Decent compact keyboard with quiet keys - any recommendations

What's Hot

Hi all

I can’t really afford it, but some recent annoyance caused by my current keyboard clattering all over my vocals through my mic has got me thinking about his to replace my keyboard with something better. 
I currently have a Yamaha MX49, the original version not the current newer one. This one https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-mx49

Sounds are actually really good, the usb interface is great for recording or for using Cubase midi stuff, just works.

But the keys are really loud so when recording vocals at the same time you can hear the cluttering and banging of the keys through the mic and I can’t get rid of it. Tried three different mics now and no avail. Therefore I would like something with quieter keys possibly.

If I were to look to performing in public on piano when it’s allowed again, I’d need something else anyway as it’s not a stage piano level, it feels like a toy and don’t think it would hold up too well. Also basically worthless, which is a problem as I won’t be able to get much from it towards a new one.
I think weighted keys may be the answer as they should be less clunky. Though I know this can vary between models.
I only need four octaves, would prefer something that size due to storage space restrictions.

Anybody got any good tips for a cheapskate like me?

Thanks

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Record keys and vocals separately?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • It's for performing it live!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Stick with your existing keyboard. Spend your money on a more directional microphone.

Here's the science bit.

https://www.shure.eu/musicians/discover/educational/polar-patterns
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It is a directional mic I'm using
    How directional?
    Be seeing you.
  • It's an sm58 I'm using now and just as bad as previous ones I've tried with different patterns
    Cardioid. Not directional enough.  :/
    Be seeing you.
  • Anybody got any good four octaves keyboards with quiet keys? And an adequate piano sound
    What sort of budget do you have in mind? 
    Be seeing you.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited December 2020
    I've no idea really, thought best to see what the recommendations were then see if it was possible really. 

If it can't be done for cheap (which I suspect it cannot as four octaves keyboards with nice keys seem to not exist in general, let alone for the pennies I'd get for following the existing one) then so be it, I'll just have to give up the idea.

Edit: Actually scratch that dead horse needs to stop being flogged as it's making a bloody mess up the wall. Thank you all and good night
  • Roland Go: Piano might be what you are looking for...
    The thread starter is currently on a voluntary forum break. He should be able to read this but can not reply.

From PM communications, my understanding was that a less clattery keyboard was deemed essential for a seasonal Zoom conference music event.

In all probability, by the time the thread starter returns from his break, the time pressure to buy a keyboard (or a fancy microphone) will have passed.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom