Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So ... who else is going to learn a new instrument this year?

What's Hot
This week I chanced upon a couple of bands I hadn't heard before, and my head has really been turned by the Mandolin. I thought what the hell just buy one and give it a go!

I haven't bought one yet, but I'm actively looking.

Anyone else up for a new instrument challenge?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've bought a Jsax - that's a beginner plastic sax.  It will help me develop my embouchure before I lay out loads of money on the real thing.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    I’m trying to learn to play in Open G, so it might as well be a new instrument - all the notes are in the wrong place!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    learning piano, though technically I bought it a couple of weeks before xmas, but still. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    axisus said:
    This week I chanced upon a couple of bands I hadn't heard before, and my head has really been turned by the Mandolin. I thought what the hell just buy one and give it a go!

I haven't bought one yet, but I'm actively looking.

Anyone else up for a new instrument challenge?

I resolve to do this every year, then wise up and decide I should perhaps learn to play the guitar properly.

Mandolin is a good choice though, I actually learned the Mandolin before I got a guitar and it's good fun but even harder on the finger ends... 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    im still trying to learn guitar
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    phil_b said:
    im still trying to learn guitar

Me too.  The E minor chord is proving to be a bit of a challenge......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Piano too. Well, it’s not new as I had lessons up to garde 2 at 11 years old. So it’s relearning. With the keyboard my children got for xmas. Knowledge of notes and chords learnt via the guitar is helping. Also with the Udemy lessons, I’m learning to read music notation. To think I could sight read and play Mozart at 11, and I let all that go, big regret, but I had no patience for the practice at the time. Perhaps if it wasn’t all classical music that was taught, I may have had more enthusiasm.
  • bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 420
    edited January 2021
    mrkb said:
    I’m trying to learn to play in Open G, so it might as well be a new instrument - all the notes are in the wrong place!
    Next try Open Gsus, worth the effort just for The Rain Song I reckon. For some reason I always seem to get best feedback from non-guitarists when I play in alternate tunings. Dunno why.
  • Piano too. Well, I actually started last June. Passed grade 2 in November, so this year's goal is grade 3.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 727
    mrkb said:
    Try and find 'Special Rider' by Skip James. Really lovely bit of Blues by Skip James in open G and not hugely difficult. It's on musicnoteslib.com.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2021
    Not, but I'm cracking on with my M.Mus. in composition, so I am learning to compose for a whole load of new instruments, even though I'm not really playing them.

I'm thankful for the Spitfire orchestral libraries- they are absolutely fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    Ive set up my piano in the music room. Again. Maybe i'll progress a bit more than last time.
  • Guitar is my new instrument! Having been a professional musician (percussionist) for 20 years I’m loving the challenge of a new instrument! Started with an acoustic last year and got myself a Tele for Christmas which I love!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    I've started piano again. I tried years ago and failed and it's an ideal way to spend my furlough time.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    I've just picked up an e drum kit and starting to learn drums.  Partly to help improve my sense of timing in general, which I hope will transfer to the guitar as well.  Enjoying it so far.  
  • Working on my drum chops, and have gone back to singing too.

Bye!

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3611
    Gone the other way; sold my mandolins last year and trying to focus on guitar. 
  • I spent the second half of last year learning the Hammond organ. I never learned the piano when I was younger but I have had synths and midi keyboards around the house for the past 20 years (and played synths live a couple of times) so I though it was time to learn properly. So I will keep doing that in 2021.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Not really a new instrument, but I am going to put serious effort into getting better on the drums. I think I am done with the guitar for now - with no band, no gigs so there is no fun to be had :) so I'd like to come out of the Covid years with some serious drumming chops. 

I suspect I will fail entirely with this objective, but I will at least try!!
  • Yet another one having a second go at learning piano. I bought it last year expecting to be furloughed but wound up busier than ever. I got to a certain place and then stopped for some reason.

I've started again, with a new year's resolution to play something every day. Managed it so far, and I've already got further than I did last time.

I also quite fancy having another pop at the clarinet. I took lessons in that 40 years ago, and again started to get quite far, but work got way too busy and it slowly slipped away. I did enjoy playing it, though, and I'd love to get good at it.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.