Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot
Born out of this excellent thread:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/170832/2020-fretboard-virtual-running-club

Let’s keep it going again this year and hopefully get some new runners joining us. 

I’ll post up some stats for my first 12 months of running later...
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
     My post from yesterday:

Went out today to open my account for the year and managed to lose an AirPod in the slop. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    Completely failed to keep the running up last year but I'm trying again this year.

It's going to be right back to the start for me so I'll be tackling c25k again.  Starting tomorrow on the treadmill.  Don't really fancy running in 4 inches of snow.
  • I just started a training program to run 10km in 50 mins. Despite doing lots of running last year, my fitness reduced due to not cycling 20 miles a day 3 times a week to work. Hoping this will bring it back up again.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    I'll be starting again on Monday. I have to get pissed tonight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    it is something I would like to do, and in the past always enjoyed running. I did make a start back in 2019 but my dodgy knee just couldn't take it. It's fine doing resistance training, and likewise doing 10-15 min HIIT workouts, but a 20 min run and it flares right up. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    A review of running in 2020. For the first time since being forced to at school, in my early 40s I decided it was appropriate to start running; even though I’d had dodgy knee for 20 years.

Injured from Jan - March.

Injured from April - June.

;) Managed 10 runs in 6 months.

Fortunately resting up, cycling, rowing, and body weight conditioning (skipping, shadow boxing etc) kept me in shape and strengthened the knee.

A more cautious approach in the second half of the year (slowed down a bit, made sure I warmed up before/stretching after) resulted in 70 more runs and the following stats:

~ 400 total miles 
    Longest run - 11 miles 
    5k PB  - 23:22
    10k PB - ~ 49 although if honest I think Strava was a bit generous that day. I’ve certainly done early 50s numerous times though. 

This year I have one modest aim - complete my first 13 miler, I’m not interested in smashing any PB times but if it happens it happens. If anything I’m running slower now to maintain better form.

Injury notwithstanding I’m very happy with my first 12 months running. I can knock out sub 9 min miles if I want, but for over 3 miles ~ 9:30 feels right. 

The main thing is to enjoy it, I honestly really do look forward to my runs even in this weather. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    I have just started running the last few months, run....walk....run walk....walk...etc,  not more than 4 miles as my knees start to complain.
    I usually play squash in the winter but due to covid haven't been on court for 10 months.

I did manage to hit my 2000 mile cycle target though.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    First run in about 4 months yesterday. 5km at a slower pace than I’m capable but trying not to do too much too soon, in hope I can stay healthy as I want to get to 1000 miles this year if possible. 
  • My goals for 2021:

- 1,000 miles total. In 2020 I ran 1,400 km, so I reckon this is just about within reach. TBH though my main priority is to keep up my regular schedule of 3-4 runs per week.

- Another half marathon. I did my first in 2020 (Cambridge HM in March). Fingers crossed that this kind of event becomes possible again as we go through the year.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11809
    I went out to run last night but after about 300 yards I nearly slipped so ended up doing more a power walk for the duration instead of running. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    I’m aiming for 1000km this year.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    My goal is to do a sprint triathlon on may.

400m swim
    18k cycle
    5k run.

Can do them all individually, I've got a way to go to do the 3 one after the other.

Working on getting to do 10k runs as part of my training.

Only ever ran that distance once. Did 8k last week do getting close.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    edited January 2021
    For anyone who has knee problems, is the pain while running or after? I had knee issues, I would get pain after running not during. I discovered it wasn't my knees that were the problem but tight thigh muscles. I fixed by using a foam roller to massage my thighs, just lie with your legs on the roller then roll backwards and forwards. It worked wonders for me.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    relic245 said:

400m swim
    18k cycle
    5k run.

Can do them all individually, I've got a way to go to do the 3 one after the other.

Best of luck! It’s a slippery slope; one day you’re doing a sprint, the next minute you’ve signed up for an Ironman

Sprint tri’s are great fun though. Which one are you doing? 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    joneve said:
    relic245 said:

400m swim
    18k cycle
    5k run.

Best of luck! It’s a slippery slope; one day you’re doing a sprint, the next minute you’ve signed up for an Ironman

Haha, absolutely no intention of taking it further. I have a mate who does the iron-man and the sheer amount of hours he invests is incredible. 

I'm signed up for the Stratford on Avon one. Assuming it can take place on May 9th.

Sounds like you have some experience? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Dropped to 900k from my usual 1200k last year.

Would like to get back to a decent number again this year.
  • relic245 said:
    joneve said:
    relic245 said:

400m swim
    18k cycle
    5k run.

Haha, absolutely no intention of taking it further. I have a mate who does the iron-man and the sheer amount of hours he invests is incredible. 

I'm signed up for the Stratford on Avon one. Assuming it can take place on May 9th.

I'd quite like to do a triathlon, no idea how to get into it though.
    relic245 said:
    joneve said:
    relic245 said:

400m swim
    18k cycle
    5k run.

Yep, I had ‘no intention’ of taking it further than the Woodhall Sprint Tri I signed up to in 2014. 3 years later I was doing the London Olympic Tri with ‘no intention of taking it further than that’...a year later I was doing a half-iron distance in 30 degree heat and thought that was hard enough...then in 2019 I did Ironman Copenhagen. 

What I’m saying is, the adrenaline kick you’ll get from completing a triathlon will likely make you want to keep pushing yourself :) 

If they’ve managed entry numbers and pools are open by then, no reason it shouldn’t go ahead. I marshalled the first ‘post lockdown’ triathlon in the summer and it can definitely be done safely. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    relic245 said:
    joneve said:
    relic245 said:

400m swim
    18k cycle
    5k run.

I'd quite like to do a triathlon, no idea how to get into it though.
    Got a bike and some swimming trunks? Should be all you need :) 

PM me if you want any advice or help. 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    I’m no triathlon expert, but I’ve marshalled a local one a couple of times.  I’ve seen the full gamut of folks doing the bike stage, from the ones in tri-suits on carbon fibre bikes, to the ones just wearing whatever and riding a sit up and beg, or a mountain bike.  It certainly isn’t necessary to spend loads on gear.