Has anyone tried the Gretsch Streamliners?

What's Hot
ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 88
edited November 2020 in Guitar
Daft question I know but the Black Friday deals on the Streamliner 'Jr' are tempting my 'small-ish semi acoustic' GAS. (335s are too big and I struggle to play without a Bigsby these days... ) I'm very tempted at the sub 400 price point as will no doubt flip the p'ups for something anyway. Curious how the playability and electronics fare as understand this is the cheaper end of the G family (?). wondering if this would be a valuable upgrade job in the long run etc. all thoughts welcome + appreciated - cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    The Streamliners are like all guitars at that price point now. They’re well made and can be set up to play really nicely. There’s even a good chance of getting one that’s spot on out of the box. 

Unlike comparing a Squire to a top end Fender though, they are not just lower cost replicas of their big brothers, they are completely different structural designs that make the construction much cheaper. To my mind this doesn’t make them worse, so much as different. Not so alive in the hands perhaps but more stable and dependable for it. 

Have been known to be the gateway drug though, so proceed with caution ;)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Personally, I’d only bother with the G2420T.

it’s well built with a nice neck, but to get it to sound like a proper Gretsch, it’s going to take a pickup upgrade (and IMBO, if you’re going to do that, then replace the wiring loom
    while you’re at it). 

All in, you might be in the same cost territory as a used G5420T. 

An upgraded G2420T is worth no more on the used market than a stock factory G2420T.  So, upgrades are for your own entertainment. You will not get that money back.....unless you keep the original parts, return to stock, and sell off the upgrades separately 

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    edited November 2020
    TheMarlin said:
    Personally, I’d only bother with the G2420T.

it’s well built with a nice neck, but to get it to sound like a proper Gretsch, it’s going to take a pickup upgrade (and IMBO, if you’re going to do that, then replace the wiring loom
    while you’re at it). 

All in, you might be in the same cost territory as a used G5420T. 

An upgraded G2420T is worth no more on the used market than a stock factory G2420T.  So, upgrades are for your own entertainment. You will not get that money back.....unless you keep the original parts, return to stock, and sell off the upgrades separately 

I have the Rat rod one but basically the same thing as the 5420T

Its good it is bit rattly in places but maybe its a gretsch/bigsby thang. Either way I am a fan. Good quality guitar for the money. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • cheers folks. it's the g2655t I'm eyeing up for the smaller body. I'm more enthusiastic about a small semi acoustic w/a bigsby than 'the Gretsch sound' per se (Martin Gore fan or not...). Wouldn't expect to sell on or get money back but yearning for a project - just conscious that basic guitar might not be all that. will mull it over
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    edited November 2020
    They’re well built guitars. I’m just a fuss pot. 

IMHO, they’re as well built as a G5420.  The stock pickups are perfectly serviceable, they sound fine. But, I just like a Gretsch to sound like a Gretsch, which they don’t. 

But as an entry point into Gretsch, they’re great. 

You should also consider a Pro Jet.  They’re heavily chambered, and have blacktop Filtertrons (which are great pickups), very comfortable to play, and can be had used for £350ish. 

They’re great guitar, and an absolute bargain used, and sound way better than the price tag suggests. 
  • Nothing wrong with being a fuss pot mate - really appreciate the steer. well aware this might be a rabbit hole..!
  • thefezthefez Frets: 131
    I bought the G2655t a few months ago after not playing for about 10 years.

Absolutely love the thing. Light, looks good, plays well and I thought the price was decent (£404 I think). It's currently away for a setup so I'll be interested to see how it is when I try it again.

Doesn't quite have that famous Gretsch sound but I have removed some of the pole pieces to make it a bit brighter. Also removed the stock knobs because they were cheap and ugly but the fretboard and all else was fine.

Would highly recommend and would buy another one myself. 
  • Urgh - I caved. Been mulling it over but £355 at PMT for this felt too good to pass up. It's even the colour I like. Thanks for the input folks I'm sure there will be updates to come! 
    https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/gretsch-g2655t-streamliner-center-block-jr-bigsby-phantom-metallic
    That's a great colour. Was very close to pulling the trigger on it but went for the blue in the end. 
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 88
    edited November 2020
    En03-WM6-W4-AMA4-Bk

NGD!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Shipwreck said:
    En03-WM6-W4-AMA4-Bk

NGD!
    That be quick! 

Whats it like man? Looks nice :)
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    That looks incredible. 
    That looks great. How does it play?
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 88
    edited November 2020
    Initial thoughts in between work calls: Looks pricier than it is. I dig the form factor a lot - I really struggle with big guitars and it's not intrusive. Lovely to play unplugged. Play ability is fine although I am used to heavier strings/playing with more force so will get it set-up to improve tuning stability. (my #1 guitar is a Bigsby Tele that I am really, really familiar with so perhaps that accounts for something)  Pickups sound better than I expected - neck aint great but the bridge is nice. Sort of Wide Range Humbucker territory?  Needless to say it feels like a hell of a lot of guitar for less than a Strymon Timeline...!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom