who still makes Open Core strings 90 -30 ?

What's Hot
GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
Hey Guys

So im getting back into my bass playing after a near 10 years break (where i focusrf on guitar) & after looking around various online stores for a new set of 30-90 strings i for the life of my can not find any info on who offers open core E & A sets here in the UK, i can find a few US based string brands such as fodera/SIT/la bella but cant find any for those for sale on this side of the pond...well not at a cost im willing to pay!

I used to use the Trace elliot sig's set from either doug wimbush (30/50/75/95 as i recall) or mark king's 30-90's years ago but it seems they went the way of the dinosurs a long time back.....any Help plz (btw and i like lighter string because i'll go up and down tunings and i did/do a lot of slapping & tapping ect)

Cheers
GIz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23948
    Open Core as in Tapered?

Newtone will make them to order. They are excellent strings.

https://newtonestrings.com/bass-strings/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Open core are even more Exposed than tapered strings, there even more like piano, either will do it's just the B-quad im restringing doesn't like a mass of wining over the saddles due to the pizeo

full- taper-open/exposed core

thx for the newtone likn i'll go check it out

• I’ve been on a Bass strings recommended set for the last 8 months?
    Plenty of makes have a tapered B, but not many do an E anymore.
    I use Newtone for any odd string needs.

They are made to order so take a few weeks but they are very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Plenty of makes have a tapered B, but not many do an E anymore.
    I use Newtone for any odd string needs.

They are made to order so take a few weeks but they are very good.

Looks like they tick all by boxes and i see they also do piccolo sets which was going to be my next question,i'll drop and order in and post some feedback once there in

Cheers for the req have a few Wiz :)
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    edited July 2021
    So the exposed/thinner portion of the string goes over the saddle? Does it need to be a very short segment, otherwise it will affect intonation?

and does that help a B string to sound better with a 34 inch scale?
    edited July 2021
    jaymenon said:
    So the exposed/thinner portion of the string goes over the saddle? Does it need to be a very short segment, otherwise it will affect intonation?

and does that help a B string to sound better with a 34 inch scale?
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Sometimes. Although see the other thread on scale length. Construction quality is far more important than scale length, and so is string choice.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    jaymenon said:

Does it need to be a very short segment, otherwise it will affect intonation?
    Yes, you will need to adjust that. You will also need to raise the saddles since the wound part of the string is now lower relative to the frets,

They're a useful idea for basses, but there used to be a fashion for them for acoustic guitars as well (Rotosound Country Gold were the most common brand) and they often caused set-up issues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson