PSA Any Damned fans fancy a Rat Scabies LPJ/Special

What's Hot
Gibson Les Paul Junior Special DC Custom, Cherry, The Damned, Rat Scabies, Punk | eBay

Stumbled on this today whilst browsing for stuff - if it was one of Sensible's I think I'd be tempted.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited December 2020
    I know where one of sensibles jcm900’s is... and I also know it’s for sale

was mine and now our bass monkey has it!.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9122
    That's been up for a couple of months.  Seems Rat Scabies isn't the selling point it once was :(
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My brother has a guitar for sale, and he had scabies.
    Is that worth anything?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1358
    He says it was custom built for Rat , to me its a bog standard lp special dc faded, sold for £550 in the day , probs worth around £700 now .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a bog standard Special. And the note from 'Gibson' with all the spelling mistakes? What a crock of shite. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I was going to take a bunch of friends to the London gig, but £75 a ticket is a bit much.  I’ve seen them well over 80 times (probably closer to 100), and seen the original line up plenty of times. 

I know I’ve got a ticket to the Brum gig as an Xmas present from my friend, so will be heading north for that one.

I don’t think any of the venues have sold out.  Loads of tickets left.  
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1358
    TheMarlin said:
    I was going to take a bunch of friends to the London gig, but £75 a ticket is a bit much.  I’ve seen them well over 80 times (probably closer to 100), and seen the original line up plenty of times. 

I know I’ve got a ticket to the Brum gig as an Xmas present from my friend, so will be heading north for that one.

I don’t think any of the venues have sold out.  Loads of tickets left.  
    at that price i'm not suprised , that price is a ticket for a all day festival not a 1 night show with 1 support band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    My mate Chris lived next door to Captain on the 7 Dials in Brighton and I knew him from working in the local guitar store, very nice bloke and very down to earth. I have always made time to speak with him when he was about, as he is also very funny.

Machine Gun Etiquette is also a masterpiece and so he is winning at life!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve never seen Rat play guitar on stage, so what does this to do with The Damned?

Maybe ‘old drummers guitar’ doesn’t sound so good on eBay. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I met Rat a couple of times a few years back, he built a long run of cigar box guitars and amps, and I got a couple off him.
    He showed me the guitar in question at the time, and I think he said he had had it built to his spec, one of the perks of being in a big band at the time.
    We went down to his local and had a couple of pints, top bloke, and I think the bad blood between the band came from a dispute about Sensible buying the rights to the early stuff-hence an unfair split of royalties.
    It is good to see the new gigs planned, the classic line up, but I don't really think they will happen - hope they do, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    I saw the 40th anniversary show, when they played the first album in it's entirety for the encore, except for the one Scabies credited track 'stab yor back', so the bad feelings were running deep then.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    andy_k said:
    I met Rat a couple of times a few years back, he built a long run of cigar box guitars and amps, and I got a couple off him.
    He showed me the guitar in question at the time, and I think he said he had had it built to his spec, one of the perks of being in a big band at the time.
    We went down to his local and had a couple of pints, top bloke, and I think the bad blood between the band came from a dispute about Sensible buying the rights to the early stuff-hence an unfair split of royalties.
    It is good to see the new gigs planned, the classic line up, but I don't really think they will happen - hope they do, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    I saw the 40th anniversary show, when they played the first album in it's entirety for the encore, except for the one Scabies credited track 'stab yor back', so the bad feelings were running deep then.
    I was there, at The Hundred Club.  Got the t-shirt
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    If memory serves, That guitar mag interview that’s referenced in the ebay listing talks about that guitar being given to him as part payment for some production work he’d done on a record, and the number plate that was screwed on the guitar was the hotel room he had been staying in. Or something like that ?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Just zoomed in on the text, sort of, not really, ignore me 
  • vizviz Frets: 11042
    DrBob said:
    If memory serves, That guitar mag interview that’s referenced in the ebay listing talks about that guitar being given to him as part payment for some production work he’d done on a record, and the number plate that was screwed on the guitar was the hotel room he had been staying in. Or something like that ?
    It’s his lucky number - lots of 27s around Rat. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I can't see the gigs going well - there's a lot of bad blood there, especially between scabies and sensible.
    It's a total cash in. Sensible doesn't like playing songs off the 1st album because Rat gets all the royalties. Now they'll HAVE to play the 1st album in full , Rat will be cashing in, Sensible won't like that.

Besides,  I prefer MGE. What a masterpiece!!
    I can't see the gigs going well - there's a lot of bad blood there, especially between scabies and sensible.
    It's a total cash in. Sensible doesn't like playing songs off the 1st album because Rat gets all the royalties. Now they'll HAVE to play the 1st album in full , Rat will be cashing in, Sensible won't like that.

Besides,  I prefer MGE. What a masterpiece!!
    I agree. I’ve also seen Brian James and Rat play the first two albums a few times.  Brian plays a Tele these days, no SG.  His guitar tone is way too bright, maybe I was stood in the wrong spot, but his tone is unpleasantly bright, cutting.  

Agree with regards MGE. It’s my favourite Damned album, Anti Pope has always been my favourite track, but there isn’t a bad track in it. 
  • I was wondering about the forthcoming gigs, however ultimately decided I prefer to think of the first LP in all its original gory and glory.

Unlike when I went to see Devo play Are We Not Men, which felt entirely appropriate (sad that Alan Myers had passed).

And yes, MGE is a wonderful LP. I stupidly offloaded my Chiswick vinyl 25 years ago, and ended up buying a CD. I also had one eye on the Damned’s excellent version of Looking At You when I posted my MC5 link a couple of weeks back.

A very underrated band.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    Highly recommend the documentary 'don't you wish that we were dead', a highlight for me is the story about a US gig which ended up with Sensible in hospital, when the documentary was being made, video evidence showed that it was Scabies who threw the cymbal stand that put him there.
    I think I saw something in a Stiff documentary which said that when the publishing expired for the first few records, Sensible bought them up himself, which obviously caused some of the deep seated bad feeling, the only song omitted from the 40'th anniversary set was the one solely credited to Rat.