Klopp’s Topp Flopps

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
It’s all rather ebbing away for the reds. 

Do you think they’ll make top 4 in the end?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    My friend, who is an Everton fan is loving every moment.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I've nothing against Liverpool, but I was desperately hoping Burnley would hold on to that lead at the end there.  Well done them.

It is a fascinating season.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited January 2021
    rze99 said:
    It’s all rather ebbing away for the reds. 

Do you think they’ll make top 4 in the end?  

I'm pretty sure they will make top 4, in fact I think they will still be fairly close to 1st but City will win it comfortably.

It's a their first real blip in 2 and a half seasons, every team has them at some point, City had theirs from start of season until December (by their standards), Spurs usually have theirs just when they look like the won't have one. 

They will get players back from injury, win a few games in a row and put in the expected performance to get them around the expected top 2 or 3 come season's end. 

Everyone has still pretty much got a game against each other left, so lots of "6 pointers" to come. Two fit centre backs, and Henderson back in the middle will change a lot for them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    27 shots last night is not the sign of a poor side - But they are not currently firing on all cylinders, for whatever reason - Burnley did a great defensive job with a secure and determined back 4 + keeper - When the MOM was between the CB and K that reflects the Burnley game plan and the offensive effort of LFC

But the last 1/3 of the pitch and LFC have lost the edge for now and some 'flair' - The table shows the top 4-8 have all compressed - This reflects marginal gains, based on a year to date performance, by all the other clubs, plus what is so far a decline in points/wins by LFC and MCFC - But MCFC do appear now to be getting their act back together, both regarding recently acquired points coupled with domination on the pitch 

I think the title will now go to MCFC but probably barely hit 90 points - Then I'll go LFC, MUFC for 2nd/3rd (not sure which order) and then a fight between Spurs and Leicester for 4th 

Salah certainly looks a touch below par - Is this partly due to contract talks ?

A fit again Jota would certainly add some flair as an option to start or come on with 30/40 mins to go 

Crossing was poor last night by LFC - But they do appear to be looking for that 'perfect' goal that is achieved by quick one/two's thru the defence in the box, or a brilliant Ricky Villa style dribble - Take the 1/2 chance and/or chance your arm from 20 yards - Shaqiri chanced his arm a couple of times, but they can't keep lobbing in poor balls into the box attached to hope

Before kick off last night I thought today will be the day not to play LFC as sooner or later they will strike back 

Best news is that as of today the table is compressed and makes so many more games meaningful and we have not had that for  along while
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I think that Liverpool are one of the teams that play better with their fans present. I also think that one great season doesn't mean the next will be the same. Most teams have a lull after a good season or two these days. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    Liverpool will be fine, and this is coming from a Man U fan, but they will be right up there.  They have world class players and they can’t all be shit all season.  They are doing all the things right like keeping the ball, passing, sometimes the final ball is just missing for whatever reason.  

Still think Man City is the favourites because with Aguero out all this time they are only 2pts behind with a game in hand.

I don’t think Leicester has the depth personally to last the season this time round, if you take away Vardy they are missing a big threat, he creates and scores a lot of their goals and integral to the system that they play.

Man U...hmm, I’d love to see them win but like forms, they come and go, I really don’t think this current good form can last all season.  They also don’t play in a way like City does, or even Leicester.  
    What was it 4 or 5 games ago they scored with almost every shot to put 7 past Palace, and now they're in crisis?

It's just football, the reason the league is tight because City and Liverpool have dropped points (compared to the last 2 seasons) I predict City will probably only lose one more game this season now. 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    So how many points are Liverpool behind MUFC now Jurgen?

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    This is a really interesting (and slightly dark) article about Liverpool (but really about football) and why LFC won't win the league this year.

Well worth a read http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:
    This is a really interesting (and slightly dark) article about Liverpool (but really about football) and why LFC won't win the league this year.

Well worth a read http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/
    disagree with that article on 2 parts - They are not struggling to play - To have over 50% possession - To command the show - To create chances - 87 shots in the last 4 games does not reflect a 'tired' side - But they are not firing - Creating as many of those clear cut chances - And only a few games okay they destroyed C Palace with 7 goals - I don't see 'energy' as the issue - Might even be some bad luck - But I think they are 'faffing' around to much in the box at times and/or on the edge of the box

Also disagree about Molby and Le Tissier - Talent still has its place - You don't need to be fast - Modric isn't, Zidane wasn't, Hoddle wasn't and Del Piero could run the game from behind the ball - But would agree that a) such talent is not ready available and b) you do need players around them to do the hard core of the graft
    underdog said:

disagree with that article on 2 parts - They are not struggling to play - To have over 50% possession - To command the show - To create chances - 87 shots in the last 4 games does not reflect a 'tired' side - But they are not firing - Creating as many of those clear cut chances - And only a few games okay they destroyed C Palace with 7 goals - I don't see 'energy' as the issue - Might even be some bad luck - But I think they are 'faffing' around to much in the box at times and/or on the edge of the box

Also disagree about Molby and Le Tissier - Talent still has its place - You don't need to be fast - Modric isn't, Zidane wasn't, Hoddle wasn't and Del Piero could run the game from behind the ball - But would agree that a) such talent is not ready available and b) you do need players around them to do the hard core of the graft

I think more as a general factor in any top level sport, being 98% rather than 100% can be the difference between first and 5th. 

That's where football has reached now in the last ten years, where the fine margins are what makes the difference every game.

Look at Trent, his game is nowhere near the 2 previous years, same can be said for a couple of others.

These little differences all added up are huge. 

Someone mentioned on here they don't buy Liverpool being a makeshift squad because 8 of the starting 11 were regular starters, ignoring that 3 of them were playing in different positions, and as a result most of the team were playing different to role to normal.

There is a lot going on at the same time at Liverpool including bad luck, form, injuries but as a Liverpool fan I'd definitely say for me, the most obvious thing is tiredness. Every game, even when winning, the closing down was slower, the balls forward were slower, less full throttle counter attacks. Even the shots look more laboured.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    underdog said:

Someone mentioned on here they don't buy Liverpool being a makeshift squad because 8 of the starting 11 were regular starters, ignoring that 3 of them were playing in different positions, and as a result most of the team were playing different to role to normal.

There is a lot going on at the same time at Liverpool including bad luck, form, injuries but as a Liverpool fan I'd definitely say for me, the most obvious thing is tiredness. Every game, even when winning, the closing down was slower, the balls forward were slower, less full throttle counter attacks. Even the shots look more laboured.

It was me.

Just to clarify, now Matip is back, they have two players injured. That's two. Both happen to be centre-backs.

Two injuries is nothing. Under Van Gaal at one point, United had 13 regular first-team players injured - now that was what you call a makeshift team. 

Injuries happen in football. Liverpool's squad was light anyway - letting Lovran go without replacing him was stupid and has com back to haunt them. If you have two injured centre-backs and need to play midfielders there as a result, you've got to question what sort of squad you have. 

Bad luck? Really?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:
    underdog said:

I think more as a general factor in any top level sport, being 98% rather than 100% can be the difference between first and 5th. 

That's where football has reached now in the last ten years, where the fine margins are what makes the difference every game.

Look at Trent, his game is nowhere near the 2 previous years, same can be said for a couple of others.

These little differences all added up are huge. 

Agree about marginal gains and certainly in many individual sports that 98% and 100% can be a big difference - Be it some form of long distance or sprint - But football is slightly different in that a) skill is not always about pace and b) individuals still function with in a team - I bet many times, no matter who the team is, that do all 10 outfield players always perform 100% all the time ? - Mental, pride, hunger, determination come into play

Add to that the opposition knowing how to combat your strengths - Agree AA is not on fire most of this year - Was it 30 odd bad passes the other game - But add to that it has always been a hard job to retain the PL - Maybe even the fact that they can't 'unwind' out of a 'covid bubble' is having an impact for them - Not trying to feel sorry for any hugely highly paid athlete, especially when you look at what the NHS staff have to cope with each day, but it is probably having some 'fatigue factor'

Jota did look a breath of fresh air when he arrived with flair and some individuality but that has gone for now - The midfield for Klopp has been about control and pressing with high energy - Not a 'flair' Hoddle/Zidane style - That is fine and it has worked - But sometimes, like last night, you feel someone like Fernandes is required to conduct the play either on the edge of the box and/or going in the box from an attacking midfield role - It can't all be about the 3 strikers

Look at England last year in the RU final - in many ways the semi against NZ was their final - They out classed NZ in the semi's but barely had a toe in the door for the final - Pressure, mental fatigue and expectations hurt them 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    When  I read the thread title I thought it was going to be a video of some German woman called Klopps hooking her thrupenny-bits out.

#disappointed

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    Hattigol said:
    underdog said:

It was me.

Just to clarify, now Matip is back, they have two players injured. That's two. Both happen to be centre-backs.

Two injuries is nothing. Under Van Gaal at one point, United had 13 regular first-team players injured - now that was what you call a makeshift team. 

Injuries happen in football. Liverpool's squad was light anyway - letting Lovran go without replacing him was stupid and has com back to haunt them. If you have two injured centre-backs and need to play midfielders there as a result, you've got to question what sort of squad you have. 

Bad luck? Really?

Have you seen the injury list for this season they had? I'm not saying poor Liverpool it's not their fault, just stating that it effects the whole team. Tiago has played 2 games, Matip has played 1, so he's not even match fit, Matip only played as Henderson was injured yesterday. 

Not going to argue, if that's your view, enjoy it, but if you want to say a season ending injury to your star CB, and a long term injury to you new star midfield player, in the same game, isn't bad luck then not sure what it was.

underdog said:
    Hattigol said:
    underdog said:

It was me.

Bad luck? Really?

Have you seen the injury list for this season they had? I'm not saying poor Liverpool it's not their fault, just stating that it effects the whole team. Tiago has played 2 games, Matip has played 1, so he's not even match fit, Matip only played as Henderson was injured yesterday. 

Not going to argue, if that's your view, enjoy it, but if you want to say a season ending injury to your star CB, and a long term injury to you new star midfield player, in the same game, isn't bad luck then not sure what it was.

You mentioned injuries and then bad luck. I hadn't realised that by bad luck, you were actually just referring to the injuries. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:
    Hattigol said:
    underdog said:

It was me.

Bad luck? Really?

did not know Jota was a CB - Unless they mean Gomez and Van Dijk - Which makes 3

@underdog - any truth in LFC showing interest in Haaland ? - What a move that would be - Hear the feud is still going between the Keane family and the Haaland family 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Does nobody think City will be affected by KDB being out for potentially 4-6 weeks?  He provides far more assists than any other City player.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goal_assist

That’s a lot of creativity missing for some big games.  Even City will feel the absence of probably the leagues best midfielder.
    tFB Trader

Does nobody think City will be affected by KDB being out for potentially 4-6 weeks?  He provides far more assists than any other City player.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goal_assist

That’s a lot of creativity missing for some big games.  Even City will feel the absence of probably the leagues best midfielder.
    Yes, feel Leicester will be hit more by Vardy missing - they have far less talent available to them as back up

Foden playing well and the best I've seen him play so far - Rodri, Gundogan and Cancelo all playing well - Certainly the best I've seen them this year and playing with that faux #9 role - Don't think you can actually replace KDB as a player, but the team can still function with flair and its purpose - Probably time for the likes of Silva to step up a touch

First 2/3 games are not to bad, you hope - But 7/13/21 in Feb look tasty fixtures 
    underdog said:
    Hattigol said:
    underdog said:

It was me.

Bad luck? Really?

did not know Jota was a CB - Unless they mean Gomez and Van Dijk - Which makes 3

@underdog - any truth in LFC showing interest in Haaland ? - What a move that would be - Hear the feud is still going between the Keane family and the Haaland family 
    I was talking about how many players they had missing from their first team of last season.

Don't think Jota was with them then.