Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• 6.3k today with 28:50 5k time. I managed to get 27 something (but foolishly didnt write it down so cant remember what it was)  at some point last year so hopefully beat that this year. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    I did a 10k this morning. Only the second time I've ever done that. Last time was about 3 years ago. 

Only started running again in September and the most I'd done up until today was 8k so very happy with my distance increase. 

Time was pretty slow at 1 hour 11 but I'm working on endurance not speed. 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Nice one @relic245. Well done :)
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Went out for my 5th "run" of the year today (i.e. I walk most of it and actually run for about 5 mins). I used to run a lot more but got an injury a few years ago and lost my routine. So I am starting from scratch again. Hoping to get up to 5k in about 30 mins some time this year, but planning on building up slowly.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    markv said:
    Went out for my 5th "run" of the year today (i.e. I walk most of it and actually run for about 5 mins). I used to run a lot more but got an injury a few years ago and lost my routine. So I am starting from scratch again. Hoping to get up to 5k in about 30 mins some time this year, but planning on building up slowly.
    Sounds like a pretty sensible approach, get your body back into it slowly.

That's also my target time for 5k.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    3rd run of the year (finally!) today. Keeping it slowly, slowly with another 5km. 

Aiming to get between 40-50 miles this month then step up the mileage a bit more in feb if the body allows. 
  • wife fractured her toe on friday so ive  had hands full with work and kids and havent been able to fit any more runs in. Will need to do some serious catching up once shes a bit more mobile. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Another 4 miles today with a socially distanced partner from the local running club. 

Flagged towards the end but felt ok overall. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Started getting a bit of pain in my right knee on Tuesday... Foolishly I carried on running through the pain and it was really quite sore afterwards.

From a bit of googling it sounds like standard runner's knee, but only in one... Is this normal? Or is my fledgling running career over?
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Distance is going well for me. I'm consistently doing 25-30 miles per week, just taking it slow.

Yesterday was "fun". It started hailing, which with the 15-20mph wind was pretty painful for my face. It got to the point where even my legs were feeling the stings, but at least I had a nice sense of achievement at the end. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    I did 10km Monday and 10km last night. I’m not great in the cold but happy to be getting the kilometres in.
    Distance is going well for me. I'm consistently doing 25-30 miles per week, just taking it slow.

Yesterday was "fun". It started hailing, which with the 15-20mph wind was pretty painful for my face. It got to the point where even my legs were feeling the stings, but at least I had a nice sense of achievement at the end. :)
    This is where I'm hoping to be by about spring. Currently targeting 40 miles for Jan and 50 miles for Feb, increasing up to 100 miles a month by the summer and peaking at 120 around sept. 

Went on my first ever trail run this morning with my new sexy Scott GTX shoes. It was hilly, I got lost, I stacked it on the ONLY bit of icy tarmac on the route but it was great. Really muddy and properly went all in. Wasn't fast, but got 4.65 miles covered. Only covered 12 miles this week - hopefully 16 by Sunday - but still on track for my monthly target (I have a spreadsheet which works it all out for me month by month :))

Hopefully I won't feel too sore after falling over earlier so I can get my final run of the week in on Sunday. 

Hoping to increase my short runs to 5 or 6 miles by the spring and getting a longer weekend run in once the clocks go forward so I can get out early in the morning when it's a bit easier to get out of bed :D 

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Bidley said:
    Started getting a bit of pain in my right knee on Tuesday... Foolishly I carried on running through the pain and it was really quite sore afterwards.

From a bit of googling it sounds like standard runner's knee, but only in one... Is this normal? Or is my fledgling running career over?
    We are more asymmetrical than you might think, so having a knee problem in one knee only isn’t unusual.  It will probably be ok if you do the right things.  For starters don’t run through the pain, I made that mistake last October and had a problem that really limited my running for three months.
    i found James Dunne on YouTube really useful for rehab and strengthening exercises.  If you do a search on YT for James dunne runners knee there are quite a few vids that hopefully will help.
  • Some impressive numbers guys, inspiring.
    I'm relatively fit, usually, but work and lockdown have killed that a bit. I was getting into triathlons, not seriously, but just as a way of rounding out my fitness and keeping it varied. Cycling is my main event, running I don't really enjoy, and swimming is great but I'm poor at it.

So, running just now is the only one I can do easily. I hate it. But I set myself a target of 20 miles in January. I'm up to 23 now as I discovered I'm not as unfit as I thought. My triathlon club post some coaching sessions, and there are virtual race events which I'm happy to join in. I surprised myself in doing 5 miles without stopping, not particularly fast but I was happy with the time of 46:30.

My goal is to cover 40 miles in February, and to get my pace up. 5km in 20:00 is my target, and 8km in 35:00.

But, no rush. For me, I have to start small with running because I very easily remind myself how dull I find it and how uncomfortable it is. I think I need to do trail running to make it more interesting. Any other tips?
  • robbs1977robbs1977 Frets: 123
    Some fast guys out there.
    I decided to download the couch to 5k last year in lockdown and managed my first 5k. In September i managed to do 100k which i was really please with. Since March i have also lost 4.5 stone so its getting a bit easier but my PB for 5K is still 34 minutes. Maybe when i lose another couple of stone i can get to 30 minutes.
    Some impressive numbers guys, inspiring.
    I'm relatively fit, usually, but work and lockdown have killed that a bit. I was getting into triathlons, not seriously, but just as a way of rounding out my fitness and keeping it varied. Cycling is my main event, running I don't really enjoy, and swimming is great but I'm poor at it.

So, running just now is the only one I can do easily. I hate it. But I set myself a target of 20 miles in January. I'm up to 23 now as I discovered I'm not as unfit as I thought. My triathlon club post some coaching sessions, and there are virtual race events which I'm happy to join in. I surprised myself in doing 5 miles without stopping, not particularly fast but I was happy with the time of 46:30.

My goal is to cover 40 miles in February, and to get my pace up. 5km in 20:00 is my target, and 8km in 35:00.

But, no rush. For me, I have to start small with running because I very easily remind myself how dull I find it and how uncomfortable it is. I think I need to do trail running to make it more interesting. Any other tips?
    Having been totally against trail running and all the faff that entails (just getting *that* muddy, especially this time of year) - I'm completely converted after one run. you have much more to concentrate on so I didn't look at my watch once to check my distance (that might have been because I was also consulting my phone to try and work out how the fuck to get out of the field I'd found myself in without running back up the really big hill :D) - so the miles just tick away. Different terrains make it more interesting and unsurprisingly, a blast with the hose when I got back got the shoes looking like new (thanks Gore-tex). 

I used to dislike running but learned to love it (and also learned to love it without any music to accompany me, which was the only thing that got me through before) when Ironman training and I now find myself never wanting to touch my bike ever again. I now take my headphones with me again, and I'm enjoying it. 

if I can somehow condition my body into not aching like an old man after every run, I will hopefully ramp up to 4 or 5 runs a week this year. 

But yes, trail running will help, no doubt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joneve said:

Having been totally against trail running and all the faff that entails (just getting *that* muddy, especially this time of year) - I'm completely converted after one run. you have much more to concentrate on so I didn't look at my watch once to check my distance (that might have been because I was also consulting my phone to try and work out how the fuck to get out of the field I'd found myself in without running back up the really big hill :D) - so the miles just tick away. Different terrains make it more interesting and unsurprisingly, a blast with the hose when I got back got the shoes looking like new (thanks Gore-tex). 

I used to dislike running but learned to love it (and also learned to love it without any music to accompany me, which was the only thing that got me through before) when Ironman training and I now find myself never wanting to touch my bike ever again. I now take my headphones with me again, and I'm enjoying it. 

if I can somehow condition my body into not aching like an old man after every run, I will hopefully ramp up to 4 or 5 runs a week this year. 

Wicked. I'm not blessed with many trails here, or hills in The Fens, but I'll find something I'm sure.
    Aside from the trails, is there anything else that made you start to love running?
    joneve said:

Wicked. I'm not blessed with many trails here, or hills in The Fens, but I'll find something I'm sure.
    Aside from the trails, is there anything else that made you start to love running?
    Nope, just doing it regularly and eventually seeing some really good progress. I like to challenge myself and am very competitive with myself so I'd often go out aiming for a 5km pb or a 10km pb or a sub 50 minute 10km. and when I didn't get it, it would annoy me and I'd be motivated to go out the next time and try again. 

Hence why I've set myself the lofty target of 1000 miles this year. It'll be hard, but it's motivated me to get back out again, after nearly 6 months off. And where I was using "my lower back aches" as an excuse, I'm finding myself running through it (it's fine when I'm running mostly), as I think it's mostly "not-running-for-ages" pains. 
  • 45, 13 stone, 6'1.....  I've owned a treadmill for a few years now, sporadically used it when unable to play football; but when lock down 2 kicked in late 2020 I vowed to to use it more regularly.

I used to walk 2km a day to work so I've lost that exercise too.

Working from home has it's benefits but it has certainly allowed my hamstrings to tighten, so much so that I still have a mild strain when stretching my right leg up, my biggest crime is not warming up sufficiently.

Looking in here there are some real pace setters but I have a more realistic personal target of 5km in 30 mins..  currently I'm pacing an average 9km/h and reaching distances of 3-4km before stopping; so a bit of work to go yet. I mix up pace v distance occasionally in response to my legs.

I'm seeing this as a cardio work out to combat my sedentary lifestyle and hopefully lose a few pounds in the process; but I'll be proud of myself if I hit my target.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Bidley said:

I got this about a year after I started - just the one knee. It came on quite suddenly during a run and I had to walk home, very gingerly. Tried again a week later and it was just as bad.

I got a referral to a physio and he told me I wasn't stretching enough or properly (not a surprise, I knew nothing). He gave me some stretching exercises and recommended icing my knee after a run (the old bag of frozen peas to the rescue again). So far so good, but I'm always a bit nervous when I get twinges in my knees now!