Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar World Young Guitarist of the Year

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm guessing the age limit is something around 16? Would've been cool to see somebody like Chris Kingfisher Ingram on there but I think he's around 20-21.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some of these aren't even approaching shred - last one was just really nice melodic rock playing (with some great use of the trem!). Good luck to them all, great playing  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It reminds me very much of the old Shrapnel recordings. Very accomplished but hard to listen to for more than a few minutes. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited December 2020
    Barney said:
    Barney said:
    Some great technical young guitarists about but I often think lot have missed the the musical factor part of it associated with the blues usually ..and went straight to shred mode ...
    Is blues more musical? 

I find a lot to enjoy in classical Bach and modern metal, and I don't find it musically or emotionally lacking.
    I suppose it depends what you listen to really ...I can always tell the players that have missed that side of it though and went straight to shred ..I find emotion in classical but not normally modern metal ...I could be listening to the wrong things though 

Maybe. I remember someone telling me it was obvious Paul Gilbert didn't know much outside of shred. 

I think shred is as valid as any other form of music, from sludgey doom to hip hop and rap and back to percussive jazz. 

If I never heard a blues guitar solo again it would be too soon players like Ichika Nito, Tim Henderson, Paul Gilbert, buckethead, EVH all bring/brought exciting things to the guitar - it's just up to us as to whether we can appreciate it or not, and whether we want to listen to it or not.

Technique doesn't necessarily equal an interesting piece of music, but that's a reflection on composition and nothing else.

Edit: for balance, most classical music (as with most music full stop) probably doesn't interest me greatly and that's okay, just like shred doesn't necessarily interest you. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    Philly_Q said:
    (Three of them quote Plini as an influence - embarrassingly, I've never heard of him.)
    Why's that embarrassing? I've never heard of him either and, frankly, don't want to. We all have different tastes but this kind of music is not something I'd ever choose to listen to. Are these really the best young guitar players that this magazine can come up with? Are there no young bluegrass, 'roots' or classical players worthy of inclusion? In truth, I don't know this magazine – is it some kind of shreddy metal focussed publication?

If this guy Plini is a current guitar hotshot I feel like I should've at least heard of him, even if I haven't heard his music.

Guitar World has been going since 1980.  I wouldn't really call it shreddy metal focused, but it's always featured more rock and metal players than the other big US magazine, Guitar Player.  The latter would be much more likely to feature young bluegrass, roots or classical players - who, to be honest, wouldn't interest me in the slightest.  But as you say, we all have different tastes.

• BarneyBarney Frets: 628
    Barney said:
    Barney said:
    Some great technical young guitarists about but I often think lot have missed the the musical factor part of it associated with the blues usually ..and went straight to shred mode ...
    Is blues more musical? 

I find a lot to enjoy in classical Bach and modern metal, and I don't find it musically or emotionally lacking.
    I suppose it depends what you listen to really ...I can always tell the players that have missed that side of it though and went straight to shred ..I find emotion in classical but not normally modern metal ...I could be listening to the wrong things though 

Maybe. I remember someone telling me it was obvious Paul Gilbert didn't know much outside of shred. 

I think shred is as valid as any other form of music, from sludgey doom to hip hop and rap and back to percussive jazz. 

If I never heard a blues guitar solo again it would be too soon players like Ichika Nito, Tim Henderson, Paul Gilbert, buckethead, EVH all bring/brought exciting things to the guitar - it's just up to us as to whether we can appreciate it or not, and whether we want to listen to it or not.

Technique doesn't necessarily equal an interesting piece of music, but that's a reflection on composition and nothing else.

Edit: for balance, most classical music (as with most music full stop) probably doesn't interest me greatly and that's okay, just like shred doesn't necessarily interest you. 
    Don't get me wrong ...I can listen to shred iff it has some sort of format and mixed with other things ...in my opinion Paul Gilbert is one of them ...he can play all the shred type of thing but can play melodically as well ...but yeah everybody likes different things and that's a good thing !!
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
    Guitar playing (or music of any sort) as a competitive sport is missing the whole point, regardless of what genre is considered by the judges to be “the most technically challenging”. 

This is the reason the stupid crap peddled by Simon Cowshit has poisoned society to the extent that anything creative is valued in fractions of a penny now.

Sorry, I’ve had a bad day. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Someone should write to Guitar World and ask them for 2021 to introduce the: 

Over 55s under 12th fret three note blues riff nitro finish appraiser 12 gauge string 21 fret 7.25” radius ooooh ahhhh relic telecaster Jimmy Page impersonator curmudgeon category

I can imagine it would very popular on the FB.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    You lot would do well to have a listen to some current instrumental stuff like Plini, Covet or CHON. So much more interesting than the "old" shredder stuff like Satch, Vai, Malmsteen etc imo. And a million times more creative and melodic than your beige old dad blues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 628
    TTBZ said:
    You lot would do well to have a listen to some current instrumental stuff like Plini, Covet or CHON. So much more interesting than the "old" shredder stuff like Satch, Vai, Malmsteen etc imo. And a million times more creative and melodic than your beige old dad blues.
    Thanks just listening  to Plini on YouTube ...great stuff...im converted ...need to open my ears more 

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    all super talented at such a young age, but really boring to watch / listen to (not unimpressive though) it's the same saturated sound with loads of delay tails moving around the fretboard as much as possible, the young lady seemed to be the only one trying to put in some melody and character into her playing, the rest was just mastery of technical ability.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    edited December 2020
    Someone should write to Guitar World and ask them for 2021 to introduce the: 

Over 55s under 12th fret three note blues riff nitro finish appraiser 12 gauge string 21 fret 7.25” radius ooooh ahhhh relic telecaster Jimmy Page impersonator curmudgeon category

Or just a "Give us a bleedin' choon, son" contest.

I have over a hundred Zappa and Miles Davis albums, music doesn't have to be crass for me to like it, but honestly, if one of those kids got up there and blasted out Johnny Ramone style riffs like a machine gun they'd get my vote. 

Kids can be cool and full of angst and passion in a way old farts like me can only dream of, yet here they are, drably progging their way through competitions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    darcym said:
     the young lady seemed to be the only one trying to put in some melody and character into her playing, 
    Terrible backing track though. It was so busy I was convinced another video was playing too. I stopped it a couple of times to check there wasn't.
    darcym said:
     the young lady seemed to be the only one trying to put in some melody and character into her playing, 
    Terrible backing track though. It was so busy I was convinced another video was playing too. I stopped it a couple of times to check there wasn't.
    yes, track wasn't the best to show off the style she was showing (personal opinion only)  I'd love to hear some of these players in a 'band' type situation to see how they can make their talent fit into a group environment, maybe even in band environment where the guitar wasn't the focus or melody. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    darcym said:
    darcym said:
    yes, track wasn't the best to show off the style she was showing (personal opinion only)  I'd love to hear some of these players in a 'band' type situation to see how they can make their talent fit into a group environment, maybe even in band environment where the guitar wasn't the focus or melody. 
    I always maintain that Guthrie Govan's best stuff was playing with Dizzee Rascal 
  • darcym said:
    darcym said:
    I always maintain that Guthrie Govan's best stuff was playing with Dizzee Rascal 
    I thought you were being facetious, a quick google proved otherwise. Fantastic! I love GG as it is but this was just great.
  • Lovely to see technical skills but I would just love to see someone do an actual song in one of these competitions
  • p90fool said:

I have over a hundred Zappa and Miles Davis albums, music doesn't have to be crass for me to like it, but honestly, if one of those kids got up there blasted out Johnny Ramone style riffs like a machine gun they'd get my vote. 

Kids can be cool and full of angst and passion in a way old farts like me can only dream of, yet here they are, drably progging there way through competitions. 
    100% agree. There's a whole world of other guitar-based music outside of shreddy-but-bland competitiveness and White Man Blues (and holy christ is WMB boring as shit too). I want to hear songs

But whatever you want to hear, music in general shouldn't be about competition, and playing any given instrument alone certainly isn't a competition.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    p90fool said:

I have over a hundred Zappa and Miles Davis albums, music doesn't have to be crass for me to like it, but honestly, if one of those kids got up there blasted out Johnny Ramone style riffs like a machine gun they'd get my vote. 

Kids can be cool and full of angst and passion in a way old farts like me can only dream of, yet here they are, drably progging there way through competitions. 
    100% agree. There's a whole world of other guitar-based music outside of shreddy-but-bland competitiveness and White Man Blues (and holy christ is WMB boring as shit too). I want to hear songs

But whatever you want to hear, music in general shouldn't be about competition, and playing any given instrument alone certainly isn't a competition.
    you know that's a point I'd not considered, nothing wrong with being competitive, but actually, is a competition appropriate for this sort of stuff (did help GG's career no doubt so there is a flip side) 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    I think that although competitions of this type are a bit silly, it is useful promotion for those involved. 

I certainly don't see any harm in it.