Should string action/height get higher further up the neck?

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
Just been thinking. 

Suppose the guitar is set up ok etc. Its normal for the string (any of them) to be pretty close to the frets near the nut, ie the first fret and not need much pressure to push down before its fretted. 

Is it normal for the action/height of any given string to increase the further up the neck toward the bridge you go? Ie needs to be pushed down further before you fret it compared to fretting it on the 1-3rd frets? 

I think all my guitars are like this but never really thought about it. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    Yes, simply because of the shape of the string as it vibrates. 

Think of two people swinging a long skipping rope for an exaggerated version, the middle of the string needs more clearance from the frets to complete it's cycle. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5035
    That was the explanation given to me recently and it seemed a very good one. Easy for me to understand anyway. 
    Call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Yes, not only normal but correct.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yes it should, but at the extremes, a guitar with a too high nut and very low action at the bridge , ends up with what looks like almost the same string height all the way along the neck (which needs sorting of course)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Nice, thanks all. As you can see, the usual 2:30am musings when I can’t sleep haha. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • So when (eg on a typical Fender Strat) a 12th fret action of 2mm is quoted, should there be strict related measures (eg 1.5mm on the 6th fret or 2.5mm on the 18th fret) ? 

(Disclaimer - numbers chosen at random).
  • So when (eg on a typical Fender Strat) a 12th fret action of 2mm is quoted, should there be strict related measures (eg 1.5mm on the 6th fret or 2.5mm on the 18th fret) ? 

No - because nut height and relief will impact string height at different points along the neck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    So when (eg on a typical Fender Strat) a 12th fret action of 2mm is quoted, should there be strict related measures (eg 1.5mm on the 6th fret or 2.5mm on the 18th fret) ? 

In theory, yes - although the exact numbers depend on the relief, and are very sensitive to it.

A 'perfect' set-up with the neck dead straight and the nut the same height as the first fret would have an action of 0 at the nut, half the 12th-fret action at the 5th fret, and 1.5 times it at the 24th fret, but in the real world the nut will be fractionally higher and there will always be a tiny amount of relief, so the 5th-fret action will be slightly higher and the 24th (or 21st/22nd) fret action slightly lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I always thought a well set up guitar was one where the action was consistent all along the neck... shows what I know! I can rest easy now knowing my guitars don't need tweaking.
  • Thanks !!

I think I need to buy a cheap as chips guitar to start messing around with (tech).