PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• January's winner has just been announced in the entries thread :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    Well done @Winny_Pooh, for an excellent pic and a deserved win. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Some great pics this month.  Excellent winner by @Winny_Pooh - that would look great on a large canvas in my living room!

Looking forward to Feb's comp, daylight is increasing a little so hopefully it will start to get a bit easier to get outside.
    I'm going to use my XT20 this month and take the picture for the comp rather than looking through the last years photos for one that fits the bill. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7734
    Cheers @Shrews @menamestom , hope the next one is fun.
  • Congratulations, @Winny_Pooh - liked that a lot.  Where was it taken?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7734
    Congratulations, @Winny_Pooh - liked that a lot.  Where was it taken?
    Cape Town, I'm presently here for an extended holiday following BA flight cancellations :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congratulations, @Winny_Pooh - liked that a lot.  Where was it taken?
    Cape Town, I'm presently here for an extended holiday following BA flight cancellations :)
    Looks like there are worse places to be stuck!  :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    edited January 2021
    Congratulations from me too @Winny_Pooh. That’s a cracker of a shot and a well deserved win.

Hopefully you are staying safe in SA.

Looking forward to seeing what subject you set for Feb.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited January 2021
    New thread is now up here 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Backlit is a very interesting theme, I'll have to have a think about this one!
    Maximum volume yields maximum results
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Well done @Winny_Pooh .. backlit will be a challenge.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited February 2021
    Removed. Wrong thread.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Fretwired said:
    This is interesting .. $6K camera versus iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Phone cameras are getting so good these days. We did a trip to Alaska with my in-laws a couple of years back. I lugged all my DLSR and lenses around, my bro-in-law just used his iPhone. You could see the camera shots had better IQ on a big screen but otherwise there wasn’t a huge difference. The phone only really struggled with snow shots, where the highlights sometimes got blown. 

I still prefer using a “proper” camera but it’s getting harder to justify carrying all the heavy gear. If I wasn’t so heavily invested in the Canon DSLR I’d consider switching to a lighter system like Sony or Fuji, but it’d cost me money I can’t really justify.  
  • boogieman said:
    Fretwired said:
    This is interesting .. $6K camera versus iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Phone cameras are getting so good these days. We did a trip to Alaska with my in-laws a couple of years back. I lugged all my DLSR and lenses around, my bro-in-law just used his iPhone. You could see the camera shots had better IQ on a big screen but otherwise there wasn’t a huge difference. The phone only really struggled with snow shots, where the highlights sometimes got blown. 

I still prefer using a “proper” camera but it’s getting harder to justify carrying all the heavy gear. If I wasn’t so heavily invested in the Canon DSLR I’d consider switching to a lighter system like Sony or Fuji, but it’d cost me money I can’t really justify.  

I like the whole process of taking a picture with a camera. Last year for money reasons I sold my mirrorless camera and bought a bridge camera - I'm thinking that even when money allows I might not bother changing; I like the simplicity of my setup now.

• I guessed all but 1 correctly.

Phones are very very good when you're in good conditions with lots of light. That, for most people, is more than enough. But they're still hideous compared with a decent camera & lens and low light, or when you want a specific effect. And portrait mode is hilarious in almost all circumstances
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    I guessed all but 1 correctly.

Phones are very very good when you're in good conditions with lots of light. That, for most people, is more than enough. But they're still hideous compared with a decent camera & lens and low light, or when you want a specific effect. And portrait mode is hilarious in almost all circumstances
    Portrait mode actually works ok against a darkish background, as shown in the video with the guy standing in front of the bridge or flyover/whatever, the artificiality of the blur doesn’t show as much. It can look quite weird and very obviously digital otherwise. I agree that a decent camera/lens set up works better for bokeh shots.  And you’re spot on regarding low light..most phones simply can’t cope. Even my 11 pro max goes into a noisy pixelated meltdown. 

It’s like the old adage though... the best camera is the one you’ve got with you. 
    edited February 2021
    Removed.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Interesting comparisons of mobiles and cameras but shouldn't this all be in the general photography thread, not in the competition comments thread?
    edited February 2021
    Jimbro66 said:
    Interesting comparisons of mobiles and cameras but shouldn't this all be in the general photography thread, not in the competition comments thread?

Apologies. I didn't know there was one. I'll remove it.

• @Lebarque ;

I couldn't see any Flooded Thames image (completely absent on the phone and computer) hence I thought it was the "white swan in the snow" joke.

Perhaps my systems are not connecting properly - though all the other images are fine...