Arranger piano question

What's Hot
AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
edited January 2021 in Other Instruments
I plan to buy an arranger piano this year. Main issues are:
  •  it should look good as a piece of furniture,
  •  as a piano, it should play well and sound good,
  •  as an arranger piano it should have a good set of functionality and sound options, and be easy to use.
Three that fit the bill are Thomann DP-95B, Casio AP-650 and Yamaha CVP-701. Just looking at specifications they seem very similar - but the price points are €539, €1,135 and €2,519. 

Can anyone comment on these products?

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Nord keyboards. I bought a Stage 3 for similar use. Great pianos plus plus plus. Looked at Clavinovas and so on as I thought that's what I wanted.

Kawai are really good. Don't forget those. 

Used market is good for digital pianos; usual story of 'I'm gonna learn piano. No, I'm not'.

Finally, have you considered a real piano? 
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 135
    I've had my Clavinova for 20-odd years. It's still a wonderful piano used daily by me and now my kids. They do seem to depreciate massively so a used one seems a good idea.
  • jackio said:

Finally, have you considered a real piano? 
    No, I didn't. I want an instrument that can be played as a piano, but that also has arranger functionality. 
    JMS96 said:
    I've had my Clavinova for 20-odd years. It's still a wonderful piano used daily by me and now my kids. They do seem to depreciate massively so a used one seems a good idea.
    I've ordered a Clavinova, the CSP-170. From all reviews it looks, plays and sounds excellent - but also has great Smart Piano functionality (supported by iPad app).

In the meantine, my piano practice enthusiasm (on MIDI keyboard with Garage Band) is still going strong. 

Thanks for your ideas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Googles "arranger function". 

I think I misunderstood maybe :)
  • Arranger keyboards narrow your options....a lot.  Even more so for primarly piano, and that means 88 note weighted/hammer action.  thinks like the Yam Genos, or Korg PA series are decent arrangers, but there not 88 note nor weighted.

Nords dont look good as furniture either way.

Of the 3 you mention, the Yamy would be my priority despite the cost.   The Casios have a good reputation so Id definitely consider that, if the Yam is too much (I spend nearly £2k on my first piano in the for of a Roland RD2000 =- but its not an arranger).

Personally, Id either priorities Piano - and find something that does that well, with a compromise on the arranger bits (many have simple accompaniments rather than being fully arrangers) OR prioritise the arranger bit, and compromise on the keybed size/style.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I have a Yamaha CLP-685 Clavinova.
    It looks like furniture, rather than the Nord, which is excellent but looks like a synth.

I like the action of both- Yamaha is a bit heavier than most brands, usually.
  • @paulmapp8306 and @octatonic ;

Thanks for your advice. Since my original post I'd done some more research and have ordered a Yamaha CSP-170. Looks like a piano, but supports all the additional voices and arranger functionality through an ipad app. I think this delivers on the piano requirements, and the arranger capability - but it is f'ing expensive. Maybe that will encourage me to practice more.  :s
  • probably.   In my case it fuelled a keyboard addiction.  Picked up the RD2000 to learn "proper" piano on - something I decided to do as I turned 50.,.  

That is now 3 years ago - and not only am I reasonably competent now - I also have a Fantom 7, 3 synth modules, an organ module, a drum module and a hardware sequencer - and play i 2 projects as a keys player.   This after 30+ years as a guitarist primarily.