Advice needed: Fender American Original Jazzmaster replacement bridge

What's Hot
I'm looking for some advice on replacing the stock bridge on a Fender American Original Jazzmaster. These are actually 9.5" radius and all the bridges I seem to find are 7.25" replacements. 

Any idea or recommendations at all?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited November 2020
    Staytrem or Mastery.

(I vote Staytrem as the bridge should pivot on the thimbles - that's the whole point of the design)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Staytrem always. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Staytrem, cheaper than the Mastery, does the job perfectly.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    My money went on Staytrem parts. Twice. AV 65 Jazzmaster and AVRI 62 Jaguar. 

It ought to be possible to replace the stock AO saddles with Mustang types, preset to a 9.5” radius. This fixes the self-adjusting saddle height grub screw issue. It might not fix the string spacing.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Or an American professional one
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 115
    Once I applied some Loctite 222, I found the stock bridge on my AO Jazzmaster to be perfectly stable, and with the angled neck pocket the 10 gauge standard roundwound strings I always use aren't jumping out of the saddles at all. Looks nicer than all the alternatives too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    I've never owned or even played a Jazzmaster but I've read so much about Staytrem versus Mastery, I almost want to buy a JM just to try the two bridges.
  • I've owned 4 of each.

It's mastery for me. It makes the guitar sound amazing.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    May I ask why you're replacing it? Only so I can refine my answer you see.
  • Mastery does sound a shade better I’d agree, however Staytrem performs better. No fuss, no rattles ever (which is not always true of Mastery despite the spiel) and works better with the vibrato in my opinion, by virtue of remaining a rocking bridge. 
  • oldhorsemurphyoldhorsemurphy Frets: 321
    edited November 2020
    Pabcrane said:
    May I ask why you're replacing it? Only so I can refine my answer you see.
    There's quite a lot of lateral movement on the low E and A strings in particular and it can often choke out on the edge of the fingerboard. Occasionally it also feels like the strings get stuck when I use the vibrato. 

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I may well be going down the Staytrem route. 
  • The Staytrem arrived today and is installed and all set up. Wow, what a difference. 

Thanks again to everyone for their advice 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom