The humble shielded hook up wire

What's Hot
Interesting article this, never knew about the cloth insulation absorbing moisture and capacitance being increased as a result 

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/29763-How-to-Upgrade-Your-Gibson-with-Vintage-Style-Wire
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    Soon to be available in NOS, Parts Drawer Dusted and "Relic". 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Bollocks. The whole point of it being wax-impregnated is to prevent that.

It's also easy to work with, not tricky.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20606
    So, guitar techs need to add a moisture probe to their test kits  B)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    The article actually says that the wire's *resistance* increases with moisture which is surely ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The article actually says that the wire's *resistance* increases with moisture which is surely ridiculous.
    If there was any moisture uptake it would *decrease* the resistance between core and shield.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Bollocks. The whole point of it being wax-impregnated is to prevent that.

It's also easy to work with, not tricky.
    The black cotton layer is wax impregnated but the white celanese layer inside it isn’t, I don’t think.

Seziertisch said:

The black cotton layer is wax impregnated but the white celanese layer inside it isn’t, I don’t think.
    And if it's inside the waxed layer, still can't absorb moisture...

• ICBM said:
    Seziertisch said:

And if it's inside the waxed layer, still can't absorb moisture...
    I haven’t tested it, but I never had the impression that Gibson-style hook up wire was airtight. The waxed layer is relatively loose.

I’d be very surprised that if it was stored somewhere with highish ambient moisture levels for a long enough period the white celanese would get damp/take in some of that moisture.

What effect that moisture in contact with the core would have on the signal passing through it, I don’t know, but I’m sure it must have some as water is also conductive.
    edited December 2020
    Seziertisch said:

What effect that moisture in contact with the core would have on the signal passing through it, I don’t know, but I’m sure it must have some as water is also conductive.
    Yes, but even if it was possible then the waxed layer would remain insulating. If the celanese layer got very damp it would potentially be conductive enough to reduce the insulation thickness to that of the waxed layer only, which would increase the capacitance slightly, but would have no other effect on the cable properties.

This type of cable was designed and used for voltages up to several hundred volts in equipment, and doesn't degrade significantly over decades - it's a complete non-issue at guitar voltages.

This is an absolute red herring - I would be far more worried about the effect of moisture on the rest of the electrics and even the wood than the cable, and if you're storing it somewhere where any of it is likely, don't!

Also, *pure* water is *not* conductive, which might surprise some people. The only reason water is normally conductive is because of dissolved salts.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Seziertisch said:

Yes, but even if it was possible then the waxed layer would remain insulating. If the celanese layer got very damp it would potentially be conductive enough to reduce the insulation thickness to that of the waxed layer only, which would increase the capacitance slightly, but would have no other effect on the cable properties.

I think there’s an error in the article, it says the moisture would increase resistance when he probably meant capacitance, which is what would cause high end roll off. 

How slight that would be and whether it would be noticeable i don’t know. I suppose if you look at how many feet of cable are in a wiring loom, it might add up if moisture had seeped into the whole thing.

How slight that would be and whether it would be noticeable i don’t know. I suppose if you look at how many feet of cable are in a wiring loom, it might add up if moisture had seeped into the whole thing.
    We're talking picofarads I would think. A different guitar cable (ie to the amp) will have more effect.

But I still don't think moisture take-up is even an issue, so it's moot - just more vintage guitar nonsense.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Now I know not to go swimming with my SG.
    Sassafras said:
    Now I know not to go swimming with my SG.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20606
    ^  Earlier sponsored prototype version of the modern weight belt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    cloth insulation … capacitance
    Spot the deliberate mistake.

a moisture probe
    Ooh, er, missus!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • cloth insulation … capacitance
    Spot the deliberate mistake.
    There'll be capacitance between the core and the braid that's outside the cloth.