50's Fender experts....

What's Hot
AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 992

Ignoring the listed price, what are your thoughts on this Musicmaster listed on Reverb -

https://reverb.com/item/37719567-fender-musicmaster-with-maple-fretboard-1956-1959

It's a far from original guitar naturally, and what's scribbled on the end of the neck is clearly done at a presumably much later date, but what would you normally expect to see there on a Musicmaster neck of this era? 
And do the pickup and pots look correct? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    My thoughts are, never buy a really short scale guitar. It will never feel like a proper instrument . Any vintage goodness that might be present, will be completely overshadowed by the fact that it feels like a child's guitar.
  • CloudNine said:
    My thoughts are, never buy a really short scale guitar. It will never feel like a proper instrument . Any vintage goodness that might be present, will be completely overshadowed by the fact that it feels like a child's guitar.
    That would be a 22.5 incher wouldnt it ?   I've got a later mustang that I love as its instant Big Star but thats 24"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    The original would have been a pencil date simply reading 9-57, if that's what it was according to what’s written there now. (Which I don’t see any reason to doubt.)

The pots, tone cap and jack look original but the pickup has been rewound by the look of it, although the flatwork and magnets look right.

The pickup cover and the bridge base (but not the saddles) are original, but probably nothing else on it is - the pickguard looks like a crudely gold-painted white plastic, presumably the original aluminium one was hacked out for the humbucker.

So really it’s a refinished neck, a damaged and refinished body, some original electrical parts and an original case... and even those aren’t worth a lot because they only fit these and Duo-Sonics.

Which makes the price very hard to overlook...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 992
    CloudNine said:
    Well thanks for that
    But I owned a short scale Musicmaster before and liked it a lot. I personally have no issue at all with varying scale lengths in electrics or acoustics.
    ICBM said:
    The original would have been a pencil date simply reading 9-57, if that's what it was according to what’s written there now. (Which I don’t see any reason to doubt.)

The pots, tone cap and jack look original but the pickup has been rewound by the look of it, although the flatwork and magnets look right.

The pickup cover and the bridge base (but not the saddles) are original, but probably nothing else on it is - the pickguard looks like a crudely gold-painted white plastic, presumably the original aluminium one was hacked out for the humbucker.

So really it’s a refinished neck, a damaged and refinished body, some original electrical parts and an original case... and even those aren’t worth a lot because they only fit these and Duo-Sonics.

Which makes the price very hard to overlook...
    @ICBM - Thanks, much appreciated.
    The back of the scratchplate in the "pots" photo - it looks very much like metal under the chipped paint edge rather than plastic. I'm certainly no expert but can I ask why you think this is not original?
    Cheers

I’m pretty sure it’s plastic if you look at the back of it - and if it was metal, there would be no need for the extra ground wire added between the pots and jack. (I do sometimes add ground wires anyway to ensure a better connection, but most people don’t.) Even if it’s metal, it’s not quite the right shape and original guards are not painted white on the back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I’m pretty sure it’s plastic if you look at the back of it - and if it was metal, there would be no need for the extra ground wire added between the pots and jack. (I do sometimes add ground wires anyway to ensure a better connection, but most people don’t.) Even if it’s metal, it’s not quite the right shape and original guards are not painted white on the back.
    Cheers, really appreciate the advice.
    The seller's offering a very substantial reduction but even so, it's all too mucked about with for my liking.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    edited December 2020

AlbertC said:

The seller's offering a very substantial reduction but even so, it's all too mucked about with for my liking.

Like, 85% of the price? That might be more attractive.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

AlbertC said:

Like, 85% of the price? That might be more attractive.
    sure would, but in this case a mere -30%  :)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    CloudNine said:
    Yeah of course....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I liked my '65 22.5" Musicmaster a lot - I gigged with it with a rock'n'roll band, strung with 12s with a wound 3rd. It sounded great - like a huge Strat neck pickup, and was easy enough to play... but I do have very small hands.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    AlbertC said:
    … the scratchplate … can I ask why you think this is not original?
    Aluminium sheet, fastened by steel screws, in proximity to human sweat, is a recipe for corrosion.

Typically, this will manifest as circular white areas around the screw and jack socket holes. Crusty next to each hole, becoming powdery towards the edge.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Having looked again on a larger screen, the guard may actually be thin metal - but it's certainly painted white on the back, and appears to be black under the gold on the front. There's also definitely something just slightly off about the shape. Either way I don't think it's an original.