The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    edited February 2021
    Do Alpine even have an official reserve driver if he isn't fit for the start? 

They have a good bit of a history with Hulkenberg, so I bet he's gonna be sat anxiously by his phone for the next few weeks, waiting for a call...
    Sirotkin, I believe.  Although I’m sure just about every team has got Hulkenberg on speed dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Alpine won't have to listen to him chopsing off about how bad their car is.

Every cloud, eh?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Red Bull have confirmed they’ll be building their own rebadged Honda engines next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56068724
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And more importantly, Mclaren are launching their car today, which doesn't feature a Honda engine :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    And more importantly, Mclaren are launching their car today, which doesn't feature a Honda engine :D 
    I’d really love to see McLaren take a step again this year. They’ve been heading back towards being a racing team and away from being a business first and that really suits them. 
  • On the RB engine point, it’s great news and shows decent balls. Taking on a huge new project that you know is incredibly difficult and will cost bajillions, even with development freezes and cost caps. 

I’m not a big fan of the team but that takes serious guts

• dazzajl said:
    And more importantly, Mclaren are launching their car today, which doesn't feature a Honda engine :D 
    I’d really love to see McLaren take a step again this year. They’ve been heading back towards being a racing team and away from being a business first and that really suits them. 
    Yep. Zak has done a spectacular job of turning them from backmarkers to front runners in just a couple of years, and Seidl was an utterly inspired hire. 

I really hope to see DannyRic pushing for wins next year. I can’t see it happening this year, but you never know.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    Come on guys! Surely the big news is the Rich Energy mumbling about one of their mates buying a majority share in a current F1 team.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still gunning for a spot of free publicity.

Has anyone actually seen Rich Energy drinks for sale anywhere yet?
  • Brio said:
    Come on guys! Surely the big news is the Rich Energy mumbling about one of their mates buying a majority share in a current F1 team.  
    Hilarious. The only 3 who might consider it would be Williams, Sauber and Haas. 

Williams just got bought so that’s a no, Haas is never going to happen, and Sauber don’t need it as far as I can tell. 

What a bunch of dicks
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Surely the engine freeze just helps Merc?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    prowla said:
    Yes and no. The other teams using the Merc PU can now spend all their money on aero and try to close the gap.

The ones using other engines are the ones with the problem.
    prowla said:
    Yup.  And - unless they pull something magnificent out of the bag in the next 12 months - totally screws Ferrari and their customers.  Fuck knows why Binotto agreed to it.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    prowla said:
    If this particular engine freeze actually stops development going on, it’ll be the first one that has. I seem to recall the last one allowed changes to increase reliability. Engines appeared to get more powerful, if not actually more reliable 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1358
    dazzajl said:
    prowla said:
    If this particular engine freeze actually stops development going on, it’ll be the first one that has. I seem to recall the last one allowed changes to increase reliability. Engines appeared to get more powerful, if not actually more reliable 
    I know someone that works at merc engine development, their problems have not been around making power but about making that power reliable...
    The teams are unveiling their 2021 challengers.  I find myself getting all old and grumpy, saying things like “They all look the same to me.  I remember when you could tell F1 cars apart”.

Even worse, Motorsport magazine has a feature on ‘2021 helmet designs’, and I’m wistfully remembering a bygone era when drivers kept the same helmet design through their entire career.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/gallery-2021-f1-helmet-designs

• I don't mind new helmets, but I strongly prefer when drivers keep the same basic idea through the years. DannyRic get a pass because at least his are nothing like the sparkly swooshy fades and streaks of all the other generic ones.

This year's cars are all pretty similar so far, which is to be expected. AT seems a little better with more blue. RB I literally couldn't tell you the difference, not that they're showing any interesting bits for real anyway. Either way I just hope they all have less grip all round so we can get bigger braking zones and more action.

Looking forward to Aston & Alpine purely to get something we know will be different. I'm also hopeful Williams will put a bit more work into theirs this year.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3758
    edited February 2021
    I don't see the point in all the fanfare around these car launches anymore. They're really just 'new sponsorship/livery launches', as we all know the cars always end up looking vastly different by the winter tests and the first races anyway. Pure marketing spiel.

The only vaguely interesting thing I've seen in the launches so far is the use of white wheel rims on the Alpha Tauri...

Looks cool IMO. When was the last time we saw white wheel rims in F1? The old mid-90s Schumacher Benneton maybe?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Williams to ditch Mercedes and become junior Alpine team to develop drivers - what will this mean for Russell?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!