Solderless Wiring Kits

What's Hot
kramereekrameree Frets: 101
What are your thoughts on solderless wiring kits for strats and teles? Do they perform the same soldering? 
I ask as I'm rubbish at soldering and need a to buy pots, switch etc for a new build so looking at these as an option..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    In my experience they aren’t as reliable. And when you have to dismantle it to see what’s going on, it ends up being more of an issue than learning to solder. Don’t mean to sound negative and as with everything your experience may be different. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    edited December 2020
    Practice soldering (not soddering) on some scrap pieces. Then try on simple things. Solder isn't glue you heat the components and apply the wire. Also you will need three hands so a crock clip or something to hold things in place is essential. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    My thoughts are that they're a faff, usually not a neat solution so there's excess wire to jam into the cavity, and aren't 100% reliable. I've been given them with customers' guitars a few times and always found it easier just to get rid and solder the wires normally - if it's something like EMGs then you keep the solderless connectors on the pickups, so those can be changed by the owner, but there's no point for the controls.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kramereekrameree Frets: 101
    Cheers all.. Think it is time to learn to solder properly.. 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    There’s plenty of good info online on how to do it. If you get stuck come on here and ask, most of my biggest mistakes were down to struggling on rather than taking a break and asking. I’ve got a pencil ended 25w iron that does good for lugs, and a big 60w silver line chisel ended thing for soldering to the back of pots. People may have better suggestions but they cost about a fiver each and they work for me.
  • krameree said:
    Cheers all.. Think it is time to learn to solder properly.. 
    I used to be absolutely terrible at soldering, but there are some really good tutorials on YouTube. The breakthrough moment for me was learning as @slacker said above heat the components and then apply the solder: it's silly really I guess, but the first time I watched solder flow along two wires I'd twisted together was a great feeling :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom