1100 fair price for Gibson explorer?

What's Hot
Got the chance of a 2001 Gibson Explorer in ebony. Looks in good shape. Is £1100 a fair price or is that able to come down? 
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 658
    Seems high end of the spectrum to to me, condition withstanding. I've seen a few advertised in the 800-900 bracket on Facebook. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989 said:
    Seems high end of the spectrum to to me, condition withstanding. I've seen a few advertised in the 800-900 bracket on Facebook. 
    That sounds a bit too high, to be honest.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15278
    A guitar shop in my area took one in part-exchange. The price tag was under £1K. One of the staff nabbed it for himself.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • 'Got a chance'? These things arent hard to find - 1100 is way over the odds. I got one for £650 a year ago

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Got a chance'? These things arent hard to find - 1100 is way over the odds. I got one for £650 a year ago

They don't pop up much within a reasonable drive in my neck of the woods. 
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    edited December 2020
    The used prices for these are really all over the shop. I know because I'm considering selling mine. Looking on eBay sold listings I was seeing them fluctuate by a couple of hundred quid or more within weeks of each other. If I were a seller I'd be asking for north of £900 (and it seems I could get it, perhaps with some patience), while as a buyer I'd be looking to pay rather less.

I really don't get it. Couldn't spot a pattern or reason for the eBay discrepancies last I looked, and Reverb seemed to be a similar story.

But no, £1100 is really steep.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • I wouldn’t pay more than £750 for a used Gibson Explorer in any of the normal finishes (ebony, white, cherry)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    edited December 2020
    I wouldn’t pay more than £750 for a used Gibson Explorer in any of the normal finishes (ebony, white, cherry)
    Explorers are one of my fave body shapes, so they’re always on my radar and I agree - there are plenty out there in this^ bracket.

For a run-of-the-mill Explorer @ £1100, I’d want The Edge and Dallas Schoo to deliver it in person on a unicorn, then demo it on The Edge’s 1981 live rig.

NB. Personally, I don’t like them in black, but that’s just me. 

Left-field thought - there are some really nice vintage ‘70’s/‘80’s examples by UK luthiers around (JayDee*, Pete Back, Gordon Smith, etc), along with similar-age MIJ variants - might be worth considering?

Hardass, mercenary, cut-throat thought - given the current fiscal climate and time of year, you may find prices are even keener - sadly, it *is* a buyer’s market...

*Re, JayDee - as @Funkfingers will testify - we traded a very nice JayDee Explorer back and forth many years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/NyE74lW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wwQ2Qy7.jpg

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    edited December 2020
    I used to have a JayDee explorer back in the early 80's but eventually traded it on a Hamer Sunburst.  I regretted it, but it was too bulky to move around easily and at the time I was living out of hotel rooms half the year.  The Hamer went in a normal gig bag and my old Tom Scholtz Rockman went in the outside pocket, with leads, headphones and strap.  The explorer needed a hard case and was a major hassle when trying to move my suitcase and other stuff.

To satisfy my Explorer itch in 2004, I picked up a Richwood for about 100 quid and upgraded it (a lot), and still have it.
  • I bought an Explorer ‘76 reissue brand new in 2006/2007 for under £700. I wouldn’t be paying north of a grand for a second hand one now. 
  • I bought an Explorer ‘76 reissue brand new in 2006/2007 for under £700. I wouldn’t be paying north of a grand for a second hand one now. 
    Thanks for that. I remember seeing an explorer in a store in 2002 when I was 14 around £800. That's why I put this post up cos it felt a bit over the odds. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15278
    Re: JayDee - as @Funkfingers will testify - we traded a very nice JayDee Explorer back and forth many years ago.

That "basic" Explorer reached me retrofitted with two Ibanez Super series humbuckers. It did everything that a good SG can do. The neck position pickup was capable of a fabulous Jazz tone.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.