SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

When selling - use video!

What's Hot
Bill_SBill_S Frets: 103
I just bought a secondhand guitar through Reverb. I have bought quite a few used instruments over the years, but I think this is the first time I have bought from an individual rather than a shop. I was nervous, only because the guy didn't have much Reverb "history" - not his fault, just a fact of life. 

It turned out to be a great transaction and we are both happy - he has his money and I have a stunning Ernie Ball Cutlass BFR in Malibu Gold. 

The point of this post is - when I contacted him, the first thing he did was to send me a five minute video, showing me the guitar in great detail. He started by opening the case, showing me the paperwork, the certificate of authenticity for the Ball Family Reserve model, and of course the guitar. He commented all the way through the video, and basically "sold" it to me.

He also sent a bunch of photos that weren't on Reverb, but the video is what did it for me - it gave me confidence I was dealing with a genuine guy - not sure if everyone does  this, but I will do this as and when I ever sell another guitar. 

Oh, here it is :-)

https://imgur.com/pfwT4Cv
1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    It’s a very useful thing to protect yourself as a seller too.

Whenever I sell anything on eBay, I make a video of it posted onto YouTube as a private video (in which I make it a point to mention that I’ve just sold this guitar to John Smith and I am about to send it to him) and send the buyer a link to that same video demonstrating that it’s working fine.

It certainly prevents people from making fraudulent claims subsequently...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    Fantastic looking guitar. Looking forward to the NGD post/review. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 103
    melod said:
    Fantastic looking guitar. Looking forward to the NGD post/review. Enjoy!
    Thanks! It is in fact a present from my wife and kids for my upcoming “special” birthday. This is of course very nice of them and I am a lucky man, but having checked the guitar over, I am now not allowed to see or touch it again until my “big day” in four weeks time!! I will do an NGD post then with pleasure
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    Couldn’t agree more, after my Lockdown Hair Video Productions movies shifted my amp.

Critics said: ‘ Fantastic in all respects. Great amp. Amazing hair. Darkness riffs.’
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I love the look of that, particularly the combination of 4x2 headstock and bound neck. Congrats

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @roberty ;Thank you - it oozes class, I love it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 390
    edited October 2020
    Very nice that sir!
    i sold a couple of guitars in lockdown and I asked the buyers if they’d like me to show them round over a FaceTime/WhatsApp video call. I think it’s a great way to to get to know who’s buying and who’s selling and Hopefully builds some trust & confidence for both parties prior to any long journeys being made or ham fisted  couriers being paid for.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I have done this for years, not only for proof that you actually have the guitar, but to show ANY little imperfection and to have something that shows condition pre posting - I also show the packaged item and the guitar in the case before sending to avoid dispute or disappointment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I yearn for a cutlass hss in charcoal frost. Yours looks lovely too. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    edited November 2020
    I would have to get someone in to do it! I so hate the sound of my voice that I never talk on video.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    I yearn for a cutlass hss in charcoal frost. Yours looks lovely too. 
    Cheers, good luck with your search. I think this will be my go to guitar for a long time! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom