Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First BareKnuckle ever

What's Hot
So After a long long long thought I have ordered a Stockholm hsp90 to go into my SG special, 
Never used barekuckle pickups due to the price put me off and I always seem to go for humbuckers I know like Dimarzio SD, Tonezone, Duncan Custom and Oilcity Stuff. 

After research The stockholm was the only one that offered what I think I will like, I just fancy a p90 in that guitar as I always wanted a p90 for something different compared to the rest of my collection and to standout different when I do multitrack recording and for lead parts etc. 

Fingers crossed it will be what Im after, a big sounding raw pickup with some definition 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I have a feeling you will be very happy with your experience. :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    My pickup brand of choice - never tried one I didn't like.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I've had a fair few BK pickups over the years, they do a good job but to be honest I'm put off by the price these days.

There is one thing that REALLY annoys me with BK though, they don't mark their pickups in any way, no sticker, nothing. This is really annoying when I'm fishing through my spare pickups, find one and have no clue as to what it is, or if it's Bridge or Neck. I think it's pretty shoddy for an expensive item. 

In my latter days of using them I would scratch something on the base. A bit naff to have to do that ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They are ok.
    Definitely not the best and the prices are a bit silly now.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25573
    edited December 2020
    I've had 3 of them
    Didn't like any of them.

EDIT: Although to be fair unless it's a Seymour Pearly Gates or EMGs I generally don't like anything!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• They are ok.
    Definitely not the best and the prices are a bit silly now.
    I think it was the fact I wanted a high output p90 for the bridge and the stockholm was the closest to what I have in my head 

I love oilcity stuff but none of there's sounded right to me. If I was going humbucker I probably would have got an oilcity 
  • I have their humbuckers (Aftermath, Juggernaut, Cold Sweat neck and Nailbomb bridge) in 3 of my guitars. They're great for those but didn't get on well with their single coils. I have Oil City ones in my Strat and Tele.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    axisus said:
    There is one thing that REALLY annoys me with BK though, they don't mark their pickups in any way, no sticker, nothing. This is really annoying when I'm fishing through my spare pickups, find one and have no clue as to what it is, or if it's Bridge or Neck. I think it's pretty shoddy for an expensive item. 

It's funny, that used to get mentioned a lot on the (now comatose) BKP forum.  I can remember @FelineGuitars posting about it.  Sounds like they still haven't rectified it.

I've got four(?) uninstalled sets of BKPs lying around somewhere.  Not uninstalled because I don't like them, I just can't ever get round to any DIY projects.

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    There are better makers that are cheaper by some distance imo, I even had a neck mule rewound by shed years ago because bk was not very nice, came back sounding lovely

I also had access to trade prices and didn't use them, even this wasn't cheap enough to compete with others
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    I have their humbuckers (Aftermath, Juggernaut, Cold Sweat neck and Nailbomb bridge) in 3 of my guitars. They're great for those but didn't get on well with their single coils. I have Oil City ones in my Strat and Tele.
    I put some of the medium output BK boot camp pickups in a tele. I much preferred the stock US std pickups but I put in some SD's and they were miles better and similar price to the BK's. Won't be buying any more BK's at their prices. If you don't want the expense of SD then Iron Gear do nice single coil pickups and more than a match for BK and half the price. I think the markup on some pickups is marketing hype. I'm not sure the boot camps are even wound in the UK. Not that that matters I don't suppose but if they aren't it's to keep manufacturing costs down. If that's the case why are they on a par with US made SD's price-wise?   

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Not as impressive as Ronnie Pickering’s bare knuckles. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    Not as impressive as Ronnie Pickering’s bare knuckles. 
    Who?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1592
    Devil#20 said:
    I have their humbuckers (Aftermath, Juggernaut, Cold Sweat neck and Nailbomb bridge) in 3 of my guitars. They're great for those but didn't get on well with their single coils. I have Oil City ones in my Strat and Tele.
    I put some of the medium output BK boot camp pickups in a tele. I much preferred the stock US std pickups but I put in some SD's and they were miles better and similar price to the BK's. Won't be buying any more BK's at their prices. If you don't want the expense of SD then Iron Gear do nice single coil pickups and more than a match for BK and half the price. I think the markup on some pickups is marketing hype. I'm not sure the boot camps are even wound in the UK. Not that that matters I don't suppose but if they aren't it's to keep manufacturing costs down. If that's the case why are they on a par with US made SD's price-wise?   
    They are made in the BK workshop, by the same guys who make all the pickups.  I've seen them being made and the reason they are cheaper is that they are made in bulk, so the winders can make multiple coils, one after the other, without having to change the machines.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited December 2020
    If it's anything like the Mississippi Queen HSP90 neck pickup I have you'll love it, it does that big raw thing you're after. Expensive but it's still the best neck pickup I've had. Want a bridge to match but not at their current prices, just need to wait for a 2nd hand one to crop up. Or go for an Oil City next time. 

I've had quite a few Bare Knuckles and they've all been good pickups. My favourites are the Black Dogs in an LP, and then the neck MQ.
  • Similar prices to Montys? The pickup world has become expensive in general
  • Devil#20 said:
    Who?
    One of the biggest twats ever to walk the planet:

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12887
    The country boy tele pickups are the best tele pickups I’ve heard. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Devil#20 said:
    Who?

WOOOOOOSH ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4419
    edited December 2020
    Devil#20 said:
    Who?

I'd forgotten about Ronnie Pickering! This video still cracks me up every time I watch it:

https://youtu.be/r0dcv6GKNNw

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Devil#20 said:
    Maybe a bit of an unfair comment for me to say I didn't like their single coils as I only used one set lol, it was The Boss Tele set which just wasn't doing it for me. Whether or not it was the wrong pickup in the wrong guitar or just me not liking it I'll never know. Not used any of their Strat single coils but I'm happy with my Oil City ones, and they weren't overly expensive either.