Not so Schiit Audio - Loki Tone Control

DuncManDuncMan Frets: 14
edited February 2021 in Gear Reviews
Not sure how useful this will be to folks here but this piece of kit is worth looking at. 

The "Schiit Audio Loki" is a fairly simple 4 channel tone control/equaliser but it does deliver. Of course you can do much more with software but if, like me, you like sitting besides your rig and just tweaking things slightly to your taste, this will help. I use it for my minimal speaker rig besides my armchair. Head-fi members swear by it for their headphone rigs. Some recordings are just rubbish and need a little help. The Loki provides/affords that help. Need a tad more bass on the fly? The Loki provides. It's a simple bit of kit but nicely made and it works. Am really looking forward to seeing what my Genelecs think of it tomorrow. My desktop listening rig will be an Arcam Alpha 73s > HeadRoom Ultra Micro DAC via Co-Ax > Schiit Loki > HeadRoom Ultra Micro Amp > Genelec 8010As/Bose Music Monitors/Grado SR80i Woodies. Will post again to note how the Genelecs do with a little colouration.  PS. In my system there is zero noise from the Loki.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AornicAornic Frets: 474
    Cool to see Schiit turn up here. I've used a Yggdrasil since 2017 now.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Love a good Schiit. I use the Schiit Mani as my turntable Pre Amp.  It’s spectacular! 
    It’s incredibly detailed and nuanced, had lovely wide soundscape, and squeezes every lady drop put of a good MM cartridge.  I use it with a Nagoaka MP500. 

I’ve tried dozens of other turntable Pre amps, some costing ten times as much, and nothing else has got close for pulling out the detail, and presenting it accurately. 

It’s quality gear!
  • DuncManDuncMan Frets: 14
    edited February 2021
    TheMarlin said:
    Love a good Schiit. I use the Schiit Mani as my turntable Pre Amp.  It’s spectacular! 
    It’s incredibly detailed and nuanced, had lovely wide soundscape, and squeezes every lady drop put of a good MM cartridge.  I use it with a Nagoaka MP500. 

I’ve tried dozens of other turntable Pre amps, some costing ten times as much, and nothing else has got close for pulling out the detail, and presenting it accurately. 

It’s quality gear!
    This is the first Schiit product I've tried but I'm impressed with it, for sure. The only problem with Schiit at the moment is they're having problems sourcing parts so a lot of their kit is back ordered. The Loki was a nightmare to source but luckily for me one popped up on eBay.
  • The 8010As are now in situ, hooked up and playing tunes. All I can say is "WOW!". Bringing the Loki into place, for me, turns these from accurate, analytical monitor speakers to something a tad more musical and fun. For a speaker of this size the sound quality is stunning. And for those who's ears tell them the Genelecs are bit "muddy" in the mids, try them with a Loki. 
  • One thing listening to the 8010s has shown me is how good my Bose Music Monitors were. They're now sold unfortunately but whilst the Genelecs trump them in every department the Bose's were a third the size and 40% of the price when new. If I was travelling a lot and listening in hotel rooms I'd choose the Bose MMs. They'll do a job and a pleasant one at that. 
  • Here's the Loki sitting in my little casual listening rig.