp-like' drive sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:
    personal preference!
    I find the SD-1 in particular far too boxy and nasal into a clean amp - it's great into an overdriven, scooped-sounding amp, but I would definitely describe the actual basic tone as not at all nice!

I'm getting a really nice heavy tone from mySD-1 into my little Marshall VS-30* with both my Jackson and my Charvel.
    Admittedly a little "boxy", but I'd put that down to the amp, as with the DSL (and Photek's Blackstar) it's not boxy. I also like it with a touch of chorus....

*Edit - set cleaner than a clean thing

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I think we have different ideas of what "buzzy", "boxy" and "heavy" are :).

Which is fine :D.

But adding chorus to it is definitely not fine :P.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    But adding chorus to it is definitely not fine :P.

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :((

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    In terms of sound quality I've always put the DS-1 about on a par with a Proco Rat - nothing "amp like", "touch sensitive" or anything buzz wordy about them, they're attitude pedals and you either like that or you don't.

(not that they sound similar...)
    mike_l said:
    ICBM said:
    personal preference!

I should say I've been happy with the sounds at home/bedroom volume, and not within a band context. BTW I've put the drive and tone levels to max

edited September 2013
    mike_l said:
    I should say I've been happy with the sounds at home/bedroom volume, and not within a band context. BTW I've put the drive and tone levels to max
    Aaargh my ears! :D

To me that's unbelievable horrid - boxy and harsh but with no real top-end. The SD-1 does not have actual top-end, just upper mud ;). Then add chorus and you're right into late-80s hair metal... noooooooooooo :).

There certainly is a way to get a great heavy sound out of one though - run it into a Mesa Dual Rectifier on the Modern High Gain channel :P.

Cirrus said:
    In terms of sound quality I've always put the DS-1 about on a par with a Proco Rat - nothing "amp like", "touch sensitive" or anything buzz wordy about them
    Don't agree. The DS-1 can sound very like a Marshall amp, if you set it right. Ask Joe Satriani, he used to use a DS-1 into the clean channel of a Marshall 6100 Anniversary amp exclusively for his distorted sounds. Not touch sensitive, no... but then neither is a Marshall really - not compared to the amps people who like touch-sensitivity like, anyway.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    I think some of the reason you get such vastly different opinions is that many pedals (especially the DS1) are exceptionally amp dependent. 
    Into my old Blackstar with a smidge of drive it was like Randy crossed with Satch epic shred sillyness. Into the pro reverb I replaced the Blackstar with it sounded like fizzy piss whatever I did. 
    ICBM said:
    mike_l said:
    I should say I've been happy with the sounds at home/bedroom volume, and not within a band context. BTW I've put the drive and tone levels to max
    Aaargh my ears! :D

To me that's unbelievable horrid - boxy and harsh but with no real top-end. The SD-1 does not have actual top-end, just upper mud ;). Then add chorus and you're right into late-80s hair metal... noooooooooooo :).

I agree that set-up sounds awesomes.........;)

I will say both the Jackson and the Charvel have a quite bright tone, and punchy pup's. So in the situation I have , and to my ears (and I love 80's metal) it's great. I don't know I'd necessarily want to use that set-up for gigging, but for a bit of home pracise/noodling it's (for me at least) great......

:D

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.......... 

Although (I've just done this) with a Strat it does sound thin, and not punchy at all...........

Not bad, just thin and lacking body. Should work where a thin tone is needed.

• I love the ds1 in all iterations I've used. But they all seem to need careful fiddling - once you've found the sweet spot, leave it.

But I find a lot of my opinions clash with others. I love the guvnor stock, and the jb is one of my favourite pickups...

But by far my favourite boss drive is the dyna drive. It just destroys every boutique pedal I've ever played for a general drive/distortion. It's either that or the Duncan power grid for me. Sadly, I own neither!
    I love the ds1 in all iterations I've used. But they all seem to need careful fiddling - once you've found the sweet spot, leave it.

But I find a lot of my opinions clash with others. I love the guvnor stock, and the jb is one of my favourite pickups...

But by far my favourite boss drive is the dyna drive. It just destroys every boutique pedal I've ever played for a general drive/distortion.
    This makes me think I need to try the Dyna Drive :).