Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• joneve said:
    relic245 said:
    joneve said:
    relic245 said:
    My goal is to do a sprint triathlon on may.

400m swim
    18k cycle
    5k run.

Can do them all individually, I've got a way to go to do the 3 one after the other.

Working on getting to do 10k runs as part of my training.

Only ever ran that distance once. Did 8k last week do getting close.
    Best of luck! It’s a slippery slope; one day you’re doing a sprint, the next minute you’ve signed up for an Ironman

Sprint tri’s are great fun though. Which one are you doing? 

Haha, absolutely no intention of taking it further. I have a mate who does the iron-man and the sheer amount of hours he invests is incredible. 

I'm signed up for the Stratford on Avon one. Assuming it can take place on May 9th.

Sounds like you have some experience? 
    I'd quite like to do a triathlon, no idea how to get into it though.
    Got a bike and some swimming trunks? Should be all you need :) 

PM me if you want any advice or help. 
    I have a bike and some trunks, also some running shoes and a open water swimming wetsuit. I do a fair bit of swimming, running and cycling - just never done them in one event.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Sadly my running is limited to one 5k per week, and has been for about 3 years now. Deterioration of hip and knee joints. I miss my running greatly but I can't complain, there are people far worse off than me.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm still running without a watch, plodding on to see if I can get a good base over the winter and into spring. Currently I'm doing 20-25 miles per week, which is about as much as I've ever done when not doing long runs to prepare for an event.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    edited January 2021
    I'm still running without a watch, plodding on to see if I can get a good base over the winter and into spring. Currently I'm doing 20-25 miles per week, which is about as much as I've ever done when not doing long runs to prepare for an event.
    I'm selling my old one from £50 posted if you were interested? 

Edit: it's this one: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/538374

:) I mean I leave my watch at home, but cheers for the heads-up.
  • First run of the year surprisingly even after nearly 2 weeks off manage a sub 30min 5k fairly comfortably.(6k total in 40mins including 5min walk warmup and 5 min walk cool down)

Would love to be able to get to a 25min 5k. this year

I think it might be cool to have a monthly totals thread too.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    :) I mean I leave my watch at home, but cheers for the heads-up.

oh! haha! :D 

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    edited January 2021

I think it might be cool to have a monthly totals thread too.

Do you mean monthly distance totals?  I'd be up for that.  How about incorporating that into this thread?
    I opened my account for 2021 on Saturday, with an 8k.  As reported in last years thread, I suffered a knee injury - probably ITBS - basically from running too hard.  So at the moment, all my runs are at easy pace, and my weekly distance goal is 20k - this is while I develop some confidence that the injury isn't going to recur.  As a result of the injury and subsequent internet research, I'm being careful about warm-up, post run stretches, and I'm also trying to do some regular strength and conditioning exercises.

I'm a bit of a recording and measuring geek and was using Strava for recording my runs.  However I was finding it to be occasionally unreliable, so took recommendations on a GPS watch from folks here.  In December I got myself a 2nd hand Garmin Forerunner 235.  This has opened a slight can of worms on the subject of heart rate.  I'm finding on my easy paced runs (which feel easy to me) the Garmin is recording quite high heart rates - into the 160s and once into the 170s.  I'm 52, and the Internet wisdom suggests that this sort of heart rate would be unusually high.  I understand that wrist-worn heart rate monitors can be inaccurate, but I think it would need to be way out to produce these values erroneously.  So I'm keeping an eye on that.  One thing I have realised is that my hydration has been generally poor in recent years, and this affects heart rate, so for the last couple of days I've been drinking quite a bit of water.  I'll be running tomorrow and will be interested to see if there is any discernable difference.
    BahHumbug said:
    I opened my account for 2021 on Saturday, with an 8k.  As reported in last years thread, I suffered a knee injury - probably ITBS - basically from running too hard.  So at the moment, all my runs are at easy pace, and my weekly distance goal is 20k - this is while I develop some confidence that the injury isn't going to recur.  As a result of the injury and subsequent internet research, I'm being careful about warm-up, post run stretches, and I'm also trying to do some regular strength and conditioning exercises.

I'm a bit of a recording and measuring geek and was using Strava for recording my runs.  However I was finding it to be occasionally unreliable, so took recommendations on a GPS watch from folks here.  In December I got myself a 2nd hand Garmin Forerunner 235.  This has opened a slight can of worms on the subject of heart rate.  I'm finding on my easy paced runs (which feel easy to me) the Garmin is recording quite high heart rates - into the 160s and once into the 170s.  I'm 52, and the Internet wisdom suggests that this sort of heart rate would be unusually high.  I understand that wrist-worn heart rate monitors can be inaccurate, but I think it would need to be way out to produce these values erroneously.  So I'm keeping an eye on that.  One thing I have realised is that my hydration has been generally poor in recent years, and this affects heart rate, so for the last couple of days I've been drinking quite a bit of water.  I'll be running tomorrow and will be interested to see if there is any discernable difference.
    The wrist-heart rates on any device need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Get ye a HRM chest strap which will link to your Forerunner for better results. 

Even chest straps have been iffy in the first couple of minutes for me, and yes after applying liberal amounts of spit to the contact points! :)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I've got a Garmin vivoactive which I use with and without chest-strap. Wrist based heart rate is really unreliable - sometimes seems to be about right, but most of the time seems too low
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Goals wise - I mostly run when I can't get out on my bike - guess I'd be happy with a couple of 5k's mid week with a longer weekend run, if bike not possible.

My daughter's home from London lockdown'ing with us - it's good fun going out finding new trails with her - there's a wee bit more running potential here than there is in Peckham!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Having shifted a load of timber, starting enjoying the gym then being promptly robbed of that by covid, I've started running too. Never thought I'd see the day!

I'm doing Couch to 5k which is pretty good so far.
    Thanks for the comments on heart rate monitoring folks.  I’ll see if I can get a chest-strap jobbie.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Got my first run of 2021 in yesterday. 7.2 miles in 60 mins. That’s a bit too quick - I need to reign myself in and take it steady.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 943
    Even with a chest strap I think heart rate is temperature dependant.

I noticed recently that my heart rate was going up for the same run. 

Google wisdom tells me that when it's cold your veins contract to preserve heat. This means that the heart has to work harder so the bpm increases... 

No idea if it's true but sounds plausible. 
    Went for first run of the year today - had to stick to boring route because of ice. A flat 5k in just over 27 mins. I'd like to get under 25 mins for that sort of route, so might do some interval training over next few weeks.
    Second 5km of the year today in a shade over 30 mins, which considering my PB is 22:47, feels like I’ve just started running for the first time! 

It was a slog. I planned on doing another mile but as soon as it ticked over 3.1 miles, I stopped as I was so knackered. 

Just got to keep telling myself that I need to take it easy now as hopefully it’ll mean I stay injury free and my short runs can increase to 5 or 6 miles and I can do some longer runs of 10-15 miles once the weather picks up in the spring/summer to get me on track for 1000 miles for the year 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    I’ve tried my first run of the year tonight, aimed for 10km but felt my calf tighten about 8km so called it a night there. Hopefully nothing serious so will try again in a few days.