Any TV recomendation for around £400 to £500 ?

What's Hot
Been looking today and just so many to choose from, was all set to get a Samsung but some there are deals in JVC at Curry's, also LG and Phillips.
I saw on you tube they recommend the TCL brand.

Was really looking at 50 being the largest I would like but some seem to be 55.

Anyone bought a TV recently they can recommend for picture and sound

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Best cheaper range TVs I've known are Hisense, and apparently the software on the latest models is superb.

https://ao.com/product/50ae7400ftuk-hisense-tv-black-76370-108.aspx
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't be model specific, but I'd buy from John Lewis who put a comprehensive five year warranty on their sets.  Had my last LG replaced at over 4 years old.  Replaced with a Samsung.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3163
    Forget the features, forget the screen size, forget the picture quality, the one thing that I need more than anything is a speedy remote. One that will whizz through the channels at warp speed. Don't care if its a really crappy TV for £200 as long as its got that warp speed.

Currently got an excellent (at the time) Toshiba, now 12 years old. I really want it to die, but it won't.

The remote is sooooo slow. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8124
    edited December 2020
    Lidl are offering a 4K Sharp 50” Smart TV. My son bought one, was £260. It’s excellent, way bether than my Samsung that cost four
    times as much. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    Lidl are offering a 4K Sharp 50” Smart TV. My son bought one, was £260. It’s excellent, way bether than my Samsung that cost four
    times as much. 
    Incredible price that.

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Best cheaper range TVs I've known are Hisense, and apparently the software on the latest models is superb.

I have looked at these online. Reviews suggest the picture quality isn't as good as some of the leading names, but they do look good for the money

I have looked at these online. Reviews suggest the picture quality isn't as good as some of the leading names, but they do look good for the money
    PQ is superb for price and have decent motion processing and good game mode for money. Some of the other cheaper brands, JVC, Hitachi, Toshiba etc... are 50hz whereas Hisense are 60hz.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11423
    Have a look at Richer Sounds. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    edited December 2020
    We got a Samsung UE50RU7400 in March this for £399, very happy with it, feed it with Sky Q and the 4K UHD pics are superb. A good looking TV with very slim bezels.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/uhd-4k-tv/ru7400-50-inch-crystal-uhd-smart-tv-ue50ru7400uxxu/

onboard sound is average but we use an Onkyo s/sound

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    Had several Samsungs which were all great. Got an LG now but wouldnt have another, the remote is very slow and the programme guide poor. 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited December 2020
    If you have the space for a large TV,  55" seems to be the new standard size.

Currys / PC World have some excellent 55" TVs for under £450.

There are TVs from JVC, Sharp, and Toshiba which all look similar. The LED TV panels are made by LG.  Hisense is a Chinese company which uses LG panels for their QLED TVs. I don't know if they make their own LED TV panels. I understand that Sharp is not owned by the Japanese anymore.

The cheaper TVs have a refresh rate of 50Hz, so you may notice some blurring, for example, when a football is kicked, although that has been eliminated these days with software trickery. Some have a 60Hz refresh rate,  and of course, the more expensive models go higher. HDR stands for High Dynamic Range for better picture viewing.

All the TVs have the Public TV channels, Freeview channels, and in addition some offer Freesat.

Where the difference comes is in the software and facilities each maker offers - Catch-up TV, 4K Streaming, HDMI and USB ports, and other connector ports.

Some of these facilities at the back, or side, are ergonomically laid out for connecting DVD Players / Recorders, USB sticks, Ethernet cable, and other set-top boxes. Some may have a more intuitive and user friendly menu system. .  

You need to decide what you want in a TV. All of them should be able to connect to your Wireless Broadband Router for internet access, and movie streaming via Netflix.

Select a TV size, and make a short list of the ones you find attractive within your budget. Ask a sales person for the Remote Control handsets and have a quick play to see which picture quality you prefer, and which Menu System is easy to use. Check how quickly you can find the Program Guide and Teletext. Check the volume level of the speakers, and so on.

Finally, John Lewis, Currys PC World, and Richer Sounds, all offer 5 years warranty. Check that this applies to the On Sale models.

This Hisense 55U7QFTUK 55" Smart 4K QLED TV from Currys PC World costing £599 looks interesting for the money:-

NOTE: This is a high picture quality 4K QLED TV. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/hisense-55u7qftuk-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-tv-with-amazon-alexa-10207120-pdt.html

PS: I have a Samsung 55" 3D TV. 3D TVs have been discontinued three years ago. Still a stunning TV, though.
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Do you currently own full HD or 4k TV ?
    If you making a switch from full hd to 4k , make sure you watch some SD definition channels in store before you take it home . 
    The less you pay the worse the upscaling software and hardware will be.
    With budget around £500 , you won't really find any decent TV , especially if you like football , as the motion can be really annoying on cheap sets .
    If however this is your max budget , I would definitely go for Hisense .
  • Jazzthat said:
    Do you currently own full HD or 4k TV ?
    If you making a switch from full hd to 4k , make sure you watch some SD definition channels in store before you take it home . 
    The less you pay the worse the upscaling software and hardware will be.
    With budget around £500 , you won't really find any decent TV , especially if you like football , as the motion can be really annoying on cheap sets .
    If however this is your max budget , I would definitely go for Hisense .
    I don't have a 4k at the moment, just 4 year old Samsung. 
    Not bothered about football but would like it for films mostly