Incoming NGD... turns out it’s chambered / semi hollow

What's Hot
cm01cm01 Frets: 548
edited December 2020 in Guitar
I’ve been pretty good this year ... sold 3 guitars and bought 1 ... didn’t really have anything on my radar until I spotted this little beauty.  Should arrive next week, fingers crossed.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice. Has a Jeff Beck vibe about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 548
    Nice. Has a Jeff Beck vibe about it.
    Yep.. it’s Greco’s late 70’s take on his wraptail Les Paul 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thats really nice
    It’s arrived ... it’s light and super resonant .. neck is a little skinnier than I’d like but not a deal breaker.  The rosewood has some lovely character 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Stunner, happy NGD
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 603
    edited December 2020
    Is it a fixed neck or bolt on? It might just be my eyes but the low E string doesn’t look like it’s sitting parallel along the neck?
    edited December 2020
    It’s set neck ... I think it’s the angle it’s sitting at because it’s fine in person 

EDIT: I tell a lie, it is slightly out ... not really noticeable when playing it though 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Switch625 said:
    Is it a fixed neck or bolt on? It might just be my eyes but the low E string doesn’t look like it’s sitting parallel along the neck?
    Its a wrap tail, easily adjusted! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    edited December 2020
    So, just given it a clean up and a new set of strings and had a look inside ... turns out it’s chambered / semi hollow!

It’s very light - I’d guess under 7lbs, which makes sense - I’ve not seen construction like this before. It seems like as if the top is a thin layer of mahogany - from tapping the top it appears to be like this everywhere apart from a block behind the bridge.  

The neck tenon seems unusual as well, in that it has a couple of metal rods inserted into it - it’s hard to capture in the pics.

The most important thing is it plays beautifully and sounds great unplugged - very loud, sweet and chimey - I’m looking forward to plugging it in tomorrow to see how it sounds amplified.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks fabulous! And semi-hollow should make it sound great too. 

All-black or blacktop? The world needs more blacktops
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    All black ... I love it, can’t wait to plug it in
  • Built like a Proper Gretsch Duojet that. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    you should get acoustic feedback at lower volumes, I always liked that on my chambered guitars
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 358
    That looks fab, best of all worlds, and a stopbar tailpiece too!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111

Very cool.  I've always liked the Jeff Beck style LPs, I had the Edwards version for a while, wish I hadn't sold it.

I've seen these Grecos on eBay over the years but I never realised they were chambered (maybe some of them aren't).  I think sometimes they're a dark green colour rather than black, unless it's just the colour fading in a weird way.

I’ve had a ton of Grecos over the years but none have been chambered ... I had a purple Edwards Beck LP as well which was purple and I regretted selling too.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    cm01 said:
    I’ve had a ton of Grecos over the years but none have been chambered ... I had a purple Edwards Beck LP as well which was purple and I regretted selling too.
    I saw my old one on eBay.  It had turned up in Spain, and had acquired some dings and a different case.  I was tempted to buy it back, but they wanted more than I'd sold it for, so I wouldn't pay that much on principle.