What basses are owned by the members?

What's Hot

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    Sandberg VM4:

Yamaha BB614:

Yamaha BB now has a black pickguard as I prefer the look. Was tempted to do further "upgrades" such as getting a passive switch installed (or converting it to entirely passive eq) and possibly a Gotoh bridge but have put those on hold as they would be of questionable benefit. Am still tempted to fit lightweight tuners as those would bring a definite gain in terms of overall weight.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    blobb said:
    My favourite now is a Kramer Aluminium neck. I played a SG Nanyo Bass Collection for a few years, really enjoyed that, nice and compact.
    A great bass, the aluminium can be a bit cold to hold in winter but the sound is very smooth, warm and organic.

GuyR said:
    I have a few basses. Here are most of them
    https://i.imgur.com/nxszyfd.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/6trAIBZ.jpg

Are any of those preCBS ?

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    Just my Nanyo SGC Bass collection
    (active)

With flats

I love dub bass

probably need to get another bass to cover different sounds
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    Bork said:
    blobb said:
    My favourite now is a Kramer Aluminium neck. I played a SG Nanyo Bass Collection for a few years, really enjoyed that, nice and compact.
    A great bass, the aluminium can be a bit cold to hold in winter but the sound is very smooth, warm and organic.

GuyR said:
    I have a few basses. Here are most of them
    https://i.imgur.com/nxszyfd.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/6trAIBZ.jpg

Are any of those preCBS ?
    The front three, from the left, 62, 64, 65, all original finish.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Just my Nanyo SGC Bass collection
    (active)

With flats

I love dub bass

probably need to get another bass to cover different sounds
    Any conclusion that you need to buy more kit is clearly the right answer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Squier CV Jazz here. 
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    edited December 2020
    GuyR said:
    Very nice!  Especially the CAR 65 with matching headstock.  Do you ever get concerned that they're getting a bit fragile with age?  I played Herbie Flowers 1960 Jazz in LPB over Fiesta red once and it was so light that I thought I might break something off it.  The pots were gummy in action and a little loose.  I nearly bought a '65 myself in sunburst but backed off after realising that gigging with it would put a significant sum of money at risk the moment I was out of reach.

[This space for rent]

• I've have a black Epiphone Jack Casady for when the mood takes me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KristoKristo Frets: 123
    Epiphone Rivoli & Guild B-240E. 
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    Bork said:
    GuyR said:
    Very nice!  Especially the CAR 65 with matching headstock.  Do you ever get concerned that they're getting a bit fragile with age?  I played Herbie Flowers 1960 Jazz in LPB over Fiesta red once and it was so light that I thought I might break something off it.  The pots were gummy in action and a little loose.  I nearly bought a '65 myself in sunburst but backed off after realising that gigging with it would put a significant sum of money at risk the moment I was out of reach.
    Thank you! I never worry about them. They are as robust as any Jazz bass and none are pristine, so a bit more wear is no concern. They never see the inside of a case and all get very regular use. I am fortunate that nothing has broken but I'd have no hesitation in changing a pot or rewinding a dead pickup if beyond repair. No point in keeping something that has no practical use. Buy one if you get the opportunity, even a refin. They are different to modern basses. A good one is, anyway.
  • Warwick $$ Corvette here, beautifully tactile thing with satin-finished swamp ash body and ovangkol neck :love:
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, 310 I think, PJ active config. I picked that up for 60 quid on ebay!
    Musicman Stingray
    Ibanez SR370 fretless, superb for the money.
    Some sort of Precision is on the cards as well, to join the family.
  • Squier VM Jazz
    Bitsa Precision
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Scored another solid body Hofner, I love the necks and sound of these basses. Very easy to play. This is the dealer pic, a guy in Germany, PhilThy guitars; he really knows Hofners. This one is a refin but if he hadn't told me I don't think I would have known. His pickup rewinds are excellent too. With their floating bridges, they can take some adjustment to get the intonation right and action set to suit but once set up to taste they're wonderful players.

• I just got this Beauty from Thomann  29th Dec. Absolutely love it . Huge Nikki Sixx fan , they also do a thunderbird style I’m lusting after .

• Yamaha Nathan East
    Lakland 55-94
    Fender Jazz 60s Reissue 

Apart from a bit of recording I never play bass nowadays and should really sell a couple of these.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited January 2021
    Double post

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    JezWynd said:
    prowla said:
    I’ve never had a Sandberg.

I am quite partial to Rickenbackers.

Nice collection. Do you have a favourite? Also, do the fretboard widths vary, is one notably slimmer than the others? (asking for a friend). :)

I've never noticed the width of the necks, TBH.
    Some are thicker than others from back to front, with the 5-string being the chunkiest and the one with the whammy next.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Vintage Rick basses and reissues are 1-5/8” at the nut, modern ones are 1-11/16” - I’m not certain when they changed. They can also vary widely in depth and profile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

I used to have one or two more, but currently I've got two, which I built myself.

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsbassone1jpg

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsbasstwojpg
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister